Red Fingered Anglerfish

In Australia we call them anglerfish, seems more appropriate for a fish that uses a lure to catch other fish.  The Red Fingered Anglerfish is endemic to the coast around Sydney and also reported form Jervis Bay to the south, they are maddeningly hard to find with amazing camouflage.  They come in 3 colour morphs, orange, grey and white with white being quite uncommon.  Here's a white on from a dive on the weekend.  You can see the red fingers on the pectoral fin on the RHS of frame.

Red_Fingered_Anglerfish_25.jpg

• Like 4

That’s a very cool critter for sure! You made a nice image too.  Lighting those guys well makes all the difference, without the deep shadows this one would be invisible.  Nicely done.

I recall one site in Anilao that we frequented that housed a batch of different antennarius.  They were grey / dark red / slate blue and very “crusty” and matched the reef almost as well as this guy.  Even when one of us was pointing right at it, it would sometimes take movement from the fish before the “ah ha” moment.  Fun stuff, especially when they do that huge open-jawed yawn!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Troporobo said:

That’s a very cool critter for sure! You made a nice image too.  Lighting those guys well makes all the difference, without the deep shadows this one would be invisible.  Nicely done.

I recall one site in Anilao that we frequented that housed a batch of different antennarius.  They were grey / dark red / slate blue and very “crusty” and matched the reef almost as well as this guy.  Even when one of us was pointing right at it, it would sometimes take movement from the fish before the “ah ha” moment.  Fun stuff, especially when they do that huge open-jawed yawn!

I've pointed to them on the reef and received only shoulder shrugs in response, even signalled I'm now pointing to the eye and it didn't help.

• Haha 1

• Thanks for your support

Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.