Adapter to use Nikon F lens on Sony E-mount

Hi, are there any suggestion for a good adapter in terms of brand and type, in order to use Nikkor F lens on Sony A7 cameras?

Of course the adapter has to keep camera’s features (e.g. AF) and fitting with the UW  housing space.

Any advices from who has already the experience are very welcome.

Thanks and Merry Christmas

Enrico

Adapting Nikon lenses is more problematic, due to the the variety of types on their AF lenses.  It is not currently possible to adapt older screw drive lenses which rules out the tokina 10-17 for example.  This link explains:

https://briansmith.com/where-are-the-nikon-af-lens-adapters/

Which particular lenses were you wanting to adapt?  AF performance also varies depending on the lens in question.

A couple of the available adapters like the Viltrox have a big tripod foot which interferes with mounting in a housing.  Here is a guide on Nikon AF adapters:

https://briansmith.com/nikon-lens-adapters-sony-e-mount-cameras/

I use the Monster adapter, which works well enough, although not as well developed as the Metabones adaptors for Canon lenses. It works best in back button focus shooting. It works only with AF-S lenses (newer Nikon SLR lenses). The old style AF-D lenses do not work with it (these lenses also do not work with Nikon Z cameras either).

With the fisheye it is completely fine to use and I have shot it a lot. With macro lenses it is less user friendly, but you can adapt to it easily enough.

8-15mm on Monster adaptor:

PH23_am-10587.jpg

60mm on Monster adaptor:  

RS23_am-10427.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

@Alex_Mustard Are you using any special port adapters in order to use your previous ports with the Nikon lenses and Monster adapter on your Sony housing? Nauticam's port charts specify a 35.5mm N100 to N120 adapter to convert to the Canon EF port system, but don't mention anything about what to use for the Nikon F port system.

17 minutes ago, Kamaros said:

@Alex_Mustard Are you using any special port adapters in order to use your previous ports with the Nikon lenses and Monster adapter on your Sony housing? Nauticam's port charts specify a 35.5mm N100 to N120 adapter to convert to the Canon EF port system, but don't mention anything about what to use for the Nikon F port system.

I had Subal housings for all my Nikon cameras - so I didn't have any Nauticam N120 ports to carry over to the N100 system, I am afraid. 

With the Nikon 8-15mm lens, I use a 30mm EXT ring with the 35.5mm adapter and dome. I have used the 60mm with the standard 90mm (although it is slightly long). But also with the N100 4" port and N100 20mm extension (which I don't think is on sale - although I have 2 of them).

Sorry that is not much help. I am sure others have used them with the N120 ports. 

Alex

• Like 1

• Thanks for your support!!

Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.