Strobe can’t be used with it’s full potential

Michi

I bought a couple of second strobes (sea and sea ys-d2) and found out that they only work with an Olympus OMD EM 1 Mark III up to 11/+0.7. Above that it triggers but does not synchronise... even at different shutter speeds (I tried 1/200 and 1/80) because I had flash duration time in mind. Then I tried a Sony Alpha 1: there it works one step higher up to 16/+1 but still the two highest modes missing. I also tried the electronic and mechanical shutters and tested with electronic cables (Ikelite to Nikonos/Inon and Ikelite ttl converter) and fibre optic cables. I also tried various modes on the flashes, like before flash and TTL etc.. Does anyone have any ideas?

There are three flash modes (perhaps even more on the em-1) that you can set in the camera - manual, ttl and the proprietary rc-mode. Is the problem always there, or does it occur only with one of the settings? I vaguely remember reading that in rc-mode the number of pre-flashes is more than one and maybe even variable(not sure about the last).

I always use manual mode @ 1/64 intensity on my epl-5 and have not had any issues with Sea&sea strobes (older than ys-2). So that will be very different on your setup - but maybe it can help to find the source of the problem?

We'd really need to know a bit more about what settings you' re using to help. For example, are you shooting Manual on both the strobe and the camera, or something else?  I have the EM 1 - Mk II and use the YS-D3 and have no issues at all powers in M on both.  I've not used the D2s, but would guess there isn't too much difference.  In manual on the camera with mechanical shutter and M on the strobe, it should sync up to 1/250 at all strobe powers, and if you use a trigger you can get even higher (1/400) without any black bars appearing.  

• Like 1

Hello and many thanks for the answers. At least the problem is half solved. I photograph always in manual mode. I have tried everything on the flashes from preflesh to TTL to "normal flash" without preflash with different shutter speeds plus with electric / fibre optic cables. Now and after your recommendations I tried several optical cables and it turned out that the signal in all except of one was too weak/inconsistent… but the problem still exists with electrical cables but In the Sony Menue I can not change any flash settings that are relevant. Or do I oversee something? With Olympus i am not able to trigger with electrical cables plus I asked for help and in the Olympus menue I solved the problem and weak cables don’t matter here! 

Both ends of the system are important.  If you are using a camera with a pre-flash, best solution is to use manual low power flash on the camera.  If you can't turn the pre-flash off you need a setting on your flash that ignores the pre-flash.  Try triggering the flashes from Olympus camera with the YS-D2 on manual and the Olympus camera set to manual flash at 1/64 power using the little accesory flash.  The key point to remember is that the camera and flash are not aware of each other so both need to be set correctly.

Hi Michi,

I used YS-D2 and Z330, exclusively in manual mode, on EM1II and EM5II and never had a problem with flash power (Triggered via Oly miniflash or Nauticam flash trigger using multifibre optical cables)...

Now I use Z330 and HF-1, manually, with A7R5 with optical cables (Nauticam or Turtle-manual flash triggers) and it works without problems. There may be differences in menue between A7R5 and A1, but here are the flash settings that I use in the "Exposure Color" Menue Tab. Maybe it helps:

image.png

Wolfgang

Edited by Architeuthis

• Thanks for your support

Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.