Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Martin Edge's The Underwater Photographer - new 4th edition

Started by Alex_Mustard ·

  • 166Posts
  • 166Replies

Read-only discussion

Martin Edge's The Underwater Photographer - new 4th edition

166 posts
  1. Got a bit of a scoop today, when I went around to visit Martin Edge, who is putting the finishing touches on the brand new 4th edition of his popular book (I have seen it referred to here on Wetpixel as the bible!) The Underwater Photographer. Martin says that he has about 8 hours more work and then it is totally, completely finished.

     

    The new edition is a total re-write and significantly expanded from the 3rd edition, it is certainly written so that it is an essential buy for anyone who has the 3rd edition. I got a few sneak peaks, I wasn't going to pass on that, which left me very keen to see the whole thing in the flesh. The book is due out this year and is already listed on Amazon (UK) with an early December release. Although I think Martin hopes it will be out a month earlier than that.

     

    Here is a picture of Mr Edge, which I snapped over his shoulder as he was showing me some of the images from the section on schooling fish.

    post-713-1251999351.jpg

     

    Alex

  2. Oh, that figures, just as I finished reading the 3rd edition.

     

    Seriously, Martin's is the best UW photography book I've read. I wish I'd read it sooner. Looking forward to reading the new one soon!

    Edited by Natalie_S
  3. This is the bible. Great to hear that its in the fourth edition. Plesae post when I can get a copy. I have a space for it next to my second and third editions!

     

    Seriously, noone deals with the technical aspects of DSLR photography better than him. So with that and Jim Church's Essential Guide to Composition I think you are set.

  4. Just as I was about to order the 3rd edition online too! I suppose I shall wait then. This sounds like it will be more than worth it :wacko:

  5. Amazon is taking pre release orders with an estimated release date of November 7.

  6. Thats my chrimbo prezzie sorted then. I read the third edition in one, I was addicted to the way Martin has the writing power to make everything seem so easy and un complicted.

    Putting it into practice is a different matter though !

     

    Stew

  7. I read the third edition in one, I was addicted to the way Martin has the writing power to make everything seem so easy and un complicted.

    Putting it into practice is a different matter though !

    I've often thought that a waterproof version of martin's book would be very handy to have as a reference tool underwater! Can't wait for the new edition to be released.

  8. Nice. I'll have to buy it once it is in print.

  9. hmmmm...I was thinking of reading his book again, this maybe due a purchase to read on my 15 hour trip to Manado on Xmas eve!

    I've also recently emailed him about a possible "advanced compact" course, maybe he might do a deal with the book!!?

    Woody

  10. Ah crap third edition just arrived!

  11. Amazon UK is quoting a delivery date of 28th October 2009 for pre-ordered copies.

     

    Already ordered mine :P

     

    Nige Wade

  12. I received a press release from the publishers at the weekend - with more info. Its on my laptop at the mo - I'll post it here soon.

     

    Alex

  13. hmmmm...I was thinking of reading his book again, this maybe due a purchase to read on my 15 hour trip to Manado on Xmas eve!

    I've also recently emailed him about a possible "advanced compact" course, maybe he might do a deal with the book!!?

    Woody

    Oh! How things can change in 12 days :):P

  14. Amazon UK is quoting a delivery date of 28th October 2009 for pre-ordered copies.

     

    Already ordered mine :)

     

    Nige Wade

     

    Will put it on my Xmas list for the OH to get for me. Currently reading the 3rd edition kindly loaned to me by another Wetpixie.

     

     

    Oh! How things can change in 12 days :D:P

     

    What don't you need a compact course anymore? :)

  15. post-713-1255340756.jpg\

     

    Got this on the email.

     

    Alex

  16. Great news.

     

    Is the reverse also true, that if one buys the 4th edition it would also benefit you to buy the 3rd edition?

     

    Thanks

    Geo

  17. I've not read the 4th Edition yet, so I am not sure.

     

    IMO I would get the new one. Although Martin told me he has completely re-written the content - the message in some of the core areas remains the same. Things that were right in the 3rd Edition will still be right in the 4th Edition. Just expressed in a different way.

     

    That said the 4th Edition has been written in the knowledge that many readers will have the 3rd Edition - so it is designed to work alongside it.

     

    This is a quote from my interview with Martin about the 4th Edition from the next in my "A Conversation With..." series:

    "so much new material has come up that my initial writing schedule of 3 months has ballooned to a year. I have even given up my golf for it"

     

    Alex

  18. "so much new material has come up that my initial writing schedule of 3 months has ballooned to a year. I have even given up my golf for it"

     

    :P

     

    Sounds really good and even if it would mean buying both books, that aint a bad thing.

     

    Another bit of good news is that we now know there will be "A Converstion with Martin Edge" to be read in the future.

  19. WP excepting, it has been Martin's third edition which has been instrumental in improving my u/w photography over any other. Its great to hear that his fourth contains so much more information and new material.

     

     

    I've not read the 4th Edition yet, so I am not sure.

     

    IMO I would get the new one. Although Martin told me he has completely re-written the content - the message in some of the core areas remains the same. Things that were right in the 3rd Edition will still be right in the 4th Edition. Just expressed in a different way.

     

    That said the 4th Edition has been written in the knowledge that many readers will have the 3rd Edition - so it is designed to work alongside it.

     

    This is a quote from my interview with Martin about the 4th Edition from the next in my "A Conversation With..." series:

    "so much new material has come up that my initial writing schedule of 3 months has ballooned to a year. I have even given up my golf for it"

     

    Alex

  20. I ordered the 4th edition on Amazon US with a delivery date of Nov. 09 2009...doesn't seem possible if Focal Press is saying December. What are my chances?

     

    Alex -- When can we expect a comparable book from you?? :P

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.