Coral Sea with Fujifilm 30mm Macro lens

I just got back from a Mike ball Coral Sea liveaboard from Cairns over xmas - which was wonderful - Osprey reef was full of life.  I had just got the newish Fujifilm 30mm Macro lens, which seemed to fit my existing N100 ports fine even though it’s not listed in the Nauticam charts.  I took a risk and used the lens the whole trip.

I really like the lens as its macro 1:1 and can focus very close, and is a really nice 30mm for macro and relatively-wide angle. It allowed me to get some nicer slightly wider shots than I would normally get with the Zeiss 50mm.

Fujifilm X-T3 with Nauticam Housing
Fujifilm 30mm Macro F2.8 
(Using the 30mm extension and 32mm port - same as for the Zeiss 50mm).
Inon D2000 Strobes

Really happy with the shots, this was also the first trip with the X-T3, edited using Lightroom on an iPad onboard. I took the shots in Raw, and adjusted white balance, and then a small amount of exposure, contrast in Lightroom.

1.jpg.639e7a6c9f4f930787345a6a782bba83.jpg2.jpg.4d57b9aebed880035684d8b1b19ba3c0.jpg3.jpg.31b8698490f6cf6ff5e1379f2efe5e0f.jpg4.jpg.fc35a1f3b4932b38bc9d3963e2e1a448.jpg5.jpg.fcb03c8e0df46e2296ee88aec86dfaa4.jpg6.jpg.55d07e7b64ea7a07b4a30150042e3644.jpg7.jpg.5814779ab2c3c6371cba26f779f726d9.jpg8.jpg.010cec84adb124fda84bdf9901b84414.jpg9.jpg.84e7f4fdcb682a85a29478300a9f58dd.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Kevin, really happy to see your nice pictures!!!

You are the only person in the world that seems to make underwater photography with THE SAME FREAKING WEIRD SETUP AS ME!!!!!

Hahahaha, now seriously really happy because I have been looking for people that shots Fujifilm cameras underwater (I even created an IG account to join experiences regarding this, @fujiunderwater, not much success at all...).

I recently bought the 30mm (my normal setup is the 80mm) but unable to test it yet, I hope I can try it at the end of february.

I ended having a custom port, made by Saga, because I didn't want the gap between the lens and the glass in the port using Nauticam's options.

Well looking your pictures it seems I wasn't wrong in my thoughts about the 30 mm (actually a comment of Alex Mustard about his impressions with the Sony 50mm made me take the decission), because I was looking for a macro lens capable for bigger subjects, as moray eels and fish portraits, but no refusing 1:1 macro...

Well, I hope we can start sharing experiences with our weird setups... 

At least, now I feel I am not completely mad...

BTW I love your picture of the crab, I think it could benefit of a little cropping from the top, but it is really nice.

Besdt Regards.

Philippo.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ChipBPhoto said:

Great images @KevinLee !  I loved my Fuji X-T cameras, especially for travel.  I never put them in a housing, but clearly they are solid tools in that world as well.  Nicely done!

Thanks!  I think they are really underrated. Having the physical controls works really well underwater!

• Like 2

Hey, @wetdreams! Thats so awesome!  I absolutely love this setup!  I used my old Zeiss 50mm today on a shore dive and it was not as fun. Keep going back to the 30mm Macro.

The 30 extension+32 port leaves about 1cm at the front of the 30mm lens. This works perfect - and it can focus right up to touching the subject. I've bumped a few Nudi's on the nose - woops.

To push it further, i'd love to be able to use the Nauticam wet lenses.. With this setup it gives a black ring with the CMC-1 and CMC-2.  I tried the 30 extension and 13mm port - which is too tight - so I'm thinking of maybe the 50 port might work and allow the wet lenses to be used with the bayonet mount ($$$).

I really pushed it with these Nudibranch shots last weekend - two shots of a really tiny Nudi 2-3mm, and a 4cm+ one from a reasonable distance. Incredibly flexible lens.

Phyllodesmium serratum (Facelinidae).jpg

Phyllodesmium serratum (Facelinidae)-2.jpg

Tambja verconis (Polyceride).jpg

Edited by KevinLee
Spelling
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, KevinLee said:

Thanks!  I think they are really underrated. Having the physical controls works really well underwater!

I agree you Kevin, in combination with the Nauticam housing is such a great camera. When you need to have a very effective use of time (i.e. underwater photography) the clever controls of the housing and the customization fo the ones in the camera is very good news. You have everything available with a single movement, and that saves you a lot of time. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KevinLee said:

Hey, @wetdreams! Thats so awesome!  I absolutely love this setup!  I used my old Zeiss 50mm today on a shore dive and it was not as fun. Keep going back to the 30mm Macro.

I was in doubt between the 50 and the 30, but despite its great quality, the zeiss is quite an oldie lens, probably slower when focusing, so another check for the 30, that I think is better qualified to render the 40mp of the X-t5, which is my go-to next underwater camera....

To push it further, i'd love to be able to use the Nauticam wet lenses.. With this setup it gives a black ring with the CMC-1 and CMC-2.  I tried the 30 extension and 13mm port - which is too tight - so I'm thinking of maybe the 50 port might work and allow the wet lenses to be used with the bayonet mount ($$$).

My custom made port is 46mm, quite colse to the 50 of the Nauticam. I plan to test the setup at the end of february,  and as I own the CMC-1 and the double flip adapter I can test it as well. I'll give you news as soon as I have an assessment.

I really pushed it with these Nudibranch shots last weekend - two shots of a really tiny Nudi 2-3mm, and a 4cm+ one from a reasonable distance. Incredibly flexible lens.

Did you crop the pictures of the tiny nudi?? It sould be touching the glass on your port!!! Very difficult to illuminate!!!

Cheers!!!

Edited by wetdreams

The 30 extension+32 port leaves about 1cm at the front of the 30mm lens. This works perfect - and it can focus right up to touching the subject. I've bumped a few Nudi's on the nose - woops.

Unfortunately the short working distance means that a wet lens won't help you out.  Closeup diopters work by allowing you to focus closer than the lens already focuses so you are losing working distance.  You can calculate working distance at min focus from the specifications and the bare lens has about 12mm or working distance at 1:1 - when you add in a port 1:1 is about touching the port glass.  Best you can do is get a close fitting port for the lens.

10 hours ago, wetdreams said:

I was in doubt between the 50 and the 30, but despite its great quality, the zeiss is quite an oldie lens, probably slower when focusing, so another check for the 30, that I think is better qualified to render the 40mp of the X-t5, which is my go-to next underwater camera....

The Zeiss is a nice lens - but as you guessed really slow to focus.  But not as slow as the Fuji 60mm Macro - which is really really slow :).  With the Zeiss I have to use a focus light else it hunts forever.  Also planning on upgrading to the X-T5 or X-T6 in maybe 3 years if Nauticam make a housing.

My custom made port is 46mm, quite colse to the 50 of the Nauticam. I plan to test the setup at the end of february,  and as I own the CMC-1 and the double flip adapter I can test it as well. I'll give you news as soon as I have an assessment.

I'll be very interested to see how it goes. Getting even closer with the 30mm will be nice.

Did you crop the pictures of the tiny nudi?? It sould be touching the glass on your port!!! Very difficult to illuminate!!!

Cheers!!!

I've been experimenting with lighting from the side, top, and just blasting it with light. Backscatter isn't an issue when your that close. Even getting super close (about 1cm here), the 30mm still needs quite a bit of cropping for tiny subjects. The 40MP of the X-T5 would be handy.  This is the Nudi before cropping. I think with your 46mm port you'd really get some nice shots without cropping.  (This was really tiny, the shots from my original post don't have much cropping)Phyllodesmium serratum (Facelinidae)-3.jpg

25 minutes ago, KevinLee said:

Also planning on upgrading to the X-T5 or X-T6 in maybe 3 years if Nauticam make a housing.

They made the housing for the X-t5. I plan to upgrade as soon as I get the funds. 

Keep in touch!!! 

Edited by wetdreams
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, KevinLee said:

I've been experimenting with lighting from the side, top, and just blasting it with light. Backscatter isn't an issue when your that close.

My main concern with this lens is illuminating properly the closest subjects. I hope the Backscatters help!! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wetdreams said:

My main concern with this lens is illuminating properly the closest subjects. I hope the Backscatters help!! 

I've actually not had too many issues. I was testing the CMC lenses in response to @Chris Ross above, on dry land...  this is how I have my strobes setup - the edge of the light cone lights the subject fine at 5cm-10cm distance from the lens fine. When it gets super close I have to shift to direct lighting. 

30mm_camera_only.jpeg

30mm_camera_CMC.jpeg

This is with the 30mm only - the lighting is fine at this distance.

30mm_only.jpeg

With the CMC-2 for magnification without changing camera distance. It still lights fine. I use the CMC mainly to add magnification without having to get closer.

30mm_CMC2.jpg

With the CMC-1 for more magnification without changing the distance.

30mm_CMC1.jpg

Let me jump in on this XT-3 discussion! I didn't think anyone else owned an NA-XT3 🙂

I use the 15-45mm with a WWL-C as a "general purpose" lens, which despite its quirks gives some good results. I'll switch to the XF80 f/2.8 for macro. I love some of the detail I can get out of the 80mm, but the DOF can be quite challenging with surge. I've not considered using the 30mm macro, but looking at the range in your pics I might have to think about it 🙂

DSCF2803.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KevinLee said:

I've actually not had too many issues. I was testing the CMC lenses in response to @Chris Ross above, on dry land...  this is how I have my strobes setup - the edge of the light cone lights the subject fine at 5cm-10cm distance from the lens fine. When it gets super close I have to shift to direct lighting. 

30mm_camera_only.jpeg

Yes the impact of the diopters are different when you are not focusing down at 1:1, possibly some focus breathing going on and the diopter works better with longer focal length.  But it still won't provide more magnification than with the lens alone. 

I'm not clear though you said you had vignetting using the CMCs with your current port, are you not getting vignetting on land with your current setup or are you using a different combination here?

I have actually played around with the Panasonic 30mm macro on my Olympus setup when I wanted slightly wider view for weedies etc around home, but ended up drifting back to the 12-40 olympus lens, which can achieve 0.3x, as I could achieve 95% of the same results plus had better wide views .  The small stuff was just too small for the 30mm for my usage and always somewhere were you couldn't get in close enough with various sponges etc in the way, or the subject was mobile and would leave.  I rarely use it these days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stiebs said:

Let me jump in on this XT-3 discussion! I didn't think anyone else owned an NA-XT3 🙂

I use the 15-45mm with a WWL-C as a "general purpose" lens, which despite its quirks gives some good results. I'll switch to the XF80 f/2.8 for macro. I love some of the detail I can get out of the 80mm, but the DOF can be quite challenging with surge. I've not considered using the 30mm macro, but looking at the range in your pics I might have to think about it 🙂

DSCF2803.jpg

Awesome, and welcome!  I guess that means Nauticam sold at least 3 NA-XT3's :).

I'm considering the 80mm myself - but that port is $$$. Beautiful shot though!

I actually use the Zeiss 50mm with the MWL-1 wet lens sometimes for wide angle. Its really nice but quite bulky and unwieldy.. considering the WWL-1B to go with the 18mm I already have and use behind a flat port.

1 minute ago, Chris Ross said:

Yes the impact of the diopters are different when you are not focusing down at 1:1, possibly some focus breathing going on and the diopter works better with longer focal length.  But it still won't provide more magnification than with the lens alone. 

I'm not clear though you said you had vignetting using the CMCs with your current port, are you not getting vignetting on land with your current setup or are you using a different combination here?

I have more to learn :). 

If you look at the shots above - the CMC-1 and CMC-2 both have very slight vignetting. But I think its acceptable.  Its the first time i've actually mounted them on the bayonet mount to the port, and it obviously got the wet lens super close to the port to reduce it to almost nothing.  I'd still like to reduce the space inside the port, but i'd going to try diving with the CMC-2.

1 minute ago, Chris Ross said:

I have actually played around with the Panasonic 30mm macro on my Olympus setup when I wanted slightly wider view for weedies etc around home, but ended up drifting back to the 12-40 olympus lens, which can achieve 0.3x, as I could achieve 95% of the same results plus had better wide views .  The small stuff was just too small for the 30mm for my usage and always somewhere were you couldn't get in close enough with various sponges etc in the way, or the subject was mobile and would leave.  I rarely use it these days.

I'm still trying to find the sweet spot. 50mm is too long, wide angle doesn't work for macro. The 30 give me the chance of both.  On the Fuji, another big advantage is the focusing is miles faster than the Zeiss 50mm...

You might be able to use a 50mm extension with what you have now for 80mm macro, as I understand it the lengths are additive, so 30+32+50 = 112mm.  For example the inside of the glass on my N85 macro port 45 is pretty close to 45mm from the flange as measured with a ruler. 

Luckily with the olympus the 30mm Pany and the Oly 12-40 are both very quick to focus - compared to the 60mm macro I use the most.  These days the 12-40 is as close as I get to multi purpose, I'm either macro diving or I'm not.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, KevinLee said:

I'm considering the 80mm myself - but that port is $$$. Beautiful shot though!

I actually use the Zeiss 50mm with the MWL-1 wet lens sometimes for wide angle. Its really nice but quite bulky and unwieldy.. considering the WWL-1B to go with the 18mm I already have and use behind a flat port.

Hmm.. I'm not sure I understand these comments ... Saying that the port for the 80mm is $$$, and then in the next sentence saying you use the MWL-1 and are considering the WWL-1B !!!

1 minute ago, stiebs said:

Hmm.. I'm not sure I understand these comments ... Saying that the port for the 80mm is $$$, and then in the next sentence saying you use the MWL-1 and are considering the WWL-1B !!!

The 110 port+80mm Fuji lens is similar (ish) price to the WWL-1B, and i already have the ports to use the 18mm and 23mm with that. Either way, its lots of money.

21 minutes ago, Chris Ross said:

You might be able to use a 50mm extension with what you have now for 80mm macro, as I understand it the lengths are additive, so 30+32+50 = 112mm.  For example the inside of the glass on my N85 macro port 45 is pretty close to 45mm from the flange as measured with a ruler. 

Wow!  That is an idea. I didn't even consider adding another extension.  

1 hour ago, KevinLee said:

Wow!  That is an idea. I didn't even consider adding another extension.  

Ideally check the dimension of the 110 port from someone that owns one first it should be about 119-120  from inside of glass to end of lugs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chris Ross said:

Ideally check the dimension of the 110 port from someone that owns one first it should be about 119-120  from inside of glass to end of lugs.

Sorry for the bad quality of the picture, I made it in a hurry... 

It is about 12,5 cm, glass to end of bayonet thread... It is a custom port, that fits really tight (about 2mm gap) with the 80mm macro. 

It is, suposedly, the same dimensions as the Nauticam N100 110 port. 

Hope it can help you!! 

_20240129_082557.JPG

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stiebs said:

Wellcome to the club!! 

Happy to hear more people using Fujifilm underwater. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 1/29/2024 at 11:36 AM, stiebs said:

15-45+WWLC Is it good?I'm thinking about this combo.

19 minutes ago, boduoguo said:

15-45+WWLC Is it good?I'm thinking about this combo.

Do you already have a lens that you're shooting underwater with Fuji and considering changing, or would this be the first? If the former, what lens/port combo are you using at the moment?

The 15-45mm has some quirks, but overall its quite capable for a "cheap" kit lens. I still believe my camera and any lens/port combo is more capable equipment than I am a photographer, but below are some shots taken using it - some in tropical, some in temperate waters with poorer vis. The ship wreck and the ornate cowfish just below it were both shot at 15mm and cropped. The rest are at varying focal lengths between 18mm and 45mm, usually with cropping for framing. Pretty much everything there shot with 2xZ240 strobes in manual mode, and mostly between f5.6 and f11

With the WWLC it'll focus pretty much right up to the glass, but at 15mm will vignette quite badly, so it's only really usable from about 18mm depending on how important the corners are for the shot.

The two main quirks are

1. On the XT-3 body the lens will retract when you go into playback mode, so there is a delay if you use playback between shooting. It doesn't do this on my X-A7 body, so it's a lens/camera interaction thing. I'm not sure about XT-4 or XT-5. Keeping the post-shot preview on for a longer time mitigates this quirk.

2. The power zoom can be a bit of a pain. In the housing, the zoom ring doesn't spring back to centered, so can be a bit finnicky to get right. In addition, the Nauticam zoom gear actually grabs onto both the zoom ring (which is a jog-dial operation) and the focus ring (which free rotation operation). When moving these both together, sometimes the zoom operation doesn't work so well.

I've got around this by reprogramming the focus ring as a zoom and padding the zoom gear with some tape so it only spins the focus ring and not the zoom. But then the next quirk, is that the focus ring will only work as a zoom on Continuous focus mode, not on M or S. I usually use C with focus tracking, so it's not an issue, but if I do want to use S using AF-L to lock focus, I need to set zoom, then change focus mode from C to S.

DSCF3322.jpgDSCF2913.jpgDSCF2822.jpgDSCF2716.jpgDSCF4540-Edit.jpgDSCF8967.jpgDSCF5863.jpgDSCF5492.jpgDSCF5487.jpgDSCF5480.jpgDSCF5290.jpgDSCF5217.jpgDSCF5196.jpgDSCF5043.jpgDSCF4615.jpgDSCF4605.jpg

• Thanks 1

• Thanks for your support!!

Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.