Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Martin Edge's The Underwater Photographer - new 4th edition

Started by Alex_Mustard ·

  • 166Posts
  • 166Replies

Read-only discussion

Martin Edge's The Underwater Photographer - new 4th edition

166 posts
  1. Hey, what the heck! Amazon will list it sooner or later. At least they are being honest and not taking money against an order they are unable to fullfill. Yup, I'd like to browse Martin's latest now, but next month ain't going to hurt. Chill...

  2. We will see it (the book) when we see it! ha ha :D

    I have the first 3 editions so am looking forward to the 4th. Bought them all in bookstores.

  3. Hi all

    According to the publisher, the new release date is Feb 7, 2010. I don't know why Amazon is cancelling orders, apparently they aren't interested in making money. So far Amazon has not canceled my order, and hopefully they won't.

    Mike

     

    PS: you can order direct from Focalpress.com for $39.95

    Edited by Beach Bum
  4. We will see it (the book) when we see it! ha ha :D

    I have the first 3 editions so am looking forward to the 4th. Bought them all in bookstores.

     

    Well aren't you special! :D

  5. Well aren't you special! :D

     

    Quite the opposite! After reading Alex's postings I am more than slightly curious about this new edition (I am sure many others are as well) having followed the evolution of the book since the 1st ed. My personal approach to UWP has changed considerably with digital and even more recently since card size is not longer a limit. I used 4GB cards before 2008 but now have up to 32GB. This has impacted my approach and wonder how this has affected his philosophy. Should be a good read.

     

    However, one needs to exercise some patience. The book will come out, just not yesterday. Seems to me that ordering something before it is available is inviting trouble. Hopefully the delays were not due to some financial difficulty at the publisher, things being what they are with the economy.

  6. Just had an Email from Amazon

     

    "We're happy to inform you that the items you requested are now available to order from Amazon.co.uk."

    The Underwater Photographer (Paperback)

     

    Availability: Temporarily out of stock. Order now and we'll deliver when available. We'll e-mail you with an estimated delivery date as soon as we have more information.

     

    Looks like a February release

     

    Nige Wade

  7. Hi all,

     

    I've just pre-ordered mine from Amazon (UK)

     

    It was a bit cheaper than ordering it via Focal Press.

     

    At least they are accepting pre-orders again. They cancelled my previous one, and I assumed (wrongly) that I would have to re-order it when it came out at the full price.

     

    Well done amazon!

     

    Adam

  8. My daughter asked me what I wanted for Christmas and I told her it was Martin Edge's new book. I did warn her though, that she had to pre-order it and I didn't mind receiving it after Christmas.

     

    So I think I can look forward to receiving soon it as a gift. Yay!

     

    Ellen

  9. I ordered mine yesterday at a local bookstore - release date for Australia apparantly isn't until mid Mar 2010

     

    Karl

  10. Hi all,

     

    Just had an update from Amazon UK

     

    "Dear Customer,

     

    Greetings from Amazon.co.uk.

     

    Please be advised that we have a revised delivery date for the items you ordered on December 22 2009 (Order #026-5937946-2913968).

     

    MARTIN EDGE "The Underwater Photographer"

    Estimated arrival date: January 21 2010 - January 22 2010"

     

    Back in business, and exactly as predicted!

     

    Adam

  11. Interesting,

     

    My email from Amazon UK said:

     

    Please be advised that we have a revised delivery date for the items you ordered on December 22 2009 (Order #203-2811087-4335505).

     

    MARTIN EDGE "The Underwater Photographer"

    Estimated arrival date: January 25 2010 - January 28 2010

     

     

     

    They must be staggering them...

  12. Maybe I am being really stupid (wouldn't be the first time), but, I can't seem to find it on Amazon :D I can find the 3rd Ed., but not the 4th.

     

    Could anyone please point me in the right direction :drink: Either Amazon, or somewhere else I could lay my hands on a copy

     

    Cheers

     

    Sean

  13. Maybe I am being really stupid (wouldn't be the first time), but, I can't seem to find it on Amazon :D I can find the 3rd Ed., but not the 4th.

     

    Could anyone please point me in the right direction :drink: Either Amazon, or somewhere else I could lay my hands on a copy

     

    Cheers

     

    Sean

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Underwater-Photogr...5174&sr=1-3

    I think this is the one, same cover as the U.S. one labeled 4th edition

     

    http://www.amazon.com/Underwater-Photograp...5302&sr=8-1

    for the U.S. one.

  14. Amazon is now showing a US release date of Feb. 7, 2010.

  15.  

    You Sir, are a gent ^_^

     

    I'm pretty certain I saw that, and then for some obscure reason discounted it, as it said available in 10-12 days (I figured it would be longer than that).

    Looking at all the bumpf below also shows

     

    Publisher: Focal Press; 4th Revised edition edition (24 Oct 2009)

     

    Just put my order in :)

  16. Glad too see the end is in sight.

     

    For those in the UK, Martin will be speaking at the February meeting of BSoUP - a great chance for signed copies.

     

    Alex

    Edited by Alex_Mustard
  17. You Sir, are a gent ^_^

     

    I'm pretty certain I saw that, and then for some obscure reason discounted it, as it said available in 10-12 days (I figured it would be longer than that).

    Looking at all the bumpf below also shows

     

    Publisher: Focal Press; 4th Revised edition edition (24 Oct 2009)

     

    Just put my order in :)

     

    I think I'd be asking Amazon to confirm that it will be the 4th edition they intend to ship to you.

     

    R

  18. End is in sight, just heard this from martin:

     

    As anticipated, it's a big book and with the front-matter, index and glossary, will run to about 520 odd pages... I leave for a photo workshop in Lankayan next Thursday 21st January returning on 7th Feb. I expect to receive published copies on my return or around the 7th with supply to the shops and other usual outlets very soon after.
  19. I've ordered a copy from an online shop in the UK that offers free shipping, even to Australia.

     

    Cheers,

    Jim.

  20. I've ordered a copy from an online shop in the UK that offers free shipping, even to Australia.

     

    Cheers,

    Jim.

     

    Thanks for that, I've just ordered with them too.

     

    R

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.