Flash only going off on 2nd shot

Hello everyone

Sony a7rv 

Backscatter mf-1

S-TURTLE TTL trigger

Flash on camera set to fill-in mode

The flash doesn't go off on first shot

It only goes off if I do two quick consecutive shots and only on the second shot

Ideas? 

Thank you

This will be because it the strobe thinks the first shot is the pre-flash and it is ignoring that waiting for the real flash to go off.  You need to match the camera/trigger combination up to be what the strobe is expecting.  The strobe knows nothing about what the camera is set to so you need to change settings so it matches what the camera is putting out.  In this case it seems you need the setting on the MF-1 that flashes every time it sees light from the trigger.  

I'm guessing this as you don't say what you are trying to do - TTL flash or manual flash?  Assuming you are trying to shoot manual it seems like it is the flash you need to change settings on.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Chris Ross said:

This will be because it the strobe thinks the first shot is the pre-flash and it is ignoring that waiting for the real flash to go off.  You need to match the camera/trigger combination up to be what the strobe is expecting.  The strobe knows nothing about what the camera is set to so you need to change settings so it matches what the camera is putting out.  In this case it seems you need the setting on the MF-1 that flashes every time it sees light from the trigger.  

I'm guessing this as you don't say what you are trying to do - TTL flash or manual flash?  Assuming you are trying to shoot manual it seems like it is the flash you need to change settings on.

Hi Chris. 

What settings do you reckon I should change? 

I cannot think of any. 

Flash mode is in fill-in. 

The S-TURTLE is in manual mode. 

Thy MF-1 doesn't have any settings to change. 

It turns on, then there's the flash strength dial.

There's no TTL or smart mode on the MF-1.

it says that you take a test shot and it works it out.    so as you say nothing to change.  assume you took your test shot?  try powering down and doing it again?  If that doesn't work, see if other camera flash modes work,  powering down between each mode you try.   Does the S-Turtle instructions recommend anything in the way of camera settings?

Foreword Are you using a correct fibre optic cable?
Make sure you have set single shot on your camera, don't use burst, this will mess up your strobe.
If so, turn off your strobe, make sure you have set single shot, turn it back on and take a test shot.
This should work properly.

2 hours ago, Chris Ross said:

it says that you take a test shot and it works it out.    so as you say nothing to change.  assume you took your test shot?  try powering down and doing it again?  If that doesn't work, see if other camera flash modes work,  powering down between each mode you try.   Does the S-Turtle instructions recommend anything in the way of camera settings?

Yes, took the test shot. Nothing happens. 

Well, flash only on second shot.

Contacted Balaz, for manual mode, nothing to setup on the trigger. 

Tried another flash from Sea and Sea, works workout issue. 

4 minutes ago, Giancarlo M. said:

Foreword Are you using a correct fibre optic cable?
Make sure you have set single shot on your camera, don't use burst, this will mess up your strobe.
If so, turn off your strobe, make sure you have set single shot, turn it back on and take a test shot.
This should work properly.

Yes, this cable worked a few days ago with the same strobe and trigger. 

It is on single shooting mode, not burst. 

But how does that mess up the strobe? 

2 hours ago, hedonist222 said:

Yes, took the test shot. Nothing happens. 

Well, flash only on second shot.

Contacted Balaz, for manual mode, nothing to setup on the trigger. 

Tried another flash from Sea and Sea, works workout issue. 

Yes, this cable worked a few days ago with the same strobe and trigger. 

It is on single shooting mode, not burst. 

But how does that mess up the strobe? 

Sounds like you set everything up right. The MF-1 manual says it will work out settings after making a test exposure, as Chris also noted. And it probably doesn't matter if you're 1st or rear curtain, and I'm sure you're setting the camera the rest of the camera correctly.

If you have another body, you can try that. Or try another flash trigger. Maybe a call to Backscatter will be helpful? Is this a new or used unit?

I recently tried shooting the new Backscatter Hybrid Flash - 1 in a burst (middle speed, continuous), and I was getting every other frame exposed, but the first frame was exposed. This, on an A7c.

• Thanks for your support!!

Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.