Skip to content

MatthewSullivan

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Country

    United States

Everything posted by MatthewSullivan

  1. sorry, i didnt format my reply well! everything after 'phenomenal little setup' was to Dave
  2. Agree with Dave with regards to WWLC/24-50. phenomenal little setup. @Dave_Hicks WACP is an improvement vs wwlc but whether that improvement is worth the size vs cost...YMMV. Since you have WWL, the WACP-C wont (imo) be worthwhile. If you were going to do one, the WACP1 would be the more worthwhile upgrade
  3. The MFO-3 and MFO-3II are optically identical. The glass supplier changed so the nomenclature changed to differentiate for any repair/glass replacement purposes in the future. The dimensions are a few MM different but that is it
  4. I've never used the MWL but from what i gather, the image quality left a lot to be desired, especially in the corners. I'll reiterate though, not havig shot it, i cannot comment first hand. I don't believe alex has shot it either. I shot the kraken for a few years and while it isn't flawless optically, i found i acceptable for most applications I used it for. i do not have access to any of my hard drives with images from it currently but ill circle back to this and post some once I do. It still does need to be stopped down to f11 or so (imo) before it gets good enough on the edges but for things like sharks or whatever else in open water id shoot it at f8 no problem
  5. The Maxis have been thoroughly enjoying thus far for both macro and wide angle. The Pro maxes have an edge in light quality, especially without diffusers, but i have zero complaints about maxi quality of light and the power and speed are hugely enjoyable
  6. 13mm RS on sony mirrorless is (imho) by far the sharpest lens underwater. the resolution it resolves is spectacular and it surpasses thr 8-15 from canon or nikon in all the categories mentioned
  7. https://www.divephotoguide.com/underwater-photography-special-features/article/review-om-system-olympus-om-d-e-m10-mark-iv-backscatter-octo-housing/ should help address at least some of the questions :)
  8. Hi All. Hoping somebody still has an Isotta or Nauticam D700 housing laying around they're willing to part with! Feel free to email me matthew@9milesnorth.com Thank you. Matthew
  9. having talked to seacam at DEMA, i think a few things weren't made clear in their preview. The lens is not a water contact optic like the WACP. It is water corrector port. According to seacam it is designed to allow a land lens to perform exactly the same underwater as it does on land, so the image quality seems largely dependent on the optic you put behind the port. Not all lenses are created equal so I imagine it will take some experimentation before the ideal lenses to use are determined
  10. https://www.divephotoguide.com/underwater-photography-special-features/article/review-aoi-underwater-ultra-inteli-uis-p1-strobe/ linked it above but here it is again
  11. I haven't used the OM1 II but the original OM1 has some of the best tracking of any camera i've used. It is remarkably sticky
  12. https://www.divephotoguide.com/underwater-photography-special-features/article/review-aoi-underwater-ultra-inteli-uis-p1-strobe/ Here is a more extensive written review by Andrew of this strobe
  13. i would imagine its to guard against flare since the SMC/CMC lenses are very prone to it
  14. it is interesting how relatively frequently it seems that strobe floods occur when they have remained sealed for X amount of time after diving, and then diving again. The only strobes I've ever flooded happened this way and I recall several other accounts both here and on we**ixel that were in the same vein
  15. Alex and I discuss it here. And I have a DPG review on it coming out next week
  16. Oh if it’s between the tamron 90 and z mount 105, the z mount 105 may well be the best macro lens on the market
  17. The tamron is fantastic. I’ve been using it quite a lot for an upcoming review. I think it is faster and a bit better IQ than Sonys 90 but it is a much newer lens so that makes sense. Especially for the price, it provides phenomenal value
  18. One other thing. with certain monitors, including the kraken, the OUTPUT on the camera has to be set to 1080. You can have the camera record whatever resolution you want but the HDMI output has to be set to 1080.
  19. Two things here: 1) now that live preview settings are turned off, the monitor doesn't adjust unless you do something manually. So it is going to be as bright as you have it set and has nothing to do with how the camera is perceiving the scene. 2) you are also using a DSLR to focus via live view. By nature, DSLRs (with maybe the exceptions being 1dx mark iii and d780, i'm not sure about 5D4) do not have proper live view focusing as this isn't how they were really designed to be used so the overall focus performance is going to be worse. Again though, it has nothing to do with the monitor. the monitor is simply a larger screen, showing the same feed your LCD shows, it does not impact the camera's performance.
  20. The OM1 has some of the best autofocus I've used underwater. It is remarkably good. However, for 1/5th the price, the em10 IV gives 90% of the performance (imo). If budget isnt a concern, the om1 is definitely better. But it is not a night and day difference. https://www.divephotoguide.com/underwater-photography-special-features/article/review-om-system-olympus-om-d-e-m10-mark-iv-backscatter-octo-housing
  21. I have one currently for testing/review. I haven't used TTL on it yet, but i like it a lot. It is built well, has a USB-C charging port built in, recycles quickly, etc. Have only used it with the HF1 thus far, but should be able to take it for a rip with some other strobes in the coming weeks
  22. I should have one in hand in the next few days and will begin testing it
  23. awesome, Walt! How did you find the AF performance on the Z cameras?
  24. Not sure this is my favorite image of 2023 but it was by far my favorite experience. One of my best friends (pictured) and I got to spend a day looking for alligators and managed to be in the water with this 11 footer. Incredible experience and so intimidating and humbling.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.