Transit time trough Singapore Airport (Changi)

canislupus

Next November we are going for a trip, the thing is that due to a modification of departure time I have only 2 hours and 10 minutes to make a transit in Changi.

I’m arriving to Terminal 2 and will have to clear immigration, collect luggage and arrive to the check-in counter in Terminal 3, one hour before departure. This let us only 1h10’ to make it.

I remember for another trip that the immigration clearance was quite fast but I’m unsure that I could make it on time.

In case anyone else has had such a tight transit any tip / trick or anything that could make me think is feasible would be appreciate it.

Cheers

• Like 1

If you can do it anywhere you can do it in Changi - if and this is the big if - your flight arrives on time. 

The best trick if transiting is to have both flights on the same itinerary, that way you can get the luggage transferred through to final destination. Having separate tickets means of course the airlines normally won't check it through.  Obviously too late in your situation but worth trying to achieve and even pay extra $$$ for IMO.

Luggage normally arrives fairly quickly in Changi - immigration can be the slow step but mostly OK.  You need to research to know exactly where to go with all your gear - as I recall there is a train between terminals.  They say an hour before departure to be at the gate, but if you get to the check in on time and they accept your luggage they should let you on board as they would need to delay to get your luggage off the plane if you don't board.

As you might know at Changi you clear immigration which is all automated these days then walk to the gate where you clear security if you are in the line to get inside the gate lounge you'll make your flight as the queues are not too bad as they are only screening your flight.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chris Ross said:

If you can do it anywhere you can do it in Changi - if and this is the big if - your flight arrives on time. 

The best trick if transiting is to have both flights on the same itinerary, that way you can get the luggage transferred through to final destination. Having separate tickets means of course the airlines normally won't check it through.  Obviously too late in your situation but worth trying to achieve and even pay extra $$$ for IMO.

Luggage normally arrives fairly quickly in Changi - immigration can be the slow step but mostly OK.  You need to research to know exactly where to go with all your gear - as I recall there is a train between terminals.  They say an hour before departure to be at the gate, but if you get to the check in on time and they accept your luggage they should let you on board as they would need to delay to get your luggage off the plane if you don't board.

As you might know at Changi you clear immigration which is all automated these days then walk to the gate where you clear security if you are in the line to get inside the gate lounge you'll make your flight as the queues are not too bad as they are only screening your flight.

Thank for the answer.

That makes me keep the faith.😅

Yes there is a train between terminals, that could take us 6-7 minutes. About immigration I will do the SG Arrival card online, that you could do 3 days before arriving there.

Our main problem, I think, will be arriving with the luggage on the check-in counter.

Next time, I think will follow your advice and take same itinerary, this time for saving some money we took different itinerary, but the level of stress I suspect don’t will be worth the money…

Yeah, as Chris says, having one ticket to check baggage from departure airport to final destination makes changes WAY easier.

Timing could be quite tight. Again, as Chris says, if you can do it anywhere, Changi is the place. An amazing airport. I'd be tempted to grab someone from customs service as soon as you can, be super nice and outline the tight connection. They may be able to assist in speeding you through and getting to the front off queues. If, on the other hand, they are relaxed about it... there's your cue!

• Like 1

Hi, I have used Changi airport dozens of times and I can say that it works better than a Swiss watch, so no worries if you first flight lands on time. As you said, fill up the arrival card online and you can directly go to pass immigration which is all automated and fast. The train between terminals is really quick passing every few minutes. You can also tell any flight attendant from your first flight about your rushed transfer and they might let you go first once you land. 

Good luck!

Thanks for the info.

Things are getting worst:

I have contacted the Airline, in this case Garuda, and has confirmed one thing I didn’t know about it, is that If you lose the first flight of the booking you cannot use any other flight although are from different dates… Mmm that is bad news. First I thought, well the worst that can happen is that I have to buy one more flight ,but is not the case If I don’t manage to do it on time I lose even the return flight… what a policy...🥵

I am considering delaying the flight to the next day, despite losing a day of diving.

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, canislupus said:

is that If you lose the first flight of the booking you cannot use any other flight although are from different dates

Yeah, that's pretty standard in the airline industry. 

Which carrier are you using to fly into Changi? Then you transfer to Garuda?

28 minutes ago, TimG said:

Yeah, that's pretty standard in the airline industry. 

Which carrier are you using to fly into Changi? Then you transfer to Garuda?

I use Lufthansa to arrive to Singapore and then Garuda.

unfortunately.. garuda is not one of the airlines that you can do early luggage check in.

i think your transit time is really tough even for Singapore Changi airport.  esp you are not in a SQ flight 🙂

some of the info on the sky train.  good luck... 

By Skytrain

Terminals 1, 2 and 3 are connected by complimentary Skytrain service in both the public and transit areas.

Operating hours: 0500hrs - 0200 hrs 

21 minutes ago, hellhole said:

unfortunately.. garuda is not one of the airlines that you can do early luggage check in.

i think your transit time is really tough even for Singapore Changi airport.  esp you are not in a SQ flight 🙂

some of the info on the sky train.  good luck... 

By Skytrain

Terminals 1, 2 and 3 are connected by complimentary Skytrain service in both the public and transit areas.

Operating hours: 0500hrs - 0200 hrs 

What I would need is late luggage check in instead 😁

Finally, for my own health I have changed the flights to a day later. I will have to visit Singapore for 1 day.

I still think would be feasible if my first flight is on time, and that is a big IF…😅

Thank you for your help and info.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Good move - while international Garuda flights are usually fine, it was really taking a big risk with luggage etc.

Singapore is a lovely - if a little pricey - place to spend a night, great food as well, I'm sure you'll get good suggestions here (I'm more of a gritty KL person 😅)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, canislupus said:

Finally, for my own health I have changed the flights to a day later. I will have to visit Singapore for 1 day.

I still think would be feasible if my first flight is on time, and that is a big IF…😅

Thank you for your help and info.

Cheers.

A day in Singapore is no hardship. If you like Indian food, go into the Indian part of town. Great eateries. 

• Like 2

On 9/5/2024 at 1:17 AM, canislupus said:

I use Lufthansa to arrive to Singapore and then Garuda.

For future reference you can get codeshare flights usually within the same airline alliance.  In this case Luthansa is Star alliance and Garuda is skyteam, so unlikely to get all the flights on one itinerary.  Flying from Europe KLM/Air France is Skyteam as is Garuda so you could try booking it through the either Garuda's website or Air France for example, how easy it will be depends upon the particular airlines website and which city in Indonesia you want to get to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, bghazzal said:

Good move - while international Garuda flights are usually fine, it was really taking a big risk with luggage etc.

Singapore is a lovely - if a little pricey - place to spend a night, great food as well, I'm sure you'll get good suggestions here (I'm more of a gritty KL person 😅)

Yes, I feel more relaxed now.

About the little pricey, I just noticed while looking for an hotel.😅

Thanks.

14 hours ago, TimG said:

A day in Singapore is no hardship. If you like Indian food, go into the Indian part of town. Great eateries. 

I’m sure it would be good experience. I think we are going to try to photographs some birds in any park. Maybe a little unconventional for Singapore, I guess.

Thank you for the info.

6 hours ago, Chris Ross said:

For future reference you can get codeshare flights usually within the same airline alliance.  In this case Luthansa is Star alliance and Garuda is skyteam, so unlikely to get all the flights on one itinerary.  Flying from Europe KLM/Air France is Skyteam as is Garuda so you could try booking it through the either Garuda's website or Air France for example, how easy it will be depends upon the particular airlines website and which city in Indonesia you want to get to.

I didn’t know that, lol.

I usually find a lot cheaper flights doing a stopover and change airline, but this time was too tight.

For future travels I will take in consideration your recommendation for the flights. I really helps to have only one ticket.

Thank for the help.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, canislupus said:

Yes, I feel more relaxed now.

About the little pricey, I just noticed while looking for an hotel.😅

Thanks.

I’m sure it would be good experience. I think we are going to try to photographs some birds in any park. Maybe a little unconventional for Singapore, I guess.

Thank you for the info.

I didn’t know that, lol.

I usually find a lot cheaper flights doing a stopover and change airline, but this time was too tight.

For future travels I will take in consideration your recommendation for the flights. I really helps to have only one ticket.

Thank for the help.

Just be careful buying off sites like kayak and other flight booking sites, they will sometimes sell you an itinerary made up of individual tickets and the airlines won't check you through with that.  The safest way remains to book a solid layover time.

If you want to photograph birds, the SIngapore botanical gardens can be good, you can get the MRT there.  The section with Heliconias attracts sunbirds.  This is Brown Throated Sunbird taken there:

Brown-Throated_sunbird_2.jpg

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Chris Ross said:

Just be careful buying off sites like kayak and other flight booking sites, they will sometimes sell you an itinerary made up of individual tickets and the airlines won't check you through with that.  The safest way remains to book a solid layover time.

If you want to photograph birds, the SIngapore botanical gardens can be good, you can get the MRT there.  The section with Heliconias attracts sunbirds.  This is Brown Throated Sunbird taken there:

Brown-Throated_sunbird_2.jpg

Wow!!!, very wonderful image.

Take note of the place and we are going for sure. 👍

Thank you!

@canislupus

As many others have said, Changi is a very efficient airport (potentially the most efficient in the world). I have made connections that tight before, however I've missed a connection at least once when I got caught up going through immigration behind a mass of tourists that got to immigration before I did (A330 from Delhi landed ~10 min before we did).

We almost always spend the night in Singapore. It helps with the timezone change, and food is excellent (as an aside: others have said it's expensive - it doesn't have to be - you can find lodging from 2-5 stars, depending on what you are looking for, public transportation is good, and food (at the hawker centers) can be quite cheap).

It's also worh noting that LH also has baggage transfer agreements with Garuda (via Singapore) and Cathay Pacific (via HK) so if you booked the flights on one ticket they would have handled the bags for you.

Last - I'm guessing you were trying to connect to the 19:00 Garuda flight (SIN-CGK), then potentially connecting to a late night/early morning flight to Sorong (or elsewhere). This is a very common itinerary. Although I've made that connection (->Sin->CGK->SOQ), it's much less stressful with a stop. 

Hi OneYellowTang,

You are right, we are taking this route Sin->CGK->SOQ, last week they change the flight time and now the departure is 30 minutes before the scheduled time.

The problem was that I did not book the flights in the same itinerary.

Thanks for the info 👍

Cheers.

Edited by canislupus

• Thanks for your support

Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.