Mauritius Work Trip

Hi All! I got a quick 2-week work assignment to Mauritius! That means I have 1 weekend to go diving. But since this is for work I can only pack light. I plan to bring just my camera, mask, diveskin, snorkel and fins (I understand it is tropical so similar to coral triangle?) Then just rent the dive gear when I get there. 

I can’t bring my whole camera setup so need to pick between wide angle and macro/fish portraits. Anyone have guidance on what subjects are a must to shoot in Mauritius?

Also what dive sites or locations are a must dive? And why?

I spent the better part of a year in Mauritius back in 2010/2011, and did quite a bit of diving. I remember Passe St. Jacques, in the south close to Le Morne, was best for big stuff. Lots of current drifting through the pass in the reef, which attracted lots of sharks and eagle rays. If I would ever go back to the island, I would head straight there with a WA setup. Corsair Wall in the north was also very good for big stuff (huge schools of eagle rays), but hit or miss. Of course it's been a long time, so things might have changed...

Back in the day there was also the Shark Cave at Round Island off the north side, but I never dove it since the sharks were not there at the time. It looks like they're back though, as tecdivingmauritius.com is offering it as a day trip. Might also be worth looking into!

Hi there,

We were for several days in Mauritius after a diving trip to Madagascar in 2019.

We were located in the area of Flic en Flac. I remember hiring a guide and equipment nearby. On the map I'm seeing just one dive center - TICABO Diving Centre.

So we went out of the port but not far. It was quite strange as no corals and just big boulders but nice looking. I haven't taken any camera as it was just one dive to check it out. The guide was some temporary one, missed the first wreck that we were supposed to go and so on. 

What I remember are some usual animals bit not many. Didn't searched for macro as I'm not a fan of that. So as the others are suggesting - get some WA.

Good luck - and don't forget to post pictures later on.

Went in March this year, dived the west coast and north, the North is better especially if you can get to the islands off shore such as Coin de Mere or Round island as mentioned in first post, they only go further out if sea is calmer.

A mix of stuff so take whatever you would prefer to use on a short trip as there is a mix of both

P3230389 Edited.jpeg

P3230321 Edited.jpeg

P3230408 Edited.jpeg

P3220279 Edited.jpeg

P3210233 Edited.jpeg

P3200144 Edited.jpeg

P3200155.jpeg

On 1/24/2024 at 6:48 PM, RuudStelten said:

I spent the better part of a year in Mauritius back in 2010/2011, and did quite a bit of diving. I remember Passe St. Jacques, in the south close to Le Morne, was best for big stuff. Lots of current drifting through the pass in the reef, which attracted lots of sharks and eagle rays. If I would ever go back to the island, I would head straight there with a WA setup. Corsair Wall in the north was also very good for big stuff (huge schools of eagle rays), but hit or miss. Of course it's been a long time, so things might have changed...

Back in the day there was also the Shark Cave at Round Island off the north side, but I never dove it since the sharks were not there at the time. It looks like they're back though, as tecdivingmauritius.com is offering it as a day trip. Might also be worth looking into!

Thanks for this! The shark safari day tour sounds perfect! At least I know what we are shooting. I will touch base with the operator see if I can join. Worried by this caveat they have: "Must have done at least 2 dives with Tec Diving Mauritius previously to assess for diver skill and comfort level." I don't think I'd have the time for that on this trip, but they seem to offer other nice dives.

Will also look into Passe St. Jacques, seems to be near my work site -- this might ultimately be my go to.

Hello
I went to Mauritius last october ( one week), near "Grand baie".

It's not Raja ampat, but I enjoy my dives 😉

there's wreks ( KT Mawar, Stella Maru...) with lots of life.
But remember that 2 hurricanes recently cross Mauritius, it will be better asking diving center now 😉

Stella Maru banc-3.jpg

KT Mawar Alcyonaire-7.jpg

Poison reef imperator.jpg

Water Lily-3.jpg

KT Mawar Bouquet-2.jpg

Edited by Flo

• Thanks for your support!!

Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.