Backscatter MF-2 Measurements

In my continuing set of strobe tests, I've now measured the Backscatter MF-2 strobes. Results (with the Inon S-220 as a comparison):

image.png

image.png

image.png

And here is the beam pattern. Very narrow with no diffuser, but surprisingly wide with a diffuser.

Backscatter MF-2 No Diffuser.jpgBackscatter MF-2 Diffuser.jpg

Above, the 2nd image with the diffuser is exposed  brighter exposure to showcase beam spread and hotspotting. Here it is normalized at F22 ISO 100 so you can see just how much light you lose by using the diffuser. First image is the MF-2, second image is the Inon S-220 with its diffuser.

Backscatter MF-2 Diffuser (at F22).jpgInon S-220 Soft Diffuser.jpg

Observations

• Color temperature is very close to daylight with the diffuser, and warmer than most other strobes even without the diffuser
  • Beam coverage is very narrow without the diffuser -- really only suitable for macro
  • With the diffuser, you could use these strobes for wide angle shots in a pinch, but you're losing 1 2/3 stops of light, so they're only GN8 strobes. Backscatter uses a pretty thick diffuser to make the very narrow beam wide. Comparing like for like with the Inon S-220s, they're a full 2 stops less bright with a diffuser.
  • In HSS mode, you lose 1 2/3 stop of light at 1/250s and the situation only worsens if shooting at higher shutter speeds like 1/500, where you lose 2 2/3 stops of light. 
  • Recycling times are nothing to write home about at 12fps and 6fps, but you can shoot 3fps at the highest power of all strobes tested (matched with the Supe D-Pro, and 1/3 stop higher than the Marelux Apollo 3.) 

Overall, nice strobe for macro that can shoot wide angle in a pinch with the diffuser, but is much less bright than the INON s-220 and doesn't recycle as fast for 6fps or 12fps shooting.

image.png

image.png

image.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Regarding the usefulness of the Backscatter MF-1/2 strobes I agree they are great for macro but they also work very well for mid and wide range images. Since I don't shoot much with a fisheye although I have used the MF-1/2's with a fisheye they are very useful for lenses in the 18mm to 100mm range without using the diffusers. I don't see the need for the diffusers since the colors are great and the AOV is very usable. Perhaps we could get more images from these strobe comparisons in the field rather than charts and walls, after all that is really alll that matters.

Cave diver is at 20mm two MF-2 strobes at 4/5 setting, ISO 400 F/9, 1/160th sec.

Emperor Anglefish at 68mm, ISO-400, F/10, 1/250th sec.

Seaslug, detail 90mm macro, ISO-100, F/22, 1/250th and again I shoot in the 4 to 6 power level range.

No diffusers used for these images.

image.jpeg

DSC01739.jpg

DSC08335-Enhanced-NR.jpg

IMG_5053.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks Phil. I think there's a place for both quick-and-dirty land tests that are easily repeatable to isolate some characteristics of the gear and field tests to really understand what the implications of those characteristics are in terms of the results you can achieve. 

• Like 3

• Thanks for your support!!

Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.