Fibre Optic Cables? Make your own....

TimG

9 hours ago, TimG said:

Guys

Can I check who actually wants cable before getting rolling with this?

So far I have only heard from @Joerg Malke and @stiebs. No other takers???

I don't really need any myself so if there's only one person in the EU and one in Aus, then a bulk order becomes a bit pointless. No bulk, no order?

I'm also in for 12 m.

9 hours ago, TimG said:

Guys

Can I check who actually wants cable before getting rolling with this?

So far I have only heard from @Joerg Malke and @stiebs. No other takers???

I don't really need any myself so if there's only one person in the EU and one in Aus, then a bulk order becomes a bit pointless. No bulk, no order?

I'll jump in on the US side.

51 minutes ago, humu9679 said:

I'll jump in on the US side.

If you want cable and you're in the US, you can just order it directly. Easy-peasy. The problem is for folks on this side of the Atlantic where this cable just doesn't seem to be available. So a bulk order makes sense for them/us.

You can order here:

https://i-fiberoptics.com/fiber-detail-asahi.php?id=3360&sum=166

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fruehaufsteher2 said:

Hi Tim,

sitting here in Dharavandoo and just having killed another cable I changed my mind- I feel able to forward distribute as long as it is inside EU. 

Wow, the effects of a nice evening in Dharavandoo, eh? Good for you, mate. Enjoy! Bummer on those dead cables though. I hope you have spares.

Thanks on this. I'm just seeing if I can get this into the EU hand-carried. If not, I'll come back to you.

T

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TimG said:

If you want cable and you're in the US, you can just order it directly. Easy-peasy. The problem is for folks on this side of the Atlantic where this cable just doesn't seem to be available. So a bulk order makes sense for them/us.

You can order here:

https://i-fiberoptics.com/fiber-detail-asahi.php?id=3360&sum=166

Thanks @TimG I read through the whole thread and it sounds like @bvanant in the US will be ordering. I can back him up if you need. So, other than you and Bill I see that people who have expressed interest are (from UK/EU)
@Joerg Malke 

@makar0n 4-6m,
@Michael 12m,
@fruehaufsteher2 2-3m,
@Muellema 8-10m,

and (Australia) @stiebs

I can order for Stiebs and myself and ship to Oz, if Stiebs is up for that. And Bill can handle the UK/EU crowd. Let us know how much you actually want. USD 7.5/meter plus shipping.

Best,

Craig

4 hours ago, TimG said:

Also us folks this side of the Pacific 🙂

Which is rather silly if these cables are actually made in Japan 😕

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, humu9679 said:

I can order for Stiebs and myself and ship to Oz, if Stiebs is up for that. And Bill can handle the UK/EU crowd. Let us know how much you actually want. USD 7.5/meter plus shipping.

Best,

Craig

Thanks Craig. No sense in going unders, so I'll get 10m. Unlike the i-fibreoptics shipping calculator, the real cost of shippng 2m vs 10m is going to be negligible.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stiebs said:

Thanks Craig. No sense in going unders, so I'll get 10m. Unlike the i-fibreoptics shipping calculator, the real cost of shippng 2m vs 10m is going to be negligible.

Sounds good to me. I'll get on it and get back to you.

13 hours ago, TimG said:

Wow, the effects of a nice evening in Dharavandoo, eh? Good for you, mate. Enjoy! Bummer on those dead cables though. I hope you have spares.

Thanks on this. I'm just seeing if I can get this into the EU hand-carried. If not, I'll come back to you.

T

Exactly! Thanks for your efforts!!! 

On 8/22/2024 at 7:27 PM, TimG said:

I'm just seeing if I can get this into the EU hand-carried. If not, I'll come back to you.

Just as an update:

I've contacted my mate in the US to see if she could hand-carry the cable when we meet for the Red Sea trip. She can't let me know for the moment but we agreed she'd confirm one way or another by mid-Sept.

I've checked i-fibreoptics and they do have the 613 cable in stock and say they can ship with 24-48 hours of ordering. 

So far I have EU/UK requests from:

@Joerg Malke 4m to Germany

@makar0n 4-6m to Belgium

@Michael 12m to Germany

@CaolIla 10m to France

If I have missed anyone, please yell!

I'm leaving @stiebs and @humu9679 to order for themselves as including them in a bulk order doesn't make much sense. (But if you DO want including, just say!

If folks don't want to wait to see if my mate can help out as delivery-girl, @fruehaufsteher2 has also kindly offered to act as postbox. Costs would be subject to German import duties/taxes and higher shipping fees. 

A couple of folks have said they'd like cable depending on the price. As I hope folks can understand, that's a very difficult thing to pin down. The cable costs $7.50 a metre plus shipping. If my mate in the US can deliver to me in the Red Sea, then mail costs from me to EU "clients" will be minimal. A couple of Euros. So maybe around $9-$10 a metre in total.

But if it needs to be mailed from the US to the EU and then packaged and shipped onwards, then costs may double with duties/taxes etc.

I can only assure folks that, same as the last time we did this, I would only pass on the actual costs involved and will happily produce a breakdown. This is not  profit-making venture! I'm sure @fruehaufsteher2 would take the same approach.

What I do ask though, please, is that if you say you want x metres, then you are committed. I don't actually need cable so don't want to end up with loads of it should anyone decide because of price or whatever, they no longer want it.......

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, TimG said:

(...)

I’ve organised a Red Sea dive trip for October on which a number of US residents are joining. Hmmm….. wonder if I could ask one of them to bring it in their baggage. Weighs nothing…….  I’ll explore. 
(...)

I've contacted my mate in the US to see if she could hand-carry the cable when we meet for the Red Sea trip. She can't let me know for the moment but we agreed she'd confirm one way or another by mid-Sept.

(...)

I think this is THE idea right there 😉

Last time had a colleague bringing 30m over in total, it was a really tiny plastic bag, maybe 25cm x 25cm ...as long as packed into something and ideally any invoices etc are removed, then that would work very well. Won't take much space and it is quite light.

Happy to wait till September, no rush here.

Edited by makar0n
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, TimG said:

So far I have EU/UK requests from:

@Joerg Malke 4m to Germany

@makar0n 4-6m to Belgium

@Michael 12m to Germany

@CaolIla 10m to France

If I have missed anyone, please yell!

I'm leaving @stiebs and @humu9679 to order for themselves as including them in a bulk order doesn't make much sense. (But if you DO want including, just say!

If folks don't want to wait to see if my mate can help out as delivery-girl, @fruehaufsteher2 has also kindly offered to act as postbox. Costs would be subject to German import duties/taxes and higher shipping fees. 

[….]

This is not  profit-making venture! I'm sure @fruehaufsteher2 would take the same approach.

The 3m I need for myself seems to be missing… 🫣

And absolutely of course I‘d take the same approach. This is to help each other, not to make money! 

• Like 2

Just let me know and 1 or 2 addresses to ship to. Last time I did this a guy ordered 10m. To me in LA it was $75 + 7 shipping. Adding a $9 shipping to Europe it came out to $9 per meter. Remember that the $7.50 per meter does not include their shipping to me, it is a bit more. 

Bill

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ratfish said:

If it is not too late I would get 12m. I am in Australia.

Thanks - Jon

Jon - I just placed an order. I can place another order. PM me your address and contact info.

On 8/24/2024 at 10:45 AM, ratfish said:

If it is not too late I would get 12m. I am in Australia.

Thanks - Jon

On 8/24/2024 at 3:13 PM, humu9679 said:

Jon - I just placed an order. I can place another order. PM me your address and contact info.

It might be cheaper to double ship. If you're happy waiting an extra couple of days @ratfish, I'm happy to relay your order on you via domestic post to avoid @humu9679 shipping two international packages.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2024 at 8:38 AM, TimG said:

Apologies!

My mate in NYC confirms she can bring the cable to the Red Sea. 

Baring any last minute changes, I’ll place the order on Sunday at 4pm Netherlands time. If you’re content with the quantities listed above, no need to respond. If snyone asked for an approximate amount, I’ll go with the larger figure. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/25/2024 at 4:47 AM, stiebs said:

It might be cheaper to double ship. If you're happy waiting an extra couple of days @ratfish, I'm happy to relay your order on you via domestic post to avoid @humu9679 shipping two international packages.

When my two orders arrive, I'll dispatch them to you @stiebs and if you'll kindly pass on the rest of the order I would be much obliged.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, humu9679 said:

When my two orders arrive, I'll dispatch them to you @stiebs and if you'll kindly pass on the rest of the order I would be much obliged.

Okily Dokily

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Muellema said:

Hi Tim,

would like to join with 6m. Please contact before shipping since I`m diving Indonesia October + November for 2 month and nobody can receive parcels back home.

Br Markus

No problem. Will do.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.