Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Martin Edge's The Underwater Photographer - new 4th edition

Started by Alex_Mustard ·

  • 166Posts
  • 166Replies

Read-only discussion

Martin Edge's The Underwater Photographer - new 4th edition

166 posts
  1. Hey Alex

    I wouldn't beat yourself up over this. I don't believe you had anything to do with Martin's book being delayed. I thank you for anouncing his new book. Although I have his third edition, I have already preordered the fourth edition to find out what new tips and tricks he has come up with. Perhaps someday you will write a similar book. In fact, what are you waiting for, I believe a lot of people would be interested in a book like this from you. It's always good to get opinions from differant photographers as everyone takes a little differant approach. One thing I have learned about UW photography, if you want a good picture you have to be patient. I believe the same will be true of Martin's book.

    Mike

  2. Thanks for the support guys. It has been a fun thread. Many books have delays like this (and you just wouldn't hear about it), I just feel a bit guilty that because of my original post - this has been a public delay, rather than a private one. Although I guess if we all go out and buy a copy then Martin will be happy with the result!

     

    Alex

  3. Thanks for the support guys. It has been a fun thread. Many books have delays like this (and you just wouldn't hear about it), I just feel a bit guilty that because of my original post - this has been a public delay, rather than a private one. Although I guess if we all go out and buy a copy then Martin will be happy with the result!

     

    Alex

     

    Hi Alex

    not to worry, it'll make for good reading in the new Year!

     

    (BTW, you might care to change the sub-header of the thread "8 hours away"!)

     

    R

  4. I hold you totally responsible Alex ;) ....For making me buy this book that will be here once I get _back_ from the Socorros. At least I'll have a very good idea of what i did wrong... :)

     

    Cheers,

    Jack

  5. Don't feel bad Jack, even with the book I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong! ;)

    Mike

  6. Drat, Amazon just informed me they canceled my pre-order. I was SURE I authorized the delay, but guess I didn't.

     

    Gotta get back in the queue now.

  7. Martin,

    hope to pick up two copies at LIDS. Alex, will you be around too?

     

    Izzy

  8. Coincidently, I had lunch with Martin today. He will definitely be at LIDS, I will be if I am invited to speak.

     

    Alex

    Edited by Alex_Mustard
  9. Drat, Amazon just informed me they canceled my pre-order. I was SURE I authorized the delay, but guess I didn't.

     

    Gotta get back in the queue now.

    I definitely authorized the delay, sent them the authorization notice as well but they still cancelled. Strange

    Bill

  10. Got this from amazon.co.uk today.

     

    Please be advised that we have a revised delivery date for the items you ordered on October 15 2009

     

    MARTIN EDGE "The Underwater Photographer"

    Estimated arrival date: December 24 2009 - January 06 2010

  11. Got this from amazon.co.uk today.

     

    Please be advised that we have a revised delivery date for the items you ordered on October 15 2009

     

    MARTIN EDGE "The Underwater Photographer"

    Estimated arrival date: December 24 2009 - January 06 2010

     

    Ditto that.

     

    Hopefully between Christmas and New Year so I've got so free time to read it through!

     

    R

  12. Doh and Doh - hope vanquished! another update from Amazon that jives with what Alex has been saying. note: not that i doubted Alex's post or his source (Martin), was just holding out whatever hope was left.

     

    [We regret to inform you that your order will take longer to fulfill than originally estimated. Our supplier has notified us that there is a delay obtaining stock for the following items you ordered on October 15 2009.

     

    MARTIN EDGE "The Underwater Photographer"

     

    We are awaiting a revised estimate from our supplier, and will email you as soon as we receive this information.]

    Edited by jmauricio
  13. Doh and Doh - hope vanquished! another update from Amazon that jives with what Alex has been saying. note: not that i doubted Alex's post or his source (Martin), was just holding out whatever hope was left.

     

    Heard from Martin yesterday. All seems on track for the dates posted earlier.

     

    Alex

  14. Heard from Martin yesterday. All seems on track for the dates posted earlier.

     

    Alex

     

    Not according to Amazon, just received this:

     

     

    Dear Customer,

    Greetings from Amazon.co.uk.

     

    We regret to inform you that we have been unable to obtain the following item:

     

    MARTIN EDGE "The Underwater Photographer"

     

    We apologise for the length of time it has taken us to reach this conclusion. Until recently, we had still hoped to obtain this item for you.

     

    This item has now been cancelled from your order and we can confirm that you have not been charged for it.

     

    We are no longer able to offer this item for sale. Our supplier has informed us that this item has been discontinued and is no longer available.

     

    Please accept our apologies for any disappointment or inconvenience caused.

     

    :-(

     

    R

    Edited by ralphy
  15. Sounds a bit serious. I guess that is just how the amazon order system deals with the delay. The book is still coming in January.

     

    Alex

  16. Just got the same from Amazon :-(

  17. Scroll up - they cancelled a couple of the rest of us back at the beginning of December.

     

    I wouldn't read much into it either. I'd figure the author would know if he was getting published a bit more than Amazon, especially if the holdup was related to production formats, it was already a done deal.

     

    Just c0mput3rs doing what they do best.

     

    :D

  18. Just had my pre- order from Amazon cancelled this really p#$% me off any one else have the same thing happen to them?

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

    7

    Edited by Crayfish
  19. Yup!

     

    Amazon can't cope with the delay, so they have binned everyone's order.

     

    Shall we try elsewhere in 2010?

    Perhaps Focal Press can help....

     

    Tim

     

    :D

  20. So far my order has not been canceled and is slated for February delivery. I did o.k. the delay with Amazon months ago..will see what happens.

    Has anyone who's order was canceled checked with the publisher to see if they can order from another retailer or from the publisher directly?

     

    Mike

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.