Backscatter MF-2 in HSS mode

HSS does not have sync speed limitations, as the strobe flickers continuously at a high rate while the narrow slit between shutter blades passes across the frame, therefore you're only limited by your camera's mechanical shutter speed. For the A7RV, that's 1/8000s. However, HSS, when activated, significantly reduces the brightness of the strobe, and increasing the shutter speed progressively reduces it further. As I recall, with my Retra Pro strobes, I get a similar exposure with HSS at f/8 1/2000s as I do with normal sync at f/22 1/160s, both at max power.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Barmaglot said:

HSS does not have sync speed limitations, as the strobe flickers continuously at a high rate while the narrow slit between shutter blades passes across the frame, therefore you're only limited by your camera's mechanical shutter speed.

Good explanation!  Realistically, about 1/800 - 1/1000 or so for the HS-2, but you most likely wont need that fast.  The biggest benefit is to help tame a sun ball or use a wider aperture beyond the 1/160-250 normal limit.  1/640 or 1/800, or less, can normally do that very well.

• Like 2

So using a Sony A7RV and S-turtle 2 trigger, how do I set it up in HSS mode?

Balazs said no need to setup software.

But there is a B.Scatter MF-2 option that I cannot select for some reason.

19 hours ago, hedonist222 said:

HSS is often setup from the camera menus as the camera is the thing that needs to change sync timing.  It should be in the same place where you would select HSS with a land based flash.

On 7/19/2024 at 8:42 PM, hedonist222 said:

One must turn on wireless flash in the camera settings in order to use HSS with a Backscatter MF-2.

Sample: 

ISO 200, 1/500, f/6.3

Fujairah-4.jpg

• Thanks for your support!!

Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.