Panasonic Lumix GH7

1 hour ago, Eric Hanauer said:

I’ve been shooting a GH5 underwater for several years. Manual white balance works fine down to about 100 feet. You don’t need a white card. Sand or gray rock will work. It still will need color grading in post. Final Cut Pro does a good job of this. 

Probably there's some individual variance on what you consider "fine," but I've shot the GH5 on hundreds of dives, and my experience aligns with Dadide's. Yes, you can white balance to 100feet depths, but the results are anything but 'accurate". The internal white balance limitations don't allow you to get a neutral result right out of camera. You might be able to achieve something more aesthetically pleasing by color grading in post, but that's a significant time investment with its own limitations compared to what Canon cameras have been achieving for decades and Sony's more recent models since the A7S III can also now do.

10 hours ago, Eric Hanauer said:

Editing video is a time investment we owe to our viewers. Color grading is an integral part of that.

Sure... but less time is required if starting from an already decent starting point. And given how thin the codecs are on these cameras, a bad initial white balance is going to make it exceedingly hard to produce pleasing results even with color grading.

Starting point is better than just decent on my GH5II. One click in color balance on FCP usually does it. 

Colors underwater are subjective. It’s not like studio skin tones. Or like rocket science.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/17/2024 at 5:25 PM, Eric Hanauer said:

I’ve been shooting a GH5 underwater for several years. Manual white balance works fine down to about 100 feet. You don’t need a white card. Sand or gray rock will work. It still will need color grading in post. Final Cut Pro does a good job of this. 

Yep, that's my experience too with the GH5, at least in good viz in tropics. The Med is different, obviously. I use the sun/surface to WB, and grade in VegasPro.

• Thanks for your support!!

Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.