Skip to content

RapidRAW

Featured Replies

Since I started dealing with RAW files I've been using DarkTable. Mainly because I refuse subscription services and don't use any sort of generative AI in my workflows as a ethical principle.

I've been overall satisfied with the images I've produced, the software is VERY powerful but equally difficult to learn. There are multiple ways to do most functions, different work flows and most importantly the masking is not remotely intuitive. It's probably just a little too technical for someone like me.

I think this is likely because the program has been a community project for years and like many such things there just isn't a cohesive vision driving it.

I have been researching RAW editors which are a bit of a fresher take, less aimed at experts and with more logical workflow. A number of people have been quite positive about RapidRAW, which is rolling out updates regularly.

I decided to give it a try and I'm impressed. 30 minutes into learning DarkTable and I had barely opened a file. 30 minutes into RapidRAW and I've edited pictures which I'd given up on.

The subject matter masking has been very successful with sharks, rays and divers even in lower contrast pictures. I have yet to give it a try with macro subjects but that is next.

The initial download is very small but then it'll do an internal download for the masking. I haven't been using it long enough to see how it handles updates and obviously just scratched the surface on everything there is to offer. I don't see going back to DarkTable.

https://www.getrapidraw.com/

Scuba.com
30 minutes ago, Grantmac said:

Since I started dealing with RAW files I've been using DarkTable. Mainly because I refuse subscription services and don't use any sort of generative AI in my workflows as a ethical principle.

I've been overall satisfied with the images I've produced, the software is VERY powerful but equally difficult to learn. There are multiple ways to do most functions, different work flows and most importantly the masking is not remotely intuitive. It's probably just a little too technical for someone like me.

I think this is likely because the program has been a community project for years and like many such things there just isn't a cohesive vision driving it.

I have been researching RAW editors which are a bit of a fresher take, less aimed at experts and with more logical workflow. A number of people have been quite positive about RapidRAW, which is rolling out updates regularly.

I decided to give it a try and I'm impressed. 30 minutes into learning DarkTable and I had barely opened a file. 30 minutes into RapidRAW and I've edited pictures which I'd given up on.

The subject matter masking has been very successful with sharks, rays and divers even in lower contrast pictures. I have yet to give it a try with macro subjects but that is next.

The initial download is very small but then it'll do an internal download for the masking. I haven't been using it long enough to see how it handles updates and obviously just scratched the surface on everything there is to offer. I don't see going back to DarkTable.

https://www.getrapidraw.com/

RapidRaw's webpage extolls it's AI based features, including AI Subject masking, object removal, and more.

1 hour ago, Grantmac said:

Since I started dealing with RAW files I've been using DarkTable. Mainly because I refuse subscription services and don't use any sort of generative AI in my workflows as a ethical principle.

Unfortunately, I think we tend to draw a very large box around the GenAI term and there's certainly workflow acceleration aspects without wholesale manipulation or creation of an image. Maybe it's just backscatter reduction, mask application, or other tasks that may not involve large changes.

  • Author
1 hour ago, Dave_Hicks said:

RapidRaw's webpage extolls it's AI based features, including AI Subject masking, object removal, and more.

It's in there, but a separate module which I haven't opened. I believe it runs locally rather than going to some sort of external data center, which is a significant component of my objection. I want to know my images aren't being passed through some sort of training program.

Subject masking is not something I consider generative. Neither would backscatter removal (in my mind).

Being able to recompose an image by adding, removing or reposing subjects is a different story. As is adding details which were not recorded as part of the initial imagine like we see with upscaling.

Edited by Grantmac

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.