Combining different Retra flashes

Is there anything against combining the two flashes Pro max and Prime? They should be identical in terms of handling and not so different in terms of weight underwater. 
I have ordered the pro max for testing. The display is nice but not absolutely necessary, so I'm thinking about saving a few bucks.😁👌🏼

Pro Max is 50% more powerful than the Prime; this can give you unbalanced light in your shots, which may or may not be desirable. You can counter it by setting the more powerful flash one click lower, but this might prove a bit annoying to keep track of in practice. I personally would just go with two Primes if your budget doesn't cover a pair of Pro Maxes - they are getting expensive enough that it's difficult to justify their cost (and I shoot a pair of 1st gen Retra Pros; paid about as much for the two as a single Pro Max costs now).

9 hours ago, Barmaglot said:

Pro Max is 50% more powerful than the Prime; this can give you unbalanced light in your shots, which may or may not be desirable. 

ok, thats a realy good point! Mhhh have to think about it 🙂 

Barmaglot’s point is a fair one. The only thing I’d add is that there’s nothing worse than going for the lower model…. then constantly thinking I should have bought the better one. Been there, regretted that. 

50 minutes ago, TimG said:

Barmaglot’s point is a fair one. The only thing I’d add is that there’s nothing worse than going for the lower model…. then constantly thinking I should have bought the better one. Been there, regretted that. 

Have to completely agree with Tim.  I’m a huge believer in buying what I really want/need up front so I only have to buy it once.  This will be for long term use and can be considered an investment, especially when cost per year is figured over time.  While it could be an initial challenge to balance, and if funds were tight, for me I would go for the max and then add a 2nd later. 

Edited by ChipBPhoto

• 1 month later...
  • Thanks for your support!!

Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.