Everything posted by KPV
-
Backscatter Strobe Test 2026
-
Matthias Lebo Demonstration Dive Light Test 18.000L VS 5.000L (Keldan, Divevolk, Seafrogs)
This is a marketing demo, not a real tech comparison, so nothing interesting. BTW I like Keldan's blueish color. It should give more balanced look.
- 20260826-IMG_0246.jpg
-
Grumman HU-16 Albatross, Red Sea
BTW this photo was taken durion this very trip https://www.sadko-safarifleet.com/itineraries/elba-reef and I can recommend this dive operator. I've been diving with them for three years now.
-
Grumman HU-16 Albatross, Red Sea
-
Grumman HU-16 Albatross, Red Sea
My friend, I'm sorry. It seems I missed notification. Here is it: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1vIjvrVLrFk_rHXXAkUbD8lBC0g1hWnN_?usp=sharing
-
Strobe comparison table
Did you take all that photos with similar settings? What was the white balance?
-
PVC Foam Floats
I ordered stix floats, but they delivery seriously delayed. I need to find some solution for an upcoming trip. I definitely give that material a try. I found that material may have compressive strength from 0.15 to 0.5 MPa (1.5-5 bar), but I don't know what kind of material I have. So wish me luck.
-
PVC Foam Floats
Can expanded polystyrene withstand 30 meter depth?
-
Underwater photographers: how do you identify species after a trip?
deleted
-
Grumman HU-16 Albatross, Red Sea
-
Beautiful soft corals, Southern Red Sea
-
Caverns, Southern Red Sea
-
Grumman HU-16 Albatross, Red Sea
-
Grumman HU-16 Albatross, Red Sea
-
Grumman HU-16 Albatross, Red Sea
-
Grumman HU-16 Albatross, Red Sea
-
Grumman HU-16 Albatross, Red Sea
-
new Ansmann 3500mAh AA batteries
2200 mAh sounds totally legit. I guess 3600 model number it's rounded mWh.
-
new Ansmann 3500mAh AA batteries
I don't believe it. We need some tests to confirm it's capacity. For what I know best 14500 (AA) Li-Ion batteries have around 1000 mAh. At 3.7V it's 3.7 Wh but the ad stated it's 4.89 Wh. The battery inside should be shorter than 50 mm to leave a space for a voltage stabilizer and charging circuit. So in my guess 1320 mAh for the lithuim inside is a scam. I've found 14430 with 1050mAh capacity and it's 3.78 Wh https://keeppower.com/product/keeppower-14430-1050mah-protected-li-ion-rechargeable-battery-p1443c3/ And another 14430 with 1300 mAh and it's 4.81 Wh https://www.akkuteile.de/en/lithium-ionen-battery/size-14430_100212_3661 So it looks possible if not take to account losses on DC-DC transformation. But it has low constant discharge current, so I think it would have low max pulse current.
-
White balance & color calibration card - anybody using it?
White fins and buddy's aluminum cylinder which is gray. In video mode white balance must be set before shooting. If you really want to get technically accurate colors you can use cheap and large color checker analogues. But I think it would be inconvinient to carry and use during a group dive.
-
Strobes Seafrogs SF-01 or Sea&Sea YS-D3 DUO
I decided to buy a pair of Sea&Sea YS-D3 DUO. Would it be better to use 5-pin sync cable for manual only operation? Would it be reliable? I just don't want to deal with extra piece of equipment with battery inside my housing for optical triggering. My housing has a 5-pin socket.
-
Strobes Seafrogs SF-01 or Sea&Sea YS-D3 DUO
I've found that SnS DS-TTL works as INON S-TTL https://www.inon.jp/technicalguide/sttl-auto.html So it seems like a better choise for TTL and manual for cameras with built in flash. But mine Seafrogs optical trigger doesn't work with TTL signal, unfortunately.
-
Must Watch Video: Dome Port Theory Explained
Thank you. I've seen these pictures before, but I haven't seen the actual result.
-
Must Watch Video: Dome Port Theory Explained
How does the position of the dome's center relative to the lens center affect the image? What will the effect be and how pronounced is it? I saw a YouTube video by Alex Mustard where he said that if positioned incorrectly, a 230mm dome will be as soft in the corners as a 160mm canopy. Is that the only effect? There's also a small 8" dome from Ikelite, which is part of an 8" hemispherical dome. Its center is clearly not aligned with the center of the lens, but no one has ever complained about the photo quality.