Nauticam NA-R50 with WWL-B lens

A friend purchased the almost compact sized Nauticam NA-R50D housing and WWL-B lens recently. He loaned it to me for some quick tests in our local quarry......

The fixed port housing requires you use a Nauticam wet lens and the WWL-B provides an astounding 130  - 60 degree coverage. It allows full zoom and will focus on the glass dome!  

The Canon R50 kit lens's 18-45mm focal length on the camera's 24MP APS-C sensor paired with the WWL-B blew me away as I'm a compact system shooter.

Additionally we barely had 8' / 2.5M of hazy crappy visibility but being able to get close and frame my dive buddy made the visibility appear better than it really was..

Back in the film days many Japanese underwater photographers would opt for a less expensive body and spend $$$$ on lenses. I did the same into dSLRs using a lower priced body but decent lenses especially once the Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 15mm, etc. came along.

I think this set up for those wanting something simple with a DPAF focussing APS-C  24 MP camera might want to take a look!

Just one old guy's opinion as usual 🙂

David Haas

IMG_8348.jpeg

IMG_8117.jpeg

IMG_8042.jpeg

IMG_8043.jpeg

IMG_8023.jpeg

IMG_8058.jpeg

IMG_8059.jpeg

IMG_8060.jpeg

IMG_8066.jpeg

IMG_8098.jpeg

IMG_8074.jpeg

IMG_8081.jpeg

IMG_8039.jpeg

IMG_7995.jpeg

Edited by dhaas
typos
  • Like 5

I've been wondering where the future of small sensor shooters is going, as I have one in my family, and many friends that shoot with older 1" sensor cameras.  Glad to hear about your actual hands on experience with the R50 setup.

BTW:  @Phil Rudin brought the R50 package up in a different thread as a price conscious option with size and travel benefits.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

After shooting APS-C dSLRs for years and currently a 1" sensor camera I did always long for just a bit more sensor. So the Canon R series is a worthy upgrade while not breaking the bank or physical size too much.

While I haven't tried it the Nauticam WWL-C lens is also usable on this set up. Gives a bit less focal coverage from the WWL-B range of 130-60mm to 116m -  52mm.

Still darn impressive in front of a low cost Canon R50 18-45mm "kit" lens. My friend who owns this set up actually immediately bought a 2nd Canon R50 spare as it was sooooo cheap LOL.....

Just a thought!

DH

IMG_8045.jpeg

IMG_7966 (2).jpeg

IMG_7972.jpeg

IMG_8092.jpeg

IMG_8107.jpeg

IMG_8061.jpeg

Edited by dhaas
  • Like 1

Nice info - thanks for sharing @dhaas !  

In the real world, I wonder how this would perform compared to the R7?  I realize the R7 is a higher MP at 32 v 24, and the R7 has a dedicated focus joystick.  Other features like IBIS, weather sealing, etc. are not as important uw.  They both use the same lenses which would seem to lean toward similar image quality, all be it with a smaller resolution.  

This body and lens is roughly 1/3 the cost of the R7. ($749 v $1999). That puts it inline with a quality Canon compact camera, but with a true APS-C sensor.

Any thoughts? 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Chip,

Good thoughts and here's my take.......

Some months back our Cleveland, Ohio 100+ year old downtown camera business Dodd Camera had a huge event with all manufacturers showing their latest models. The Canon R series were all there and I handled each. 

Not being in the FF budget group I looked at the R7, R10, R50 and even tiny but powerful R100. Each has advantages as you say but I think it depends how much you'll use the body out of the water.

The Canon R7 at a higher price has some things folks want. It's a great birding camera and for other advanced shooting scenarios. I don't believe "weather sealing" will keep even a seriously splashed much less flooded camera from becoming a doorstop. Electronics are not salt water friendly 😞 

IBIS while touted for most Canon shooters is a non-issue as 90%+ of Canon lenses have IS (Image Stabilization.)

The guy people "loves or loves to hate";  Ken Rockwell coins it perfectly and I like his opinion on many photo topics and gear.

He says something like:  "Going to stand outside in pouring rain and shoot pictures? Get an umbrella......Going to wade near the shore for crashing wave shots? Cover the camera body with one of those tent like coverings available for any size camera like you see at sport events."

For me a 1/3 or less $$$ camera body with DPAF, all the latest DigicX processor speed and enough MP to make almost any size print is fine. I could easily buy 2 or more bodies being light and small and have $$$ left over for a nice trip to go make photos!

The lenses is where I tell folks to spend $$$$. For the Nauticam NA-R50 system it's a WWL-B or WWL-C.  I think they would satisfy any shooter.....

Could I house the even cheaper, less featured Canon R100 (it's a little rocket) and save more  money ?????  For sure......The camera and 18-45mm kit lens is like $320.00 USD at Canon's refurbished store !

The R100 has the same 24MP, almost same number of AF points but lacks a touch swivel screen, dedicated ISO button and a couple other things which are things I like on the R50. 

Ikelite makes a small DLM sized housing for the R100 but skipped the R50 and I think they made a good choice.

Put a decent compact dome on the housing and use good UW lenses from the kit 18-45mm to a Tokina 10-17mm with EF-RF lens adapter and an extension. Or give up some edge corner sharpness and buy the super tiny RF-S 10-18mm IS STM lens. It's a great land lens on any RF-S body. 

Would it equal an R50 and WWL-B? Maybe not 100% but I'd bet pretty close for many folks.

It's all still ISO choice, shutter speed and f-stop, strobe power and getting CLOSE to "get the water out"  🙂

Trying my buddy's Nauticam NA-R50 in the water was great.  I have to say the Nauticam controls were incredible........Smooth, fast and right at my fingertips.

I know for sure I wouldn't get the same overall experience with the Canon R100 in the Ikelite housing.  But I'll bet I could make some darn good pictures with it too 🙂

So there you have it, my take!  

David Haas

Here's my wife with a Humphead Napoleon Wrasse years ago in the Coral Sea above the SS Yongala wreck. 

Shot with a lowly Canon Digital Rebel (6.3MP) in an old Ikelite 4 port lock clear housing, likely a 15mm Sigma lens and one single Ikelite DS125 on TTL.

IMG_4052.jpeg

Edited by dhaas
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Thanks for your support

Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.