Split Shot Rig For Filming

I refrain from hacking the photo thread....

Speaking of split shot video footage, I've seen that professionals use purpose built rigs.
Before I express my imagination to the max, do you know if there is a simple ready-made DIY project somewhere?

The great Rafa Herrero in action...

nullimage.jpeg

bcf01a0b-5001-4c20-8224-274e512559aa.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

wow - no idea and hadn't really though of that. Must be nice to get shots of the man o' war jelly with the float on the surface and the tentacles dangling below.
Amazing rig, but looks like it would be a nightmare to use outside pool conditions where the #$%#@$#sea line won't stand still!

Or maybe the floats actually do manage to cancel the water movement by following the Y axis while keeping the dome immersed at the same level? Not sure how this craddled beast of would react in practice.

I found these otherwise:

https://www.filmequipmenthire.com/product/dpv-powered-surface-float-camera-system-for-rent-at-film-equipment-hire/

Floatcam.jpg.jpg

Floating camera rig

I'll start on the whacky DIY then...

For a quick-and-dirty  approach on smaller cameras, maybe some kind of foam box, like the ones used for fish, could work as a base?

eps-foam-fish-boxes-seafood-337852210.jpg

Or a cooler for a more durable option.

Maybe combined with some kind of pool-seat like floater apparatus thing?

th-1360278588.jpg

Would be difficult to get a precise, adjustable dome immersion point as you would get with rig above though....

Maybe modifying some kind of floating hammock rig, like the hammocraft?

the.cool.stuffs_b00d959b-c023-4af5-9c5f-9ec06ec1ab7f-3517514560.jpg

Edited by bghazzal
  • Haha 4

Jokes apart... This is a good starting point.

You are right, these rigs can be used only on flat calm sea conditions. But the pros have time to spare 😉

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Davide DB said:

Jokes apart... This is a good starting point.

Screen Shot 2024-05-28 at 14.34.57.png

Yep - I like the fact that it could act as an integrated support for the cam.
Even with holes, it would be difficult to access controls in the box though, so maybe just keeping the frame and mounting connecting points directy to top of the structure.

With a quadripod mount's two ball ends on each side of the tray, it should be relatively easy to rig something up for a 4-point connection to front and back arches, which would also allow angle/immersion adjustments.
It would just be a question of driling into the pipes to attach 4 ball mounts on the inside, then connecting to the housing with arms and clamps.

That said, I really like the hammocraft - fascinating concept, and I can't help wondering what happens if one of the side hammock ladies decides to go for a swim?  😁

Edited by bghazzal
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, bghazzal said:

Yep - I like the fact that it could act as an integrated support for the cam.
Even with holes, it would be difficult to access controls in the box though, so maybe just keeping the frame and mounting connecting points directy to top of the structure.

With a quadripod mount's two ball ends on each side of the tray, it should be relatively easy to rig something up for a 4-point connection to front and back arches, which would also allow angle/immersion adjustments.
It would just be a question of driling into the pipes to attach 4 ball mounts on the inside, then connecting to the housing with arms and clamps.

Exactly what I was thinking.

My housing is smaller and lighter than the behemoths normally used for these shots so maybe a two point arm attachment to the housing 1" balls would suffice. Then adjusting the angle I could adjust the immersion level.

• Like 2

• Thanks for your support!!

Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.