Sony A7S3 lens choice/video

Hi all,

Wondered what folks were using for video on their A7S3? I own an adapted Canon 8-15mm, Sony 90mm macro and have the relevant dome/port. I also own the Sony 16-35mm and was going to use it for video. Should I buy the dome for the 16-35 or is there a better option (eg 28-60 and WWL)?

Appreciate any thoughts/comments.

Thanks,

Fraser.

Hi Fraser,

I was just talking to a buddy that does uw pro video work about lenses, ports, etc.  His choice is the WACP-1 zoomed in to around 30mm or more to offset the very slight fisheye effect that could exist at the corners at 28mm.  Based on your question, the 16-35 rectilinear with appropriate dome or the 28-60 with WWL zoomed in slightly would be the best match to what he uses.  

I personally have used the WWL with the 28-60 for almost 4 years.  For me, I love the size and quality compared to a 230 dome for the 16-35.  Unless you want to do splits, which the WWL cannot do, I think it is a terrific all around solution.  It also works quite well for close focus allowing the subject to almost touch the dome.  While not as sharp in the corners as the WACP-1, it is based on the same design, just smaller and much less expensive.  At f/11-13 I have never had corner issues with the WWL.  I often will go to f/9 when corners or DoF are not as much of a factor. 

If you want a similar dry mount zoom, you can also check out the WACP-C with the 28-60.  It is also a smaller, cheaper cousin of the WACP-1, but eliminates the water layer found between the WWL and attached dry port.  It may be slightly sharper than the WWL, but nothing to get overly excited about.  There are some pre-owned models that may start appearing with the introduction of the FCP.

I hope this helps!

chip

Edited by ChipBPhoto
  • Like 2

Mostly depends on the look you want

if you prefer rectilinear you should invest in the dome set up if not wwl-1 is fine 

4K video doesn’t require super large wacp or else and there is no difference you can see between WACP-c and wwl-1 with the 28-60 is mostly about dry vs wet mount

consider also the drag a large dome has much more than wwl-1 port

Hi Frase,

I had the same question about the 1635PZ and a dome and got hte hint AFAIK from Alex Mustard that the performance over water is great but under the surface it is noch recommended. I own the WACP-C and am really happy about sharpness and fully usable zoom range with the 28-60. I'd recommend it.

And as ChipBPhoto pointed out - in fact I went for the FCP and will use it in two weeks for the first time in the red sea. The WACP-C can be found in the classified section 😁.

Attached one of the pics with the WACP-C

DSC06142.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I am using the A7S-III with the 28-60 and the WWL-1B. It's just about the perfect setup for video. I have also tried the WACP and the WACP-C, which my wife uses with her Canon 5DSR setup for stills. I think the WACP lenses have a small advantage for still images, but for video the WWL-1B works very well, with the advantage that you can take it on and off underwater.

Sony is the only full-frame system that can use the WWL-1B, which was originally designed for compact and micro 4/3 cameras. The compact size is a substantial benefit.

Here is some ungraded footage from a couple weeks ago. The edit was done in 2 hours on the passage back to San Jose, so it's pretty sloppy. It was intended for sharing among our friends on the boat. All of the footage is straight out of the camera.

Sony A7SIII, Nauticam A1 housing, Atomos Ninja in Nauticam Housing, Keldan Luna 8 (cyan module), Keldan 4X (AF12B Ambient), Sony 28-60 lens, Nauticam WWL-1B. Standard color profile, XAVC HS 4K 10 bit 4:2:2

I recorded the humpback whale song recorded with a stereo pair of Aquarian hydrophones on Sony PCM D100 recorder. First music track ("Contigo en las Distancia" by Trio Tres Joyas) is an audition track recorded by our producer Yenkys Gonzalez in 2017. Drone footage courtesy of Diego Medina.

Edited by Jim Laurel
  • Like 3

On 4/24/2024 at 3:40 AM, Jim Laurel said:

I am using the A7S-III with the 28-60 and the WWL-1B. It's just about the perfect setup for video. I have also tried the WACP and the WACP-C, which my wife uses with her Canon 5DSR setup for stills. I think the WACP lenses have a small advantage for still images, but for video the WWL-1B works very well, with the advantage that you can take it on and off underwater.

Sony is the only full-frame system that can use the WWL-1B, which was originally designed for compact and micro 4/3 cameras. The compact size is a substantial benefit.

Here is some ungraded footage from a couple weeks ago. The edit was done in 2 hours on the passage back to San Jose, so it's pretty sloppy. It was intended for sharing among our friends on the boat. All of the footage is straight out of the camera.

Sony A7SIII, Nauticam A1 housing, Atomos Ninja in Nauticam Housing, Keldan Luna 8 (cyan module), Keldan 4X (AF12B Ambient), Sony 28-60 lens, Nauticam WWL-1B. Standard color profile, XAVC HS 4K 10 bit 4:2:2

I recorded the humpback whale song recorded with a stereo pair of Aquarian hydrophones on Sony PCM D100 recorder. First music track ("Contigo en las Distancia" by Trio Tres Joyas) is an audition track recorded by our producer Yenkys Gonzalez in 2017. Drone footage courtesy of Diego Medina.

There are pretty nice shots Jim, one can see you have steady hand 👍.

I have used on that trip 16-35F4PZ which was kinda sweet that I mapped zoom to buttons on the back of the housing (A1) and when I wanted to follow the subject and even continue to S35 mode for extra reach it was super easy.  

• Like 1

Some lovely work on your Instagram, Roman. I see you're a manta fan like me!

What dome are you using with that 16-35?

--Jim

1 hour ago, RomiK said:

There are pretty nice shots Jim, one can see you have steady hand 👍.

I have used on that trip 16-35F4PZ which was kinda sweet that I mapped zoom to buttons on the back of the housing (A1) and when I wanted to follow the subject and even continue to S35 mode for extra reach it was super easy.  

9 hours ago, Jim Laurel said:

Some lovely work on your Instagram, Roman. I see you're a manta fan like me!

What dome are you using with that 16-35?

--Jim

Thank you Jim 🤙 I am a (name) godfather to 5 mantas now! 😁. I am using 180mm glass and the camera is neutral with it and also with Shinobi monitor on it (no lights nothing just these two) 🤙

• 2 months later...
On 4/23/2024 at 6:40 PM, Jim Laurel said:

Hi Jim,

Sorry I've been away from my computer for a couple months and only just checked this thread again. Thanks so much for your helpful post, and lovely video right out of camera. Also what an incredible dolphin encounter! Super jealous.

I'm sold on the WWL1B, thanks everyone for the comments!

Fraser.

• Thanks for your support!!

Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.