Pacific Electric Ray in Puget Sound

It's Six-Gill shark season in Puget Sound, and lots of divers hit the local shore dive "Redondo Beach" just south of Seattle for a rare glimpse of one. I went diving last night and found an even more rare and elusive creature, the Pacific Electric Ray. They are not generally seen in the PNW, so this was a real treat. These rays are documented to be about 4.6 feet (1.4m) long and this one was at least that if not a bit more. More impressively it was really thick, like a pitcher's mound.

[Nikon Z8 w/24-50mm, WWL-C, f7.1, 1/60s, iso500, Pair of Backscatter HF-1 strobes]

Pacific Electric Ray 1.jpg

Pacific Electric Ray 2.jpg

• Like 10

Nice work, a cool looking fish, i guess you didn't test out it's electric capabilities?  We have numb rays around Sydney which can deliver quite a jolt if you step on them, they bury in sand and can zap divers who accidentality touch them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chris Ross said:

Nice work, a cool looking fish, i guess you didn't test out it's electric capabilities?  We have numb rays around Sydney which can deliver quite a jolt if you step on them, they bury in sand and can zap divers who accidentality touch 

Do you have harmless animals in Australia? 😄

• Haha 4

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Chris Ross said:

Nice work, a cool looking fish, i guess you didn't test out it's electric capabilities?  We have numb rays around Sydney which can deliver quite a jolt if you step on them, they bury in sand and can zap divers who accidentality touch them.

I left that job to another guy. This ray was first seen a few days prior and the Diver touched it! Got shocked Real Good! More than once too. 

Edited by Dave_Hicks
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Thanks for your support

Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.