Martin Edge's The Underwater Photographer - new 4th edition
Started by Alex_Mustard ·
166Posts
166Replies
Read-only discussion
Martin Edge's The Underwater Photographer - new 4th edition
166 posts
sweet. amazon order cancelled
I am sure that Martin will be delighted to sign ones that are bought before the night - if that is possible. Also there might not be enough to go around on the night. I expect it to be a very popular evening. Here are some updates from recent emails from Martin (I am sure he won't mind me posting them here).
At long last I have a copy of the book in my hands and I must say I'm really pleased with the finished article.... I'm speaking and signing at Bsoup next Wednesday the 17th and the Focal team - as per the other editions are selling books on the night. I'm not sure when it will be in the shops in UK.
and from another email
At present a limited amount of copies are in the UK and the majority of these will be 'On Sale' at the book launch at BSOUP next Wednesday 17th February, where I will be presenting and signing. This email is both to inform you and if you have yet to visit Bsoup, to invite you along. Details, directions and timings can be found at http://www.bsoup.org/index.php
Since the first edition back in 1995 I've released the book at one of the Bsoup monthly meetings in London and it seems fitting to continue this trend. I know some of you are keen to attend but 'have yet to bite the bullet'. So think about a night out next Wednesday. Sylvia and I hope to see some of you there.
Alex
Mine still hasn't shipped from amazon yet - very frustrating seeing as I ordered it back in October
Little brown truck just delivered Martin's Fourth Edition. It does exist! By the way this thing is huge, over 500 pages.
At first blush the layout and photography look great.
Cheers,
Steve
Little brown truck just delivered Martin's Fourth Edition. It does exist! By the way this thing is huge, over 500 pages.
At first blush the layout and photography look great.
You must be the first Steve. I am looking forward to seeing it too.
Amazon UK is still showing as unavailable with no date as yet..! You would have thought it would be available first in the UK as the author lives in the UK..!
You would have thought it would be available first in the UK as the author lives in the UK..!
Yes but printed in Canada. For those of you on the fence or wondering if you should pick up the fourth version because you have the third. Don't wait, go directly to your favorite site and order it now. I've just finished my first read thru and it's much more than I expected.. This isn't an update from three, it's a new book. All new photographs. When you think about all that has evolved since the 3rd version was published in 2005 it makes sense that Martin would take it to the next level and he clearly has. P&S or SLR. I especially appreciated Alex's chapter on finding your own style. Martin covers all the basics here and more clearly than I've seen but the overall sense I have is of a graduate level course he and the contributing authors are providing. The depth of understanding he has successfuly communicated is the most amazing part for me.
I still don't understand why the inward lighting technique works, but I'm working on it.
And by the way it's now official. We can remove the "D" in DSLR and use the what is now appropriate SLR for all our cameras. The old chemical boxes are now FSLR's. Hey Martin said so, I love it.
Awesome work guys.
Steve
And by the way it's now official. We can remove the "D" in DSLR and use the what is now appropriate SLR for all our cameras. The old chemical boxes are now FSLR's. Hey Martin said so, I love it.
Awesome work guys.
Steve
Seems only right. Evolution ...
And by the way it's now official. We can remove the "D" in DSLR and use the what is now appropriate SLR for all our cameras. The old chemical boxes are now FSLR's. Hey Martin said so, I love it.
He doesn't say who he got this from?!...
He doesn't say who he got this from?!...
Not specifically Alex. I quote from the introduction,
"I've disposed of the word 'digital' in front of the expression 'SLR camera' and compact camera. The photo community cannot indefinitly continue to prefix every reference to a camera with the 'D' word. Should film ever make a comeback on the underwater photo front we can all use the term 'F' - 'film SLR'. "
He thanks you twice in the acknowlegements if it makes you feel better.
Cheers,
Steve
Looking forward to getting my copy Monday!
Mine has just been shipped finally, with expected delivery in about 6 weeks.
Mine has just been shipped finally, with expected delivery in about 6 weeks.
RSD, where di you order yours from? I'm guessing not locally yet? Anyone know if Amazon UK or Amazon US is quicker?
RSD, where di you order yours from? I'm guessing not locally yet? Anyone know if Amazon UK or Amazon US is quicker?
Amazon US, apparently. Focal Press are American, AFAIK.
RSD, where di you order yours from? I'm guessing not locally yet? Anyone know if Amazon UK or Amazon US is quicker?
mine is coming from Amazon US
I just received notice from "The Book Repository" in the UK that
Looks like the floodgates have opened and it's a late Christmas for the UWP fraternity
Cheers,
Jim.
And this is what I received from The Book Repository today:
I am terribly sorry to inform you that on this occasion we have been unable to fulfil part of your order.
This line has been cancelled and we have refunded your card.
R
Amazon UK is still showing as unavailable with no date as yet..! You would have thought it would be available first in the UK as the author lives in the UK..!
I couldn't even find it on Amazon UK, but it's showing as in stock on Amazon.com.
Poor show for us Brits.
R
Mine has just been shipped finally, with expected delivery in about 6 weeks.
6 weeks !?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!
Sheesh!
Of course I sent something to myself from Fiji. It took 6 months to get here. I thought it was ripped off. Good luck.
Whohooo, mine came today, awesome!!!!!!
Jack
6 weeks !?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!
Sheesh!
Of course I sent something to myself from Fiji. It took 6 months to get here. I thought it was ripped off. Good luck.
The joys of living in the middle of... nowhere. It's interesting watching the tracking when you get something sent DHL from NYC - it goes to Kentucky, then Frankfurt, then Dubai, Bangkok, Singapore, Perth (all in about 3 days) and then it takes at least another week after clearing customs to reach me. We only get deliveries on Wednesdays which doesn't help. So 6 weeks for Amazon's regular international shipping sounds about right.
I did see something on Amazon last night about another book from Martin that is due out in May.
The official launch is at BSoUP meeting tonight. I'll try and remember to take a camera along!
Alex
p.s. Spoke to Martin the other day and, Steve, he reckons that you were the first person to get a copy (after him)!