Socorro Help

Hi, planning a potential trip to Soccoro in early December. I'm wondering on what lenses/setup would be most appropriate. From what I can tell the mantas like to get up close and personal, but not sure about the rest of the marine life.

I have an adapted 8-15mm Canon Fisheye I shoot on my Olympus EM5-III that I think will cover most of my needs. Let me know if this is wrong. I only shoot stills.

My partner shoots video on a GH5-II. She currently only has the Olympus 8mm fisheye for wide angle, the rest of her lenses are for macro. She also has 2 Backscatter MW-4300 lights.  Is this going to leave her disappointed? I imagine the 8mm fisheye might not have enough reach for sharks, etc. Would a 14-42mm kit lens with a Nauticam WWL be a better option? Also not sure if she'll regret not having pore powerful lights.

Any advise appreciated. Thanks!

I was there in February. While it's possible to get some close encounters, you'll want some additional reach most of the time. I think the 8-15mm is a reasonable choice, but may still require some cropping to fill the frame with some subjects. 

I think your partner will struggle with just the 8mm, particularly for skittish subjects like sharks. The WWL is just about perfect for Socorro (in fact, I personally shot exclusively with the WACP-C + 28-70 when I went, which actually has less zoom range than the 14-42).

I don't shoot video so I'm not really qualified to comment on that front, but many subjects were frequently out of strobe range so I'm not sure more powerful video lights would make a difference in most cases.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Kamaros said:

I was there in February. While it's possible to get some close encounters, you'll want some additional reach most of the time. I think the 8-15mm is a reasonable choice, but may still require some cropping to fill the frame with some subjects. 

I think your partner will struggle with just the 8mm, particularly for skittish subjects like sharks. The WWL is just about perfect for Socorro (in fact, I personally shot exclusively with the WACP-C + 28-70 when I went, which actually has less zoom range than the 14-42).

I don't shoot video so I'm not really qualified to comment on that front, but many subjects were frequently out of strobe range so I'm not sure more powerful video lights would make a difference in most cases.

Thanks, this is super useful! I'll start looking around for a WWL. Sounds like natural light may be the way to go as we're not going to be spending the $$$ for 20k lumen keldans when we primarily shoot macro ^_^

Edited by Whiskeyjack
grammar

On 4/23/2024 at 3:02 AM, Whiskeyjack said:

My partner shoots video on a GH5-II. She currently only has the Olympus 8mm fisheye for wide angle, the rest of her lenses are for macro. She also has 2 Backscatter MW-4300 lights.  Is this going to leave her disappointed? I imagine the 8mm fisheye might not have enough reach for sharks, etc. Would a 14-42mm kit lens with a Nauticam WWL be a better option?

Another cheaper option is the 12-35mm with the 6" Nauticam dome (check the classified section). While being narrower, it has an incredibly quality. 

If your wife is into macro, that combo is terrific for medium close-up too.

• Like 2

On 4/23/2024 at 3:02 AM, Whiskeyjack said:

Hi, planning a potential trip to Soccoro in early December. I'm wondering on what lenses/setup would be most appropriate. From what I can tell the mantas like to get up close and personal, but not sure about the rest of the marine life.

I have an adapted 8-15mm Canon Fisheye I shoot on my Olympus EM5-III that I think will cover most of my needs. Let me know if this is wrong. I only shoot stills.

My partner shoots video on a GH5-II. She currently only has the Olympus 8mm fisheye for wide angle, the rest of her lenses are for macro. She also has 2 Backscatter MW-4300 lights.  Is this going to leave her disappointed? I imagine the 8mm fisheye might not have enough reach for sharks, etc. Would a 14-42mm kit lens with a Nauticam WWL be a better option? Also not sure if she'll regret not having pore powerful lights.

Any advise appreciated. Thanks!

Socorro is all about go big or go home. It's sharks, mantas, dolphins, shoals of fish. WWL1 - perfect! 8-15 canon on m43 - what's not to like? I wouldn't bother with other options. You need 16-35 equivalent and keep it simple. I had 16-35F4G on 180mm glass dome. Mantas and dolphins are very friendly and don't care about anything. Hammerheads - if you want to get closer to them switch off the video lights. They did not seem to be bothered with strobes. Here is quick teaser 🙂  (just quick stick in afternoon on the way back 🙈). Enjoy your trip 🤙

• Like 5

Adapted Canon 8-15mm is probably perfect, but 8mm fisheye may be too wide...

A alternative to WWL-1, that is small and handsome and provides very good IQ is adapted Tokina 10-17mm (Canon EF version) with 1x glassless adapter (can be exchanged against 0.71x speedbooster for wider angle), Zen DP100 (N120 version without built in extension) and 20mm N120 extension (same extension can be used also with 0.71x speedbooster for wider angle, if required). This combo is not as wide compared to Canon 8-15mm, it covers practical the range of WWL-1, but is much smaller than WWL-1 and IQ is, at least, the same...

Lisi, my wife, used this combination (with 1x adapter) on almost every dive on our last trip to Providencia. Highlight there are Carribean reefsharks that are non-baited/feeded. They come close sometimes, but not as close as e.g. oceanic whitetip sharks...

Wolfgang

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChipBPhoto said:

Nicely done!  Never really considered Soccoro, but now may put it in the list. 

Thank you! It’s fun! The luck brings great opportunities for the big stuff photos and then there are dolphins 🙈😂

• Like 1

Thanks for all the advice everyone. It sounds like the 8mm fisheye may not be the best option. I'll start looking around for any of the following:

WWL1 + 14-42 kit lens
adapted Tokina 10-17mm
12-35mm with the 6" Nauticam dome

It will likely some down to if i can find any of these used for a good price!

11 hours ago, Architeuthis said:

Adapted Canon 8-15mm is probably perfect, but 8mm fisheye may be too wide...

A alternative to WWL-1, that is small and handsome and provides very good IQ is adapted Tokina 10-17mm (Canon EF version) with 1x glassless adapter (can be exchanged against 0.71x speedbooster for wider angle), Zen DP100 (N120 version without built in extension) and 20mm N120 extension (same extension can be used also with 0.71x speedbooster for wider angle, if required). This combo is not as wide compared to Canon 8-15mm, it covers practical the range of WWL-1, but is much smaller than WWL-1 and IQ is, at least, the same...

Lisi, my wife, used this combination (with 1x adapter) on almost every dive on our last trip to Providencia. Highlight there are Carribean reefsharks that are non-baited/feeded. They come close sometimes, but not as close as e.g. oceanic whitetip sharks...

Wolfgang

I saw this on the metabones website regarding the 1.0x glass-less adapter:

Panasonic video AF may hunt more than a native lens or have unsatisfactory performance.

Does your wife shoot video? Just wondering how much this will actually affect the AF.

4 hours ago, Whiskeyjack said:

Thanks for all the advice everyone. It sounds like the 8mm fisheye may not be the best option. I'll start looking around for any of the following:

WWL1 + 14-42 kit lens
adapted Tokina 10-17mm
12-35mm with the 6" Nauticam dome

It will likely some down to if i can find any of these used for a good price!

I would skip adapted versions if I could (owner of gh5s here...) , you want good fast AF and also for video... I always ask myself a question - how much the trip(s) cost?  Would extra couple hundreds make a difference...

12-35 is not wide enough. If I'd be already adapted Canon 8-15 I'd keep it. For new buys the 14-42 WWL1 is option #1 and Leica 8-18 in a 180mm glass would be particularly sweet. The art of light Leica provides is hard to match 🤙

5 hours ago, Whiskeyjack said:

I saw this on the metabones website regarding the 1.0x glass-less adapter:

Does your wife shoot video? Just wondering how much this will actually affect the AF.

No, she does not make videos. I also make very little video only. In my MFT times I was focusing before I started video recording and during the recording by hand or seldom single spot AF actions (because of hunting, that was always a problem during video with EM1II and EM5II, with all the lenses I had). I cannot remember to have ever made video with the Tokina (I used it seldom, because I had the Canon 8-15)...

Wolfgang

1 hour ago, RomiK said:

I would skip adapted versions if I could (owner of gh5s here...) , you want good fast AF and also for video... I always ask myself a question - how much the trip(s) cost?  Would extra couple hundreds make a difference...

12-35 is not wide enough. If I'd be already adapted Canon 8-15 I'd keep it. For new buys the 14-42 WWL1 is option #1 and Leica 8-18 in a 180mm glass would be particularly sweet. The art of light Leica provides is hard to match 🤙

When we are talking now about the rectilinear WA options, I throw in the Zuiko 8-15mm. Lisi has it and uses it with the Zen DP170 (I also used it some times). It gives brilliant results, it is a highly recommendable UW lens...

Wolfgang

Edited by Architeuthis

6 hours ago, Whiskeyjack said:

Thanks for the input. I'm leaning towards the 14-42mm + WWL-1 for my wife and video and then I'll stick with my adapted 8-15mm for stills.

Awesome choice. Make sure you either get Nauticam extension for bayonet adapter release or you make your own (I did zip tie) - your wife will want to clean bubbles after each drop from zodiac - the buoyancy collar of wwl1B gets in the way. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Whiskeyjack said:

Thanks for the input. I'm leaning towards the 14-42mm + WWL-1 for my wife and video and then I'll stick with my adapted 8-15mm for stills.

Just a note to be aware of on the 14-42 -do some research on models, and maybe test a second hand.  I am now on my second of the Oly "Pancake" lenses.  I had a problem where the electrical connector that operates the aperture gave out - I could pick  shutter speed, but aperture read -/- .  No amount of fiddling would fix it, as the copper track that operates it had broken.   Google showed me it's a bit of a known issue, as it folds in and out with the zoom function.... metal fatigue seems to win out. 

• Like 2

This thread has come at a good time, as i am planning Socorros in July next year myself.

I was actually thinking of adding a wide angle adapter to my 30mm macro lens in an Oly rig (so 60mm FF equivalent).   Toying between the MWL-1 and one of the screw-in adapters from Kenko/Weefine (was initially thinking of the less expensive option but given the hassle of screwing it in/out all the time, the Nauticam is increasing in appeal).

As someone who almost always shoots fisheye when going wide angle, i am a bit concerned about the 130 FOV of the WWL1 - the 150FOV of the 30mm + WA lens seems a lot more useful for big stuff (I’d rather get a few really special shots of something up close than a bunch of record shots from far away).

Any thoughts?

RajaAmpat-Dec19-330v2.jpeg

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Socorro Help
9 hours ago, JustinO said:

Just a note to be aware of on the 14-42 -do some research on models, and maybe test a second hand.  I am now on my second of the Oly "Pancake" lenses.  I had a problem where the electrical connector that operates the aperture gave out - I could pick  shutter speed, but aperture read -/- .  No amount of fiddling would fix it, as the copper track that operates it had broken.   Google showed me it's a bit of a known issue, as it folds in and out with the zoom function.... metal fatigue seems to win out. 

Thanks for the heads up. I own one of the Panasonic variants already so I'm planning on sticking with that one unless it presents any issues.

9 hours ago, vkalia said:

This thread has come at a good time, as i am planning Socorros in July next year myself.

I was actually thinking of adding a wide angle adapter to my 30mm macro lens in an Oly rig (so 60mm FF equivalent).   Toying between the MWL-1 and one of the screw-in adapters from Kenko/Weefine (was initially thinking of the less expensive option but given the hassle of screwing it in/out all the time, the Nauticam is increasing in appeal).

As someone who almost always shoots fisheye when going wide angle, i am a bit concerned about the 130 FOV of the WWL1 - the 150FOV of the 30mm + WA lens seems a lot more useful for big stuff (I’d rather get a few really special shots of something up close than a bunch of record shots from far away).

Any thoughts?

RajaAmpat-Dec19-330v2.jpeg

My impression from people that have been there and this thread is that perhaps the fisheye would be a good choice for the mantas (and maybe the dolphins as well?) since they don't seem to mind extreme proximity. The hammerheads in particular though i think is where the fisheye will struggle.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 4/24/2024 at 2:18 PM, RomiK said:

Socorro is all about go big or go home. It's sharks, mantas, dolphins, shoals of fish. WWL1 - perfect! 8-15 canon on m43 - what's not to like? I wouldn't bother with other options. You need 16-35 equivalent and keep it simple. I had 16-35F4G on 180mm glass dome. Mantas and dolphins are very friendly and don't care about anything. Hammerheads - if you want to get closer to them switch off the video lights. They did not seem to be bothered with strobes. Here is quick teaser 🙂  (just quick stick in afternoon on the way back 🙈). Enjoy your trip 🤙

Amazing video. If I see half of that in January, I will be a happy man.

• Like 1

• Thanks for your support!!

Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.