Prescription Masks

2 hours ago, Davide DB said:

This shows that the average age of divers is rising.

I see there is a review from Bali. Confess that it is you!!! 🤣

I'm starting to think I have a doppelganger in the area, too concerned about style to go for the DIY option - I'm sure he probably shoots stills only too 😆

Edited by bghazzal
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, bghazzal said:

too concerned about style to go for the DIY option

Style is everything, Ben. And colour. I always thought PADI exams wrong when they said colour was not important in the key issues when choosing dive gear. 

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, TimG said:

Style is everything, Ben. And colour. I always thought PADI exams wrong when they said colour was not important in the key issues when choosing dive gear. 

When my friend's son was learning to dive I told him to ignore what PADI said as the first rule of scuba diving was "Wear black, look cool".

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

After using stick ons for a few years, I added +2 reader lenses to my Tusa Ceos Freedom mask in December and it was a game changer, can read all the dials and screens a lot better and long distance is fine. Only used them on a 2 week trip to Thailand, not sure it improved my photography as only 20-30 great shots from the 15 dives I completed

Edited by Mark Don
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...

For all aging folks with presbyopia I wanted to share my experience with IOLs which I have at the age of 56 for almost 10 years now. I know it's a controversial issue for some. Nevertheless I would recommend this solution to anyone whom their doctor would approve this. It has its own challenges and things to adjust to but by far - and not only for divers -  it is the best thing they could do to solve the problem. Happy diving.

For anyone else, like me, who didn’t know what IOL was: “Intraocular lenses (IOL)”. Essentially eye surgery to replace the lens. Sounds rather scary…… Really glad it worked for you RomiK. 

2 hours ago, TimG said:

For anyone else, like me, who didn’t know what IOL was: “Intraocular lenses (IOL)”. Essentially eye surgery to replace the lens. Sounds rather scary…… Really glad it worked for you RomiK. 

Thank you @TimG . To ease up worries for anyone and send you guys to your ophthalmologist for consultation 🙂 I would like to add that IOL replacement - or a cataract surgery as it is known - is a standard procedure and technology which has been there since 1950ies and more about it for example here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cataract_surgery

Roughly half of population will undergo this surgery anyway because of a deterioration of lens due to age. I did it rather early at the age of 46 for convenience - couldn't stand wearing glasses during sport activities - and the team sold me on that idea just by stating that likely I'd have to go through that procedure anyway and this way I might enjoy clear vision much longer before death 🤣

From a diver's perspective there are no limits on this activity, you can dive the same 100m depths as before without worries 🤣. Photographers will still able to use their expensive viewfinders no change but the ones using the monitors will have to adjust to the fact that they will no longer focus by eyes - they will focus with their hands. Minimal focus distance is still pretty close, much much closer than before. I see clearly pixels on my retina monitor from the distance of 30cm. 

But because I no longer focus by eyes but by a distance to a subject (hence focusing by hands) the next crisp focus distance is - say - 50cm and so on. Between those the vision is like you compare sharpness of cheap zoom with a sharp prime.  Ask you doctor about the Zeiss AT Lisa  as that is the name of trifocal lenses I have, trifocals are on the market since 2012 roughly.

Either way you won't need to spend big on prescription masks so you might actually save money 😁. Good luck 🤞.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, RomiK said:

Thank you @TimG . To ease up worries for anyone and send you guys to your ophthalmologist for consultation 🙂 I would like to add that IOL replacement - or a cataract surgery as it is known - is a standard procedure and technology which has been there since 1950ies and more about it for example here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cataract_surgery

Roughly half of population will undergo this surgery anyway because of a deterioration of lens due to age. I did it rather early at the age of 46 for convenience - couldn't stand wearing glasses during sport activities - and the team sold me on that idea just by stating that likely I'd have to go through that procedure anyway and this way I might enjoy clear vision much longer before death 🤣

From a diver's perspective there are no limits on this activity, you can dive the same 100m depths as before without worries 🤣. Photographers will still able to use their expensive viewfinders no change but the ones using the monitors will have to adjust to the fact that they will no longer focus by eyes - they will focus with their hands. Minimal focus distance is still pretty close, much much closer than before. I see clearly pixels on my retina monitor from the distance of 30cm. 

But because I no longer focus by eyes but by a distance to a subject (hence focusing by hands) the next crisp focus distance is - say - 50cm and so on. Between those the vision is like you compare sharpness of cheap zoom with a sharp prime.  Ask you doctor about the Zeiss AT Lisa  as that is the name of trifocal lenses I have, trifocals are on the market since 2012 roughly.

Either way you won't need to spend big on prescription masks so you might actually save money 😁. Good luck 🤞.

Interesting (my eye doctor says I have beginning cataract, but it is not yet at a stage that would deserve surgery)...

I did not know that bifocal or even trifocal replacement lenses for cataract surgery exist. I guess the advantage of trifocal is that you do not need external multifocal glasses for near sight? What are the disadvantages?

I do not understand how you focus with trifocal lens in the eye: upper part of vision is far and when you look down it is near (similar to how it would be with external multifocal glasses) or is it different? What means "...focusing by hands..."?

Wolfgang

Edited by Architeuthis

6 minutes ago, Architeuthis said:

Interesting (my eye doctor says I have beginning cataract, but it is not yet at a stage that would deserve surgery)...

I did not know that bifocal or even trifocal replacement lenses for cataract surgery exist. I guess the advantage of trifocal is that you do not need external multifocal glasses for near sight? What are the disadvantages?

I do not understand how you focus with trifocal lens in the eye: upper part of vision is far and when you look down it is near (similar to how it would be with external multifocal glasses) or is it different? What means "...focusing by hands..."?

Wolfgang

I'd have to point you to some reading through google search... the design of lenses is circular ... so wherever you look and point your sight to you see sharp - within the lens parameters...  With single or dual focus lenses you still needed glasses mostly for near reading as the lenses were set to see far. With trifocals no more, no glasses needed... I could really write pages but google better for that... the main takeaway is it works, the surgery is safe, performed annually on millions and the side effects are none. Yes there are some artifacts but in a manner which will not affect your life or quality of vision. The net is still huge benefit.

5 hours ago, Architeuthis said:

Wolfgang

I have a friend who had tri-focals done a while back, I believe he had them changed to mono-focals, apparently a common side effect is visual disturbances at night, some people get used to them and some don't.  There is also an enhanced depth of field option which keeps a wider range in focus. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Chris Ross said:

I have a friend who had tri-focals done a while back, I believe he had them changed to mono-focals, apparently a common side effect is visual disturbances at night, some people get used to them and some don't.  There is also an enhanced depth of field option which keeps a wider range in focus. 

😱 uh oh the rule of thumbs is not to mess up with implants once implanted! It's not like you can change them at will. Your friend must have been real unfortunate as such strong aversion is very rare - see below. I would say this

- there are several manufacturers of trifocals, some better some worse. Zeiss is one of the best but more below 

- there several applications for different specifics. One is night drivers. I you are a night driver they should recommend certain kind which is not as good in daylight but is more suitable for night drivers. For Zeiss AT Lisa types - yes, there are  circular artifacts coming from spot lights in certain conditions (not oncoming traffic but imagine guiding lights in tunnels, lights lighting the street if you look directly at them... - the light must be real tiny intensive spot). But that's nothing for people driving through the night on average. And also the tolerance to these build over time.  Professional truck drivers with night shifts - might be an issue. Might get too tired before get used to it and develop a block and aversion. Regular folks riding sometimes - nothing that difficult.

- Another example - trifocals are light hungry - so if you work in a warehouse with less then average contrast light conditions you may get tired. When I go shopping into these big warehouses like Costco, Makro etc I always am hungry for light. Night vision is fine as there is - surprisingly - enough contrast. Fog is fine as - surprisingly - the daylight has a lot of intensity. But warehouses are less than ideal. But again - still nothing that would cut into benefits trifocals bring to life.

- obviously like with everything all things are person specific. But given the amount of implants your friend must have been one of the very very unfortunate - either he got wrong type of IOLs given his profession or his mind could not overcome this which could happen but it is like one in tens of thousands.

So my advice is not be scared of by negative experiences, these are really really rare but like in marketing - one satisfied customer will bring 10 and one dissatisfied will repel 1000

I reiterate for everyone interested - do it (at least the consultation) but also do your research as far as your profession and lifestyle.   

• 2 months later...

Another option I have seen local divers using and which they swear by is this item, saw it the other day at my local dive shop:

https://divediversions.com/products/divevue-mount-glasses-to-your-dive-mask

The advantage is you can readily change prescriptions and pull them in and out of the field of vision. Primarily designed for use with cheap readers you could use any prescription you need in an appropriate set of frames.  You need a go-pro mount on your mask to attach this clamp to.

image.png

• Like 3

Ooh that's very nice - it looks like height can be adjusted, which was my main issue with flip-mount options

As previously mentioned and illustrated, I use cheap readers for macro, and they work great - but it's important for me to be able to adjust their position easily (bottom half of the mask when I'm spotting, right in the middle when I'm shooting).

I have mine with a strap, but this looks like nice and solid alternative!

However I use mine on my single glass frameless mask though, and these look like they're designed to make use of the frame on double-lense mask

Great idea though. Keep readers close to the glass and it just... works

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chris Ross said:

Another option I have seen local divers using and which they swear by is this item, saw it the other day at my local dive shop:

https://divediversions.com/products/divevue-mount-glasses-to-your-dive-mask

The advantage is you can readily change prescriptions and pull them in and out of the field of vision. Primarily designed for use with cheap readers you could use any prescription you need in an appropriate set of frames.  You need a go-pro mount on your mask to attach this clamp to.

image.png

Saw this GoPro mount for dual lens masks, which is a link on the dive diversions website. https://scubapro.johnsonoutdoors.com/us/shop/accessories/mask-accessories/go-pro-dive-mask-mount

• Like 1

I had cataract surgery and the "full monty" 3 distance Alcon AcrySof Vivity IOL lenses implanted about 2 years ago. 

Since then no RX mask needed. My close up reading and medium distance is great. Can dive and read gauges no problem.

Farthest lens correction due to astigmatism OK enough I COULD pass driving test without corrective glasses. But I've always wanted super far crispness so have a super mild RX pair pf glasses I really only need for driving. Went with Transition lenses too so non need for separate sun glasses.

That part soured me a bit on getting a "full monty" correction, PLUS, it wasn't cheap.

In the US my Medicare covered cataract replacement except for co-pay of $375.00 per eye. The cataract part was fabulous as my left eye was getting dimmer quite a bit. Everything else is elective surgery for not small $$$$.

Other than cost I've counseled others in my age group considering IOL when getting cataract surgery to maybe only due one corrective lens.   With astigmatism like I have maybe get all distance or all close up. Then either contacts or glasses for the other range.

To be honest I likely could have bought a lot of RX masks for my remaining days diving plus wearing nice trendy progressive bi-focals for a lot less $$$$.

Especially since I'd been wearing glasses since age 11 or so :(

Heavy sigh.......

Just one old guy's opinion!

David Haas

HaasPhotographyServiceFB.jpg

• Like 2

• Thanks for your support!!

Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.