SMC-2 vs AOI UCL-900PRO

Hi everyone.

I'm very familiar with the SMC-1 on a full frame sensor.

Was considering the SMC-2, insane, I know. But I've reached the limits of the SMC-1 enough times and had wished I had the SMC-2 or similar.

Someone who's owned both (SMC-2 and AOI UCL-900 PRO) said he preferred the AOI.

He said the AOI is brighter and easier to use. He said they're both the same focal length (+23.5), however the AOI is easier to use and has better light.

I'm leaning towards the SMC-2 because of how good, optically, the 1 is.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

I had a look through the port charts and see they list the CMC-1 as an option for the RF 100mm macro lens, the max magnification is 2.8x midway between the SMC-1 and SMC-2 with 18-85mm working distance compared to 3.2x and 16-35 for the SMC-2.  I know nothing about the optical quality but it might have easier handling compared to the SMC-2. 

It's not listed for the Sony 90mm macro but I would think is it works on the Canon lens it would on the Sony??  The performance figures for the 90mm and RF lens show very close magnifications and working distances.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hedonist222 said:

Thanks Chris. 

I'm finding that the smc-2 may me too close for my needs. 

Any suggestions for something in between the smc-1 & smc-2? 

I know you mention the cmc-1, alas that's a cropped sensor diopter. 

Yes, usually, however Nauticam recommend it on some full frame cameras, specifically on the Canon RF 100mm macro lens.  They also list the SMC lenses for DX 60mm macro and CMC lenses for FX 60mm macro lenses.  This is all in the port charts.  You could ask the question specifically if anyone has tried the CMC lens on the Sony lens

You could also consider the INON lenses, the UCL-67 is listed as providing 2.7x magnification on the 105mm Nikon macro.  http://www.inon.jp/products/lens/ucl67m67/spec.html

• Like 1

• Thanks For Your Support

backscatter_block.gif
    backscatter_block.gif
    Fotosubshop_Logo_Longnew.png
    isotta_logo.png

INONlogo_Waterpixel.jpg

marelux.gif
    nauticam_WPX.jpg

RPV Banner.png

Retra2.png

SeaandSeaLogo.png

turtlelogo.png

image001.png

image.png

image.png

XRAY Magazine

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.