Mikes Jimenezs & Tonys Whales Photos is one off my favorites.
Intresting to see that most off the photographers have a creature portrait as favorite shot.
What I am missing is more creative WA angles photos. I have not grat WA untill now but maybe some have it.
Lambis
all the shots are incredible, but tony woo whales incredible!!!!
It's very difficult for me personally to choose a favorite or 'best' shot (and there are some I don't want to release yet )...but I really enjoy the 'pop-art' look this one turned out with, even though the background is a little hot...
People (non-divers) seem surpised when I tell them it's from just off the California coast.
Canon 20D, 100mm
Santa Rosa Island, Channel Islands
~Matt Segal
My favourite of the year.
It was the first time I had encountered "Hippocampus denise" . - thanks Max & Ricardo.
One of a series I put onto canvas this year - not the sharpest but it works very nicely as an art print.
I always find myself drawn back to the texture of the shot.
Peter
I have this one. Shot in Sipadan Jan 05
Cheers,
Andrej
www.abelic.net
Great shots...guess I will be brave enough to post my first one...this was my favorite shot of the year...although maybe not the best. It was shot at Ship Rock off Catalina Island, California.
all of these pictures are truly amazing and inspiring to a newbie like me. i hope i have something worthy to show you all next year.
happy holidays, and keep up the fantastic work.
matt
This is mine, mainly because of the subject rather than the photo and also it is one of the few shots I have ever planned (i.e. gone into the water with a specific goal in mind and acheived waht was in my minds eye)
Here's mine from the Revelligegodos Islands last month:
Jack
My favourite this year is this moustache dressed nudi from Marsa Alam.
The "personality" of the nudi is what drags me back to this picture over and over again.
My favorite photo of 2005:
I keep coming back to this one. I like the action and the fact that the spots is from a whale shark. And everytime I look on it I am thinking of the 51 other whale sharks we saw in only four days. It is by the way taken in Donsol in the Philippines. You are not allowed to scuba dive there, but only skin dive - and no flash - no touch and a distance of 3 meters (which nobody has told the whale sharks!)
Nikon D100, 17-35 mm, 1/10, F8
My favorite in '05
All of them truly spectacular. The close up of that tiger shark gave me the willies just looking at it! I'm not sure how you get a shot like that....I'd be making a mess of the water
The close up of that tiger shark gave me the willies just looking at it!
Worse, I've trying to delete the image of the great white shark on page 1 from my brain so that I can once again dive comfortably in Monterey California!
There's nothing like having something brush against your leg while doing a long surface swim in water where great whites have been spotted.
-Brad
Here's mine from the Red Sea in June - it's actually 4 Autostiched into a single image but since its Xmas maybe that will be OK
Sea Lion Tug of War, Sea of Cortez
While this is definitely not my most beautiful, artistic, or esthetically pleasing photo of the year, as a father, it is definitely my favorite. After all, how many of us have a tiger shark and our 12 year old son in the same frame.
First of all, awesome thread Alex! Thanks for starting it. There is some beautiful stuff here. I am also enjoying the many different motivations being given for favourite photo, not just technical execution but time and place and memory.
This is my favourite of 2005. It is from a trip to Port Hardy this fall. Although I am Canadian, I had never done any cold water diving. The pictures posted from Port Hardy in the past had always amazed me with their colour and variety. This photo is also from my first trip with the DSLR, and my first encounter with a wolf eel. It was magical.
Here's one I like because of the optical illusion - baby crocodile fish hiding in the sand. Congratulations all, there are some wonderful images here!