Info About Gates Housing for Sony FDR AX100-700

Hi to everyone!

Someone in this forum maybe are Gates and Sony user. I've a question about the Gates Housing for Sony FDR AX100, in particular about the port and the lenses for this housing. 

What I am wondering is if anyone has any experience regarding the possibility of mounting the SP34A standard lens on the Wide Angle Port GP34A (I have two different lenses but only the port GP34A). 

Thanks in advance!

Screenshot 2024-01-09 alle 21.39.23.png

• Like 1

Lorenzo,

What a unique question 😃

I have both ports. Sorry to say though I have no idea whether the lenses are interchangeable - if indeed that is your question - but I do know a sure way to find out: send an e-mail to Gates. I'm sure they will tell you what you need to know.

Let me guess there may be a problem if the lenses can be swapped. If you look at the illustration you provided above, the dome port clearly moves the lens farther away from the camera lens than either of the other two ports. I'd guess that even if you could put the SP34A lens on the GP34A port, some vignetting may occur with the SP34A lens if the camera is zoomed full wide.

Gates does say the lenses are field replaceable so maybe you could try it?

Hope this helps,

Tom

• Like 1

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the answer! 

Yes i know it's strange, but i've bought a used housing and with some tools and accessories I found two standard polycarbonate lenses and having only the GP34A port I wonder if I can switch it.

Sure! good idea I will try to write to Gates for more specific info.

I also thought about the same optical problem and the risk of vignetting when the lens is all zoomed wide.

I will definitely try to switch it, the thing I need to make sure of is that it can be closed properly and that it remains watertight.

Lorenzo

• Thanks for your support!!

Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.