How powerful strobes do you really need for wide angle? Weight and size considerations (or my GAS journey)

6 hours ago, ChrisH said:

You can see the effect in the backscatter video about the filters at around 5:50.

Bildschirmfoto 2024-06-02 um 15.57.38.png

Foreground is different color. Left one looks much more yellowish / warmer than the right one. I think the left one should be white balanced to have a more neutral foreground (and maybe the right one too - hard to judge on a phone screen), and then let's see the difference

45 minutes ago, Adventurer said:

It makes sense if Backscatter did not change the WB to 4500K in the first „no diffusor“ shot. 🤑

Hahaha I had not seem that

ok than this makes totally no sense 

also it makes no sense to set the color temperature in any shot underwater 

On land fine but with absorption on water I dont see any reason unless you are really really close 

13 minutes ago, Andrej Oblak said:

Foreground is different color. Left one looks much more yellowish / warmer than the right one. I think the left one should be white balanced to have a more neutral foreground (and maybe the right one too - hard to judge on a phone screen), and then let's see the difference

Yes. They don't state the white balance setting on the left shot as far as I can see. The info maybe somewhere else, I did not look it up.

To be honest, the colors in both shots don't look really that pleasing to me. The left one ist way off in colors in my opinion. The right one I would personally have tried to achieve a warmer color on the foreground and less magenta. 

You can get those more greenish water colors in tropical waters if you shoot really shallow at sunset. But that particular picture does look a bit too much green even for such a shot.

9 hours ago, Interceptor121 said:

I don’t understand how 4600K strobes can turn green water into blue

green is related to tint not temperature 

I can see how pale blue could become

deeper blue but not how green turns to blue

I'm not sure how this relates to my comment (quoted by you) I made no mention of turning green water blue - perhaps it applies to another comment.

6 minutes ago, Chris Ross said:

I'm not sure how this relates to my comment (quoted by you) I made no mention of turning green water blue - perhaps it applies to another comment.

It was related to backscatter claim

sorry for the confusion 

Just now, Interceptor121 said:

It was related to backscatter claim

sorry for the confusion 

I'm as baffled as you about green water turning blue, you can do it in post processing but the diffuser has little to do with it.

• Haha 1

Thanks for the comparison photos, and for shining some light on this topic. Some replies have been illuminating. They do show the importance of smooth light fall off especially when using dual strobes angled slightly outwards to get even light across the picture

Personally, I think the very colour-saturated coral reef photos, whilst beautiful, are quite unoriginal now and get too much exposure, whilst ambient light pictures that more closely reflect what we really see under water (and preferably capture some of the magic of it) are mostly left in the dark. 

Before I warm too much to making bad puns I will cool off and go and recharge.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/2/2024 at 11:02 PM, Interceptor121 said:
On 6/2/2024 at 10:15 PM, Adventurer said:

It makes sense if Backscatter did not change the WB to 4500K in the first „no diffusor“ shot. 🤑

Hahaha I had not seem that

ok than this makes totally no sense

„ Look mom, I can turn green water into blue! “

( now you do not need buy me that $39 diffusor )

🤪😜

Edited by Davide DB
No video file attachment allowed

10 hours ago, Adventurer said:

„ Look mom, I can turn green water into blue! “

( now you do not need buy me that $39 diffusor )

🤪😜

Please guys, just upload your video to Youtube and then link them in your post.

Thanks

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Davide DB said:

Please guys, just upload your video to Youtube and then link them in your post.

Thanks

sorry! I did’t know that rule.

The video showed the left image of the bs promo pic screenshotted and taken in Adobe Lightroom. Then simply moving the white balance slider to the left until reaching approx 4500K.

The result was the image presented on the right 😎 by bs to promote their diffusor.

Edited by Adventurer
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Adventurer said:

sorry! I did’t know that rule.

No problem at all. We are waiting for a forum upgrade to block video uploads as we have resize filters for photo uploads.

On 6/2/2024 at 12:28 PM, DreiFish said:

IMG_9908.jpg

IMG_9908.jpg

I dunno but I wouldn't overthink it... In quote I put together non-diffused S220 (first) and Apollo (second) and they seem very similar to me... I might even prefer S220 to Apollo... The fly built in diffuser of Inon is brilliant I think.

7 hours ago, RomiK said:

I dunno but I wouldn't overthink it... In quote I put together non-diffused S220 (first) and Apollo (second) and they seem very similar to me... I might even prefer S220 to Apollo... The fly built in diffuser of Inon is brilliant I think.

RomiK, the two photos you have in your quote are both the Apollo (with and without diffuser). That's why they look the same. 

2 hours ago, DreiFish said:

RomiK, the two photos you have in your quote are both the Apollo (with and without diffuser). That's why they look the same. 

I put together first and 5th image out of these published. The first claims to be from inon 🤷‍♀️

Posted (edited)

First, Marelux Apollo 3s at full power, with diffuser  I judged good exposure to be ISO 100 F16. 

IMG_9915.jpg

Second, the Inon S-220s at full power, with the 4600k filter Best exposure was at ISO 100 F11. 

IMG_9937.jpg

The Inon S-220 picture was probably a few inches closer with slightly different framing (you can see from how much of the wreck was captured) I'd say that basically power is 1 stop lower, but the big difference is that the S-220 has less wide coverage and much more of a hotspot.

Also, please keep in mind that 2 strobes are used in each picture, at 10 and 2 o'clock. So this is the exposure you'd get with 2 strobes, not just one.

Edited by DreiFish
  • Like 1

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.