NEW - Backscatter Hybrid Flash

3 hours ago, DreiFish said:

The whole reason for CRI measurements is that the LEDs used in video lights don't produce the same full spectrum of colors found in halogen bulbs or sunlight. So the higher the CRI, the more 'natural' the light appears. LEDs have historically been very bright in some parts of the spectrum, but produced very little in other parts, like the reds.

Strobes with their zenon tubes don't have this issue. All zenon strobes are essentially CRI 100.

That's my understanding at least. Happy to be corrected and learn something new.

This is correct, a strobe is 100 CRI.  The light is produced by heating the Xenon in the tube to around 5000 kelvin and the radiation approximates black body radiation - a continuous spectrum.  Better quality LEDs can produce a more complete range of wavelengths that get close to the strobe but you pay $$$ for this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Backscatter's dedicated video light, the MW4300, has LEDs with a CRI of 71.1 / 70.3 on which is a bit of a letdown compared to what is available on the market, especially since the light is otherwise well designed...
  Wondering if the CRI of the video light included in this strobe/light combo has improved, which could  herald an upgrade of the LEDs used in Backscatter video lights as well...

Edited by bghazzal
  • Like 1

One of the most important features of both of Backscatter's solutions (Video Light MW4300 and Hybrid Flash HF-1) is the user-replaceable battery system. I think it's a great idea (of course, always with quality batteries) and it should be the market trend. I mean standard 18650 or 21700 batteries, not batteries fitted into a pack with a proprietary system of the brands.

About the Backscatter MW4300, it's coming time for an upgrade: more power and better CRI with the same price and weight. 4 years without updates is a long time with the advancement of technology.

• Like 1

I have yet to come across a single reputable and popular land strobe manufacturer that uses loose Li-ion battery cells, such as 18650 or 21700, as the power source. Smaller strobes (speed-lights, etc.) typically use NiMH batteries, while larger strobes use proprietary Li-ion battery packs.

The ongoing trend of using loose Li-ion cells in underwater strobes is driven purely by low-cost manufacturers who push these cells to enhance their spec sheets at minimal cost.

When single 21700 or 18650 Li-ion cells are used in products, there is no issue. However, we are now seeing dual cells and potentially triple cells in the future to improve performance. This is a very slippery slope, as Li-ion batteries in configurations of more than one cell require careful monitoring during discharge. Different batteries have different internal resistances, which can cause them to overly discharge. Proprietary battery packs effectively solve this issue by internally balancing their batteries, ensuring safety for users.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I understand your approach @Jerry Diver, and I hope that brands do it because of what you mention. If it weren't for the fact that they triple the price of their batteries, when internally they carry 3-4 standard 18650 or 21700 batteries.

And watch out! that many packs "die" just because a single cell "dies" or does not give enough voltage and it is only possible to replace the entire proprietary battery packs.

The problem is low-cost standard batteries and unknown brands, or counterfeits. Another important issue is having a good charger that measures the amperage and voltage of standard batteries.

Edited by turandot
  • Like 2

And why didn't the strobe manufacturer use some 32650 ?  and why not put 2 of then in the strobe and add the management in the strobe and not in the batterie pack ?

Sorry if it's a stupid question .

I use 5 bigblue torch with 32650... very happy of this solution 

• Like 1

Different airline and airport check-in rules vary. There is a usually a limit on the size of batteries that can be carried within a device. Over a certain size, they must be removed. Over another size and you may not be allowed to carry at all without a bunch of extra paperwork. Discrete and removable batteries mean you can't get caught in that trap.

Removable batteries can also be swapped out for a second set for a quick turn around. 

• Like 2

The problem with the brands' proprietary battery packs is that if they stop manufacturing them, they leave you stranded. It has already happened to me with batteries from the X-Adventurer brand and one of their underwater video flashlight. Getting stranded with two underwater video spotlights is a big problem because of their high price and large investment.

That's why I like the system chosen by Backscatter for its Video light MW4300 and Hybrid Flash HF-1.

• Like 1

I took the time to read through the manual (available for download from Backscatter's article)while waiting for my HF-1 to arrive (getting kinda excited here... ) and noticed a few interesting tidbits not mentioned in the review article or video:

Dimensions

• 1140g in air, -250g negative in water (with batteries)
  • 94mm diameter, 162mm length

HSS

• Note: Super FP/HSS reduces flash output compared to regular shooting. Only use it for close-up shooting. The flash will diminish the faster the shutter speed is set.
  • Note: The Hybrid Flash has one output power in HSS mode. Changing the shutter speed to dial in the flash exposure is the recommended method for altering the flash in the image.
  • Note: For HSS use, Sony cameras must have the Shutter type be mechanical and e-front curtain shutter (if offered as an option) must be off. If these menu settings are not made banding may appear in the image, which will worsen with faster shutter speeds. This setting is not specific to the Hybrid Flash, this is for any Sony camera being used with a HSS compatible flash. Please see your Sony camera instruction manual for more details.
  • Pro Tip: If you primarily shoot in TTL flash mode it is recommended to use the SC mode (rather than HSS mode) on the Hybrid Flash to do HSS as there are no changes needed to switch from normal TTL operation to HSS operation.

Remote Lighting Control (REM)

• Note: It is possible to use a Mini Flash 2 as a main flash to send signals to a Hybrid Flash or to receive signals from a remote strobe from a Hybrid Flash. Since there are only 7 power levels on a Mini Flash 2 and 12 power levels on a Hybrid Flash, only the top 7 power levels will be able to be used in remote operation when combining a Mini Flash 2 with a Hybrid Flash.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, turandot said:

I understand your approach @Jerry Diver, and I hope that brands do it because of what you mention. If it weren't for the fact that they triple the price of their batteries, when internally they carry 3-4 standard 18650 or 21700 batteries.

And watch out! that many packs "die" just because a single cell "dies" or does not give enough voltage and it is only possible to replace the entire proprietary battery packs.

The problem is low-cost standard batteries and unknown brands, or counterfeits. Another important issue is having a good charger that measures the amperage and voltage of standard batteries.

We can buy off-the-shelf batteries at a low price, but it's not as simple or cheap to make a safe and durable battery pack with multiple cells. When done right, each cell is measured for internal resistance and paired with similar ones. Off-the-shelf batteries don’t provide this info, but it’s crucial when combining cells.

A battery pack should "die" when one cell fails, which makes it safer than the alternatives.

I completely agree that proprietary battery packs are more expensive in many ways, but in my vie the cost is small compared to the potential risks of carrying high-capacity loose Li-ion cells and charging them on liveaboards, etc.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.