Problem with my Nauticam viewfinder

I have a problem with my Nauticam viewfinder "Nauticam full format angle viewfinder 40°/0.8:1 (SKU no. 32214)":

I am currently diving in Murter/Croatia. While I was putting on my diving gear on the dive boat, a high wave came and my setup (Sony A7R5 in Nauticam housing with WAPC-C (protection cap fortunately still on)) fell off the seat onto the floor. Everything seems to be fine, but in the viewfinder I can see a few droplets of a liquid (water?, oil?) even before submersion. So it's not water that comes in from outside through a leak. I think this droplets occured by the mecanical shock...

The droplets are an obstacle to viewing (it works, but I would like the viewfinder without the droplets). I did two dives back then. First up to 42 m, second up to 20 m, 1 hour each. The droplets are still the same...

Here a photo, how the droplets inside the viewfinder look like (difficult to get them in focus, as they are inside):

DSC04302.jpg

=> Did someone ever have a similar experience and knows what I can do to eliminate the droplets?

Thank you, Wolfgang

Edited by Architeuthis
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Architeuthis said:

I have a problem with my Nauticam viewfinder "Nauticam full format angle viewfinder 40°/0.8:1 (SKU no. 32214)":

I am currently diving in Murter/Croatia. While I was putting on my diving gear on the dive boat, a high wave came and my setup (Sony A7R5 in Nauticam housing with WAPC-C (protection cap fortunately still on)) fell off the seat onto the floor. Everything seems to be fine, but in the viewfinder I can see a few droplets of a liquid (water?, oil?) even before submersion. So it's not water that comes in from outside through a leak. I think this droplets occured by the mecanical shock...

The droplets are an obstacle to viewing (it works, but I would like the viewfinder without the droplets). I did two dives back then. First up to 42 m, second up to 20 m, 1 hour each. The droplets are still the same...

Here a photo, how the droplets inside the viewfinder look like (difficult to get them in focus, as they are inside):

DSC04302.jpg

=> Did someone ever have a similar experience and knows what I can do to eliminate the droplets?

Thank you, Wolfgang

Perhaps it is oil filled? Or some sort of lubricant or sealant on the interior became dislodged?

I think you are going to have to send it to Nauticam for service.

In the future leave cameras on the deck, perhaps in a cooler bag. It's the safest place for them.

• Like 1

I don't know how viewfinders are made but it seems logical that if the "droplets" arrived before submersion they could indicate the viewfinder is oil filled and the droplets are actually bubbles. If it is oil filled maybe the knock has caused a tiny bit to be lost or dislodged so there are now small bubbles on glass.

Maybe it is possible to get these to move off the glass possible by something like warming the viewfinder slightly such as putting it in the sun so the oil gets less viscous and the bubbles rise. 

• Like 1

Looks like it has flooded (they normally have air inside - who wants to try and compose a photo through oil!). I would not dive it like that. If you have the standard viewfinder or a friend has a spare viewfinder then use that. 

• Thanks 1

I'm thinking of boat compasses. These are filled with a transparent mineral oil and it is not unusual to get bubbles, especially with age. But a reason oil is used in that case is to dampen the motion of the compass card. I agree it would be odd to have oil in an optical instrument but the only potential reason I can think of would be to help make a complex shape pressure proof. 

Seems weird to get droplets in something before it goes in the water even if it has been knocked, unless as Dave wrote, some drops of liquid were already inside but not on glass and moved? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fruehaufsteher2 said:

There‘s one page from Nauticam that states, that with heavier impacts some drops might penetrate the o-rings: https://nauticamindonesia.com/nauticam-product-care-maintenance-tips.pdf

That’s why I‘m with Alex. 

Is it the "...Small floods have happened when people jump into the water from up high
with their gear, and the gear slams into the water...." point?

In my case the droplets showed up after a fall 40cm-50cm. The WACP-C part hit first the deck (I cannot remember that the viewfinder was hitting the ground). It was the first dive of the day, everything was dry and one wonders from where the water for the droplets came...

I did two dives today (43m and 28m, 1h each). The situation did not change, not even a little bit (and the vacuum was stable overnight). Very likely not a leak. As the situation is now, it is still better than the standard viewfinder, but maybe I will insert the standard viewfinder, just to be on the safe side...

I have contacted both Nauticam/Int. and Panocean and both say I have to send it in after I return. They do not see a way to repair it on-side here...

I thank all for their valuable comments and suggestions...👍

Wolfgang

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Alex_Mustard said:

Looks like it has flooded (they normally have air inside - who wants to try and compose a photo through oil!). I would not dive it like that. If you have the standard viewfinder or a friend has a spare viewfinder then use that. 

As always, you are the voice of reason...

I am here with Lisi, she has a Nauticam MFT housing with 45° viewfinder, but she would not give it to me, even if it would fit my housing (actually it does not)...:classic_laugh:

I will follow your advise and dismantle the problematic viewfinder to be an the safe side (but I really don't like this prospect)...

Wolfgang 

Edited by Architeuthis

• Thanks for your support

Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.