Skip to content

Lights, Strobes, and Lighting Technique / Archived topic

RETRA Strobe Thread

Started by guyharrisonphoto ·

  • 698Posts
  • 698Replies

Read-only discussion

RETRA Strobe Thread

698 posts
  1. 22 minutes ago, Algwyn said:

    What is the name of the Retra App? I searched it in the App Store, but could not find it. 

     

    Retra UWT

  2. 20 hours ago, Algwyn said:

    What is the name of the Retra App? I searched it in the App Store, but could not find it. 

     

    Retra UWT

  3. On 1/31/2020 at 8:51 PM, Matt Sullivan said:

    Retra UWT

    Thanks ... 

    Strangely, searching "Retra" on Apple App store does not give any result looking like Retra. But "Retra UWT" works like a charm!

  4. On 1/31/2020 at 4:56 AM, Joss said:

    With out yet been shooting underwater, my only complain would be is that it looks easy to scratch the front acrylic. Retra sells protectors to use when not using diffusers or reducers. Those bits are now ordered.

    The front glass is thick and robust, it's one of the heaviest parts of the whole assembly! 

    A few scratches here and there have absolutely no effect on lighting quality, especially under water. If somewhere down the line you decide to polish it you can use any kind of polish for acrylic glass. Or you could send it to us for a replacement.

    We have to add this to the Maintenance section of the user manual inside the App...

  5. Can someone who has a new Retra strobe please confirm some functionality for me? I'd be ever so grateful.

     

    I've been advised that when you're in BATT/TEST mode, you can push the middle button to fire the flash anytime, at the selected power level. Keen to double check if this is correct.

  6. 6 hours ago, Alison Perkins said:

    Can someone who has a new Retra strobe please confirm some functionality for me? I'd be ever so grateful.

     

    I've been advised that when you're in BATT/TEST mode, you can push the middle button to fire the flash anytime, at the selected power level. Keen to double check if this is correct.

    Yes, that is possible!

  7. 4 hours ago, ChrisH80 said:

    Yes, that is possible!

    Thank you Chris! :banana:

  8. Just a heads up for anyone in the US that has not received their strobes, there is an import duty charged on the purchase. For two prime strobes and two sets of bumpers, I paid a little over $70. Didn't pay any import duty on my original Retra's. I was also notified of the duty on the day that the strobes were being delivered.

  9. Thanks for the heads up Herb. I am still waiting on notification for the two Primes strobes I purchased to come in.

  10. Notification receive in France today !! (Pro)

  11. Got a DHL call today!  :)  Now if our airport does not shut down like last week! ;)

  12. My Pro's arrived two days ago... beautiful design and execution. Pairs with the app nicely...

    All of the accessories from V1 fit nicely on the V2. The neoprene jackets stay on better with the bumpers.

    Now just need to get them in the water:)

  13. Yesssss... just got my shipping notification! :yahoo:

    Next week I will find out if the customs will charge more than the strobes actually cost, or only slightly less... :o

     

  14. I received a shocking bill from DHL for $419 Canadian. That included Federal and Provincial sales tax, and "Brokerage Fees"

    I understand the taxes, no way of dodging those. I wonder if the remaining fees would have occurred if I had bought them through Reef or Backscatter in the US.

     

    ian

  15. Yes, DHL is infamous for those fees. Still, if I were to wait for them to show up in local stores, I'd probably still pay more - looking at a local store website, I see a YS-D2 for NIS 3000 ($855), Z-330 for NIS 2980 ($849), S-2000 for NIS 2000 ($569), DS-161 'on special' for NIS 3499 ($996) reduced from NIS 5190 ($1478) and so on. At 735 Euro per strobe (with the early preorder discount) I'm likely to come out ahead.

  16. I admire you guys for funding this company. The way is priced is that if you order from a distributor you spend the same when there is VAT scheme. When you are in US in a jurisdiction and get tax free it may be more convenient to buy from a retailer 

  17. FWIW my DHL bill is 110US for two pro strobes plus two synch adapters. As well, DHL has to mail it to me since I am in the boonies.

    Edited by Tom_Kline
  18. On 2/7/2020 at 12:32 AM, ianmarsh said:

    My Pro's arrived two days ago... beautiful design and execution. Pairs with the app nicely...

    All of the accessories from V1 fit nicely on the V2. The neoprene jackets stay on better with the bumpers.

    Now just need to get them in the water:)

    I also ordered the neoprene jackets, but not the bumpers (I confused them with the protective rings and ordered those instead of the bumpers). But now as the strobes and the neoprene jackets have arrived, I wonder if I should order the bumpers. The neoprene jackets are a very tight fit with my pair of strobes. It is not easy to get them "on" properly. Are the bumpers really helping the neoprene jackets? I can't even imagine that they will fit between the strobe and the neoprene jackets, as they are such a tight fit. Would like to hear more opinions on this or maybe someone has a picture of the bumpers and the neoprene jackets both attached on a strobe?

  19. I don't ordered neoprene jackets, but I made those with old wetsuit.

    Tomorow, first dive with the new toys !

     

    retras.jpg

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.