Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Martin Edge's The Underwater Photographer - new 4th edition

Started by Alex_Mustard ·

  • 166Posts
  • 166Replies

Read-only discussion

Martin Edge's The Underwater Photographer - new 4th edition

166 posts
  1. Pre-ordered on Amazon myself, they're giving me a Nov 12 shipping estimate.

  2. Thanks for the reminder. Just ordered 6 books from Amazon (3 UWP, 3 LR2) for sitting under the palm trees in a few days trees with a nice cold one ^_^

  3. Just pre-ordered with Amazon & got a 'estimated delivery' of 28th October!

     

    R

  4. I just received an email from Amazon.com telling me that shipping would be delayed until February 10 2010 - damn!

  5. I just received an email from Amazon.com telling me that shipping would be delayed until February 10 2010 - damn!

     

    Yup, me too! Must be selling like Hot Cakes!

  6. Will these be available at DEMA?

     

    Jack

  7. Ditto. And I'll cancel w/ Amazon as well if I can get it in person @ DEMA. Kinda wanted to read it on the flight there, but even first delivery estimate was too late for that....

  8. I've just been loooking at this....

     

    Focal Length press give and estimated delivery of 7th Nov, Their UK distributer Jan 2010, and Amazon still list 10th December!

     

    Who knows!

     

    Adam

  9. I feel like I've been DUPED..what a bummer!

     

    Am I right...DEMA is not open to the general public? Can I get in if I'm a divemaster, but not affiliated with a dive business? How much $$$ ?

     

    Thanks!

     

    Mike

  10. Mike, DEMA is an Industry show for wholesale and manufacturers...or at least that's how it started ;-).

     

    I think it is open to DMs and above though, as you're considered a professional.

     

    This is OT though, go to the DEMA site for more info.

     

    Jack

  11. AFAIK - Martin's plan has always been to launch the book at the Visions In The Sea conference (see this thread) in 6 days time - and I have heard nothing to suggest that this still won't be the case. Even if the main print run is not ready (no reason to suspect that this is the case) - I am sure Martin will have some advanced copies for Visions.

     

    Since Martin is attending Visions and not DEMA (they are on the same dates) I would not expect the book to be at DEMA - although I think that Amazon is being very pessimistic with a February date. I would expect all pre-orders to be delivered in November.

     

    If I hear different I will post here. Martin is in Misool at the moment, I think, but I know he is back in time for the Visions event, which starts on Friday.

     

    Alex

  12. AFAIK - Martin's plan has always been to launch the book at the Visions In The Sea conference (see this thread) in 6 days time

     

    Ooh - excellent - thanks for the heads up Alex!

  13. Update from Martin: "Book will not be ready for the weekend" - so there is a short delay.

     

    Alex

  14. I've often thought that a waterproof version of martin's book would be very handy to have as a reference tool underwater! Can't wait for the new edition to be released.

     

    and I just bought the 3rd edition a few months ago..... :blink::lol:

  15. I spoke directly with Focal Press, the publisher, and they told me that the new release date will be Jan. 24, 2010.

    Mike

  16. Anyway , as soon as the book will be available I will order it !

    If today I can make some decent pictures it's only with the help that I received from Martin's teaching :blink:

    My only wish is that an electronic edition on a cd could be more easy to take with me when I travel !! :lol:

    Edited by girelle
  17. I'm starting to regret starting this thread, as it seems to have been the kiss of death! That said I think I finally have a more definitive date that agrees with what Beach Bum heard from the publishers.

     

    I asked Martin what was the latest on the delay and these were his comments:

     

    ...should be on the shelves by 3rd week in January. I've only found this out myself yesterday. I was hoping for pre Xmas release but sadly it's not to be. I have mixed feelings about the delay....

    My pics, words and how I wanted to illustrate this 4th edition would not fit into any book template of Focal press. So, instead of making it fit they have designed a new template which is consistent with my style, aspirations and requests, which I think is a good thing.

     

    Alex

  18. Nah, you didn't break it...sounds like if we got it earlier it would've been a shoe-horn reformatting, so the reason for the delay is good news.

  19. Looking forward to the new book. I will certainly order it.

  20. I'm starting to regret starting this thread, as it seems to have been the kiss of death! That said I think I finally have a more definitive date that agrees with what Beach Bum heard from the publishers.

     

    I asked Martin what was the latest on the delay and these were his comments:

     

     

     

    Alex

    Don't do that Alex. Martin is going to sell one more book becouse of you and this tread. I'll buye one. Thanks Alex, for this book tips.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.