Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Your ONE best shot of 2005

Started by Alex_Mustard ·

  • 223Posts
  • 223Replies

Read-only discussion

Your ONE best shot of 2005

223 posts
  1. Does it have to be shot underwater?

     

    Wetpixel is a fairly anarchic democracy, so feel free to let the thread develop as you wish! We all like seeing fantastic images - so get them up here.

     

    If they happen to feature some aspect of the ocean that would be nice.

     

    Alex

  2. Hi all,

     

    This one was taken in the afternoon off the coast of Guernsey..

     

    Looked inviting.. Taken with a friends EOS300D. On auto settings.

     

    Loved the White pointer photo from Keith..

    post-5159-1134489391_thumb.jpg

    Edited by DeanB
  3. Hey all,

     

    Somewhat u/w related as this was after a dive.

    It's my favorite since I basically just point and shot it and was really pleased at how it turned out.

     

    Sunset from Port Royal, Jamaica.

    DSCF0869.jpg

    Edited by Jamdiver
  4. My best image this year didn't come from underwater, unfortunately. There wasn't enough emotion in any of those frames to make any of them "winners" for me.

     

    The child, being read to by the nurse, is waiting for surgery for injuries sustained from a car accident caused by a drunk driver. Both his parents were killed in the accident. The book was with him in the car; rescuers brought it, and his teddy bear, with him to the hospital.

     

    childheadinj.jpg

     

    All the best, James

  5. James.....awesome shot....your photograph really tells the story

     

    This is what we should all be trying to acheive with our underwater work....."What's the Story?" behind the shot?

     

    Karl

    Edited by kdietz
  6. James.. wow exelent photo . Magnum quality!!!! I love it....

     

    Lambis

  7. Oh WOW !!

     

    Thats a emotional piece James. Seeing as the works xmas parties are creeping up on us, makes you think ??

     

    Remember the kids face before you go "one for the road"

     

    Dive and stay safe everyone

     

    DeanB

  8. James, it is not a picture or a "shot" to me, it is a capture of a moment in time and wonderful qualities of compassion and hope. You perfectly duplicated and communicated this and the emotional impact is powerful. That is what great photography is all about.

     

    It is kinda how a great artist will capture the essence of people or a landscape. You got it spot on it with this one.

     

    Thanks for posting it. And this does indeed have to do with the ocean, I was moved to see the book was about the adventures of the S. S. Happiness Crew!!!!

     

    Do you have any information on how the little boy is now?

     

    Thanks, Carol

    Edited by seagrant
  9. Being the father of 2 young children....it brought tears to my eyes!

     

     

    Dave

  10. Thanks for the wonderful comments, folks. I am overwhelmed...hearing from such august shooters as those on this board makes it worth all the long hours, bad food, deadline pressure and abuse from editors!

     

    Actually, I wanted to pass on my compliments for all the incredible images in this thread. Bravo.

     

    Carol, I had heard that the little boy recovered well (physically) and is in the care of his grandparents.

     

    All the best, James

  11. Awesome picture, James. It made my skin tingle. That could be a lifetime best shot - let alone for 2005.

  12. I am just a beginner, and am not in the same class as all of you. Having said that, this is my favorite pic that I took this year. I was snorkelling in Maui this past winter and ran into this very friendly and very large turtle.

    post-5664-1134537469_thumb.jpg

    Edited by caseofthemondays
  13. James "under my skin" exeptional photo have show more that ever what photography is about.

     

    One photo is more that 1000 words. How true....

     

    In this topic that everybody show his favorite Photo we see that we are really far away to do this undwerwater. Many exelent photos some off the more powerfull not one off them with the power and magic off james photo.

     

    But James show that this is posible and I am 100% sure that many off us can do muth better including myself.

     

    So maybe the Newyears wish must be that everybody will try to do his best next year in terms to archive this goal.

     

    What about if we try to do it for next year ?

     

    It will help to find categories that have nothing to do with Marine Landscape & Life.

     

    Like :

    Adrenalin

    Water Phobia

    Face to Face...

    UW portrait...and many more.. Wetpixel is the perfect forum to do this.

     

    Just a Idea....

     

    Lambis

    Edited by motionsync
  14. Hi all,

     

    Makes me think of the time I took a friend for his first try-dive. He (then) could'nt swim and clearing his mask was almost impossible. But after 8 attempts he'd done it. The look on his face under the water and as he jumped up in celebration was amazing. wish I had a camera then !!

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  15. Now mine!

     

    Testing the 12-24mm and the D70 in Ike housing with one DS125

    chuchito.jpg

    Edited by mmb
  16. I call this one, "I must be losing my mind..."

     

    losing_mind.jpg

     

    -Mickey

  17. Ha, ha, I think the cleaner fish got a bit over enthusiastic on the scalp clean and shine..

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  18. This is my first year at digital underwater photography. This was taken whilst trying to find Whalesharks at Gladden Spit in Belize.

    post-5393-1134586379_thumb.jpg

  19. Just a little something from my backyard last August.

    post-4290-1134590747_thumb.jpg

  20. Better late than never... I will play!

     

    I consider this my favorite for a number of reasons. First, I think it might be one of the most "artistic" shots I have ever taken. But probably more important, it was 100% pre planned. I spent the day working on "getting" exactly what I had in my minds eye.

     

    I was lucky enough to be able to dive the same site 3 dives in a row, allowing me to set up the shot with a good idea of the routine of the fish I was stalking.

     

    In every way, this was a first for me, and I was ecstatic with the results. Too bad most contest judges don't like it as much as I do! ;)

     

    RAH_Fish_01.jpg

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.