Some macros from Port Phillip Bay

The last time I took out my macro I made the stupid mistake of mounting my 55-200mm telephoto instead of my 80mm f/2.8!!  They are very similar size, but the macro is a lot heavier. I though it a bit odd when I got underwater and it just wouldn't focus on anything! I thought I may have left the focal range limiter on the wrong setting. Was also a bit odd that the front of the housing was a bit floaty. They say you should only make a mistake once, so hopefull this was it 🙂

This time I was even more certain to mount the correct lens, and also to ensure that the aperture ring was on A, and the focal limiter set correctly. All of these settings can only be done before closing the housing, and any of them being set wrong will result in a dive carrying around a useless housing!

Anyway, on to the photo haul for the dive. I don't seem to take as many photos in a dive than I used to. And I seem to have the same number of keepers per dive. Hopefully that means I'm getting better 🙂

Any critique on any aspect - composure, framing, lighting, post-processing is welcomed and appreciated

Equipment

• Fujifilm XT-3 in Nauticam NA-XT3 housing
  • 2x Inon Z240
  • Fujinon XF80/f2.8 Macro

For most of these shots I kept the camera on ISO320, SS 1/60, adjusting aperture and flash output / positioning.  Most of these photos are between f/7.1 and f/10.

DSCF2756.jpg

DSCF2764.jpg

DSCF2772.jpg

DSCF2773.jpg

DSCF2774.jpg

DSCF2781.jpg

DSCF2786.jpg

DSCF2790.jpg

DSCF2793.jpg

DSCF2794.jpg

DSCF2797.jpg

DSCF2803.jpg

A nice set, and the reposts  are  definitely moving in the  right direction. 

I'd try and keep a closer  eye the white balance - I had a play with a  couple and  needed to  do WB alterations each time.

The ray shot is just a white balance adjustment, then  moving the blacks slider further along. I  don't mind   the  background losing details on this occasion, just make sure  you  don't block any details on the actual subject.

DSCF2773.jpg.f74689a5d2489218d7f7b8a0697439bfRP.jpg

With the  following shot  I did a WB adjustment but greens  and cyans  remained  in the sand so I used  a selective  saturation  adjustment  to remove them.  Set  black and white  points,  used a dodge and burn technique to lighten  the sand then boosted the colours a little  (maybe too  much)

DSCF2756.jpg.5f48c1261d09d5e33b69adace0a609aaRP.jpg

These are only  pointers, not the be all and end  all by any stretch, but maybe  something  to  look at

Mike

Edited by Pooley

• Thanks for your support!!

Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.