Metabones models for Canon/to/Sony

I am kicking around the options for fisheyes and it is looking like I will be needing a Canon to Sony E adapter for my Sony a6400 (maybe upgrading to a6700 but unlikely to FF). I am fuddled with the various Metabones models. There is the Series 5(V) as well as the 'Ultra' as well as previous generations, but is there a difference or 'best choice' for underwater use?

I will probably end up with a Tokina or Canon Wide FE zoom but I doubt I will be zooming much and would probably be happy with a Prime. I will be putting it a a Salted Line with 6" dome.

Thanks for any help.

Simon

Thanks, I may go that route ... the two are both around the same price here in Toronto, between 200 to 300 CDN so once I understand the hardware, I can go get one. I understand the Sigma allows for firmware upgrades - for what, I have no clue, so maybe that would be a better bet.

14 minutes ago, Lewis88 said:

I got the Sigma MC-11 instead of a metabones. Found mine used for a decent discount.

2 hours ago, SFEgr said:

Thanks, I may go that route ... the two are both around the same price here in Toronto, between 200 to 300 CDN so once I understand the hardware, I can go get one. I understand the Sigma allows for firmware upgrades - for what, I have no clue, so maybe that would be a better bet.

Typically the firmware upgrade is to deal with new camera bodies and lenses which often won't work with the old firmware.  Metabones also has upgradable firmware.  It seems the Metabones works with more lenses, but if the lens/camera is on the compatibility chart you are generally OK.  I picked up my Metabones used also.   Also Metabones will respond to email support questions. 

Also you just want the T Smart adapter model, the Speed booster ultra includes a 0.71x optical element which you might use to for example on a 10-17 with a m43 camera to get full 180° coverage at the wide end.  Not needed with the 10-17 on Sony APS-C.

Read through the notes on the EF-Sony lens adapter here:  https://www.metabones.com/products/details/MB-EF-E-BT5

• Like 1

If they are about the same price the Metabones would be a safer bet than the Sigma.

In Australia the Sigma is about half the price. I have a Sigma MC-11 on Sony A7Rv ... works great on photos, doesn't focus on video.

16 hours ago, SFEgr said:

I am kicking around the options for fisheyes and it is looking like I will be needing a Canon to Sony E adapter for my Sony a6400 (maybe upgrading to a6700 but unlikely to FF). I am fuddled with the various Metabones models. There is the Series 5(V) as well as the 'Ultra' as well as previous generations, but is there a difference or 'best choice' for underwater use?

I will probably end up with a Tokina or Canon Wide FE zoom but I doubt I will be zooming much and would probably be happy with a Prime. I will be putting it a a Salted Line with 6" dome.

Thanks for any help.

Simon

metabone is ok version IV and V are identical software except V has a physical switch for IBIS

• Thanks for your support!!

Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.