Sony A1 extreme custom WB sample with RAW

I am inviting anyone to explore attached raw file shot with custom white balance in ambient light in about 30m depth. Any and all theories as to why colors are as such and the real ISO value are welcomed. Not even Sony's own editor was able to show blue water. My guess is the issue is with raw interpreters, the videos shot under the same white balance were showing fine.

Lightroom this sample file shows as shot at 50000/150, the other files from other screenshot were both showing 33000/150 and one showed water blue and the other purple... have fun 🙂

Screenshot 2024-04-27 at 10.17.04 AM.jpg

Screenshot 2024-04-27 at 10.33.39 AM.jpg

Screenshot 2024-04-27 at 10.32.06 AM.jpg

Screenshot 2024-04-27 at 10.31.47 AM.jpg

20240318-085516.ARW

Backlit shots do not work well with custom white balance that is true also on the surface

If you want to set custom white balance do it with the light behind you or over your slate

As white balance is just metadata once you go too deep all sort of issue happen with the multiplications 

Because red were near zero there is a lot of noise and when you multiply to bring it up you find more magenta than red because well there is no red left

I will download that file

Just now, Interceptor121 said:

Backlit shots do not work well with custom white balance that is true also on the surface

If you want to set custom white balance do it with the light behind you or over your slate

As white balance is just metadata once you go too deep all sort of issue happen with the multiplications 

Because red were near zero there is a lot of noise and when you multiply to bring it up you find more magenta than red because well there is no red left

I will download that file

... there was not much backlit on other two shots... and I think I know how to perform CWB 🙈 ... this thread is more about raw interpreters than anything else. If you would be interested in the other two raws I could provide them too... what was interesting to me was that LR was showing same WB yet interpreting raw files differently

maybe the real question is where is getting LR WB info from and how is it interpreting... perhaps software developers might chip in...

The one with the manta has the sunball in the frame there is nothing more backlit

Custom white balance does not work in those situation it never had it never will

You need strobes to bring the color in. White balance works in very good conditions down to 20-25 meters but only with light from behind and lens pointing down not up

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Interceptor121 said:

The one with the manta has the sunball in the frame there is nothing more backlit

Custom white balance does not work in those situation it never had it never will

You need strobes to bring the color in. White balance works in very good conditions down to 20-25 meters but only with light from behind and lens pointing down not up

thank you for advices 🙈🤦‍♀️  and so the other purple shots - see screenshot from sonys editor - where is the sun in those?

btw - if it's not too much to ask - could you please read what I write in its entirety and react to that. I was writing something about raw editors interpretations  and also that video with the same WB came out right... so the camera clearly was able to interpret WB correctly. But the raw editors have problems... 

Edited by RomiK

5 minutes ago, RomiK said:

thank you for advices 🙈🤦‍♀️  and so the other purple shots - see screenshot from sonys editor - where is the sun in those?

I do not know but your raw file provided is hopelessly backlit

In general this looks more a case of poor understanding of lighting

You can replicate this in your garden and a flash 

Shoot someone with the light behind you will see their face is dark. Put a flash in the mix and things change

You need strobes to shoot underwater photography because quality of light underwater is very poor.

Underwater photography ABC

Edited by Interceptor121

19 hours ago, Interceptor121 said:

I do not know but your raw file provided is hopelessly backlit

In general this looks more a case of poor understanding of lighting

You can replicate this in your garden and a flash 

Shoot someone with the light behind you will see their face is dark. Put a flash in the mix and things change

You need strobes to shoot underwater photography because quality of light underwater is very poor.

Underwater photography ABC

I have advice for you too 🤣 go back to school and take a class in cognitive reading. Then come back to this thread, read the topic again and try to respond to the subject. Education ABC.🤣

• Like 1

On 4/27/2024 at 11:05 AM, RomiK said:

maybe the real question is where is getting LR WB info from and how is it interpreting... perhaps software developers might chip in...

I don‘t know about Sony, but with m43 raw files the adobe editors get a lot of info from the cameras and some of these you cannot even revert unless you use other editors (at least for my epl5 raws, newer stuff may be different). So there is definitely a lot more in the raw files than just the pixel intensities. 
I currently use on1 as an editor, certainly not comparable with LR but once I got used to it, it can do a really good job for my needs. They have a free trial version that has all features enabled - check it out if you‘re interested.

• Like 1

Hi Roman,

I ran it through Capture One Pro which did a decent job I thought.  Just a slight reduction in tone then set levels channel by channel to get the colours right, I pulled highlights all the way down and reduced exposure to stop the highlights clipping followed by dragging the shadows up some.  Next was then import into Photoshop and adjust contrast with luminosity masks - doing an "S" curve on Shadow/Highlight/midtones separately and just cropped out the remains of the sunball. 

It is hovering on the edge of posterising right now particularly in the JPEG and if I were really fine tuning I'd go back and back off the shadows boost a little.   I also did noise reduction on the red channel and backed the reds away in levels on the mids adjustment as it was giving red snow noise in the shadows.   Here it is:

Manta image

and here is the red channel:

Red Channel

I posted them as links as I have a bug on my account which screws up colours in images I insert into posts.  My normal workaround is to upload to my gallery but obviously couldn't do that with a guest image!

• Like 1

• Thanks For Your Support

backscatter_block.gif Fotosubshop_Logo_Longnew.png
    isotta_logo.png INONlogo_Waterpixel.jpg
    marelux.gif nauticam_WPX.jpg
    RPV Banner.png Retra2.png
    SeaandSeaLogo.png turtlelogo.png
    image001.png image.png

image.png
    XRAY Magazine

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.