Have to love the one click ordering on Amazon. So easy. Ordered mine just now. Hopefully it will be here before next Saturday so I can take it on my trip.
Cannot wait to see the latest edition
DiverPam
Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic
Started by Alex_Mustard ·
Read-only discussion
Have to love the one click ordering on Amazon. So easy. Ordered mine just now. Hopefully it will be here before next Saturday so I can take it on my trip.
Cannot wait to see the latest edition
DiverPam
My copy was despatched this morning at long last, should be with me in the next couple of day...! Glad to see Amazon UK have got stock now!
Got a bit of a scoop today, when I went around to visit Martin Edge, who is putting the finishing touches on the brand new 4th edition of his popular book (I have seen it referred to here on Wetpixel as the bible!) The Underwater Photographer. Martin says that he has about 8 hours more work and then it is totally, completely finished.
The new edition is a total re-write and significantly expanded from the 3rd edition, it is certainly written so that it is an essential buy for anyone who has the 3rd edition. I got a few sneak peaks, I wasn't going to pass on that, which left me very keen to see the whole thing in the flesh. The book is due out this year and is already listed on Amazon (UK) with an early December release. Although I think Martin hopes it will be out a month earlier than that.
Alex
Well, I got mine just in time for my trip! Actually got the 4th edition yesterday and the 3rd today! LOL! So am taking the 3rd on The Road, and will leave the 4th at home.
I will be spending so much time trying to get a basic handle on this stuff!
I notice that this is in the unrequited gear lust section, and for a while I thought it might be (unrequited that is!)
Amazon UK delivered mine this morning!
First thoughts are that it has a bunch of "guest" speakers, and it is a big book!
Now for a quiet week!
Adam
I got an email advising of the refund too which was a nice surprise. I'm not even sure if it is available in hardcover?
While I am not going to refuse my refund, I would have far rather paid the full price and had more of the money go to Martin honestly.
I am all for lower prices but I also want authors to be fairly compensated so that they continue to produce such excellent and helpful works.
WOW! Wonderful book. Fantastic reference. Beginner to advanced.
It also drives home the lesson that the photographer not the equipment makes the difference. Unless those Inons have some kind of Harry Potter magical powers I have the ability to take much better shots with my D300 & my DS125's.
Andy
I couldn't even find it on Amazon UK, but it's showing as in stock on Amazon.com.
Poor show for us Brits.
R
Hi Ralphy,
I persisted with The Book Repository after also having my order canceled and receiving a full refund. I emailed them to inquire about whether
I could actually order or not from them after I noted the title was still listed on their site. They replied that it was now available and I could indeed
order again. The free shipping to Australia was very attractive.
I just received the following from them
.....I am pleased to let you know that we have just received notification that your pre-ordered book has been made available by the publisher. This book will be dispatched to you in the next few days.....
Cheers,
Jim.
Hi Ralphy,I persisted with The Book Repository after also having my order canceled and receiving a full refund. I emailed them to inquire about whether
I could actually order or not from them after I noted the title was still listed on their site. They replied that it was now available and I could indeed
order again. The free shipping to Australia was very attractive.
I just received the following from them
Cheers,
Jim.
Hi Jim,
thanks for that, I've been too busy to go onto Amazon for it so I'll re-order off The Book Repository.
R
I'll add my $0.02 endorsement. Ordered the book from Amazon after reading this thread about 10 days ago - came about a week later, and from what I've read, this is a MUST HAVE for every serious uw photographer (I know what I'll be getting several people for Christmas this year!).
Received my copy today and at first glance it sure looks the goods. Very happy to get it for only $33 AUD inc delivery to Australia ![]()
Cheers,
Jim
After four orders and three cancellations, I finally have my own copy... First a shower, then start reading...
After four orders and three cancellations, I finally have my own copy... First a shower, then start reading...
I have the 3rd editon and I'm keen on getting the 4th too. But could somone here please give a little "what's new" highlights here?
Oskar: Vad jag förstått så är den helt omgjord med innehåll bara för digitalkameror. Kan ju dock ha fel då jag inte läst de andra.
Mine arrived last week too, so far so good, although i'm not even half way thru yet. Although I'm yet to see just how much of it is new from the 3rd edn.
Received my copy today and at first glance it sure looks the goods. Very happy to get it for only $33 AUD inc delivery to Australia
Where'd you get it at that price Jim? Mine was actually a gift so not sure how much it was to get out here.
Hi Ryan,
it was from The Book Depository in the UK. I'm so used to paying an arm and a leg for books here in Australia I was
amazed at the deal I got. When I showed Alex and Shannon my copy they were both happy with the print quality on their
images in it.
Cheers,
Jim.
Am I the only one that keep finding typos and other thing that just don't quite feel right. For instance there is one page of a shot of a eel, with a quiz on how it was being lighted. The answer was on around page 260 I think. The answer says the strobe was placed left, but reading the explanation it really does seem to be from the right. I'm about halfway though, and I think I've spotted 4 - 5 missing letters (is instead of his for instance). I might have my expectations set to high, but I feel when you get this kind of mistakes that I find just by reading it through, what else have they got wrong?
I was looking at www.edgeunderwaterphotography.com for some errata, but I couldn't find anything.
/Björn
Am I the only one that keep finding typos and other thing that just don't quite feel right. For instance../Björn
I've found a bunch, too, but in every case, it's been pretty obvious what was intended, and there's enough worthwhile info in it that I consider that a minor quibble.
Nevertheless, I would concede that when the fifth edition is "ready for press," Martin should probably have Alex and a dozen or so other people (literate uw photographers) "beta test" it before actually finalizing it for print.
I've noticed in both his third and fourth edition numerous errors. Martin could certainly use a proof reader. And yes, I am volunteering my services! But as Bruce pointed out, for the most part it is obvious what was intended.
Mike
Since I got the first copy Alex asked me to write up a review. It's up on the front page today.
Cheers,
Steve
Since I got the first copy Alex asked me to write up a review. It's up on the front page today.
Cheers,
Steve
You are a star
And you are determined to make me spend more money on this darned UW photo thing, aren't you? ![]()
Good review Steve and I am going to pick it up - it seemed pretty clear from the git go that there was enough of a difference from the last edition to make it worthwhile and your review sealed it.
Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.