Nikon, fisheye lenses and combinations with Kenko 1.4 TCs.

Here's a write-up I did pre-Waterpixels on using a Kenko 1.4 TC with various Nikon camera bodies and lenses..... I thought it worth copying here.

There's been some discussion of late of various combinations of lenses with a Kenko 1.4TC: what works, what doesn't.

I've got  both the Kenko 1.4TC DG and DGX models, a Nikon D500, a Z6, the Tokina 10-17 and the Nikkor 8-15. I thought Wetpixelers might find it useful to see the results of the various combinations. 

What works is in bold.

D500 (DX)

D500 + Kenko Telepro Plus 300 DG + Tokina 10-17: AF works; no vignetting at any focal length

D500 + Kenko Telepro Plus 300 DGX + Tokina 10-17: AF works; no vignetting at any focal length

D500 + Kenko Telepro Plus 300 DG + Nikkor 8-15: Err message. No AF; no vignetting at any focal length

D500 + Kenko Telepro Plus 300 DGX + Nikkor 8-15: AF works; no vignetting at any focal length

Nikon Z6 (and, presumably Z7) with firmware 3.0

Z6 + FTZ + Kenko Telepro Plus 300 DG + Nikkor 8-15: AF works; vignettes with hood attached after 11

Z6 + FTZ + Kenko Telepro Plus 300 DGX + Nikkor 8-15: No AF; No aperture readout; vignettes with hood attached after 11

Z6 + FTZ + Kenko Telepro Plus 300 DG + Tokina 10-17 : No AF; aperture read out; vignettes with hood attached after 11

Z6 + FTZ + Kenko Telepro Plus 300 DGX + Tokina 10-17 : No AF; No aperture read out; vignettes with hood attached after 11

Conclusion

a. If you want to use the Kenko with a Tokina 10-17 on a D500 no problem with the DG or DGX model

b. If you want to use the Kenko with a Nikkor 8-15 on a D500, you need the DGX model

c. If you want to use the Kenko with a Nikkor 8-15 on a Z6/Z7 you need the DG model

d. Forget trying to use either the Kenko DG or DGX with a Tokina 10-17 on the Z6/Z7 (well why would you anyway)

I don't have the Kenko HD model so can't comment on that but perhaps if someone has, they could add the data for that.

Hope this helps, guys

Tim

• Like 1

For the Nikon Z8 I can confirm that the Kenko N-AF 1.4x Teleplus pro 300 DGX works without any problem, using the FTZ and the 8-15mm Fisheye.

The newer version with "HD" did not work with the Z8! No AF and no aperture control. Interestingly it works fine, if you attach it while the camera is "on", but as soon as the camera is in "sleep mode", it stops working. If you attach it while the camera is switched "off", it will also not work after turning the camera "on".

I tested it for the last firmware before going to Version 2.0. But I don't think firmware updates will change anything about the compatibility of the TCs.

• Thanks 2

• 2 months later...

I made a quick check and can confirm this. The Teleplus HDpro + 8-15mm does not work with the Z8 (F error) while the same combination works flawlessly with the D500. Too bad, since I decided to buy a housing for the Z8 and sell my Aquatica AD500.

I still have an older N-AF Teleplus Pro 300 but this not even worked with the D500 + 8-15mm (Tokina 10-17mm was OK). The TC might be defect, so I replaced it with the HDpro.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/25/2024 at 9:30 PM, Seewolf said:

I made a quick check and can confirm this. The Teleplus HDpro + 8-15mm does not work with the Z8 (F error) while the same combination works flawlessly with the D500. Too bad, since I decided to buy a housing for the Z8 and sell my Aquatica AD500.

I still have an older N-AF Teleplus Pro 300 but this not even worked with the D500 + 8-15mm (Tokina 10-17mm was OK). The TC might be defect, so I replaced it with the HDpro.

Yes, it is really strange. The HDPro version also worked flawlessly with the D850 and the 8-15mm Fisheye. I have no idea why it doesn't work on the Z8 or Z9 (testet it on both cameras). It is also very strange that the older version 300 DGX does work with Z8/Z9. 🤷‍♂️

• Thanks for your support!!

Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.