Weedy Sea Dragon

The Weedy Sea Dragon is one of the iconic species on divesites in SE Australia, they are quite big animals, around 350-400mm long or so and are really a bit too big for my Oly 60mm macro lens, I was about 1m back for this shot, which is a lot if the visibility is not great.  So this is more of a snapshot, taken with quite low strobe power and a bit of cloning of backscatter. 

This one is a male carrying quite fresh eggs, it was just hanging in a clearing between kelp stands.

Weedy_Sea_Dragon_50.jpg

• Like 10

Great pic Chris. I love weedies! There's a site down here in Melbourne (Flinders Pier) which is well regarded for its abundance of them! I can attest to the difficulty on any given day deciding whether to go for the dome or the macro!

DSCF1982.jpg

• Like 1

Great  colours Chris,  I never knew they  were so big.  I'd love to have a go at these if I ever get back down under again ( I  love Australia!)

The eggs really add an extra point of interest, I just  wish  the head  wasn't tilted downwards

Mike

7 hours ago, Pooley said:

Great  colours Chris,  I never knew they  were so big.  I'd love to have a go at these if I ever get back down under again ( I  love Australia!)

The eggs really add an extra point of interest, I just  wish  the head  wasn't tilted downwards

Mike

The steps divesite where I took this is basically my local divesite and is arguably one of the best spots to find these animals.  So if you get to Australia let me know, I'm sure I could find you one - Weather and swells permitting of course!  

• 6 months later...

greetings...

Plan on take a trip to australia and thinking of getting to finders pier for these beautiful animals...  is october a good time to find these weedy?  are there sighting of leafy as well at finders pier? 

On 7/23/2024 at 3:17 PM, hellhole said:

greetings...

Plan on take a trip to australia and thinking of getting to finders pier for these beautiful animals...  is october a good time to find these weedy?  are there sighting of leafy as well at finders pier? 

I've never dived Flinder's Pier, The image I posted is from Kurnell in Sydney.  They are not really all that seasonal, in my experience.  The image posted was taken in December.

I note that you are from Singapore, so you might not be used to cold water diving.  The average water temperature in October at Flinders is reported to be 14°C so a bit chilly, particularly if you are not used to it.  Kurnell at this time of year will likely be warmer - something around 16-17°, but it is quite variable.  The difference between 14 and 17°C is significant in that you will really notice the difference!  You would need a minimum good quality 7mm wetsuit - the rental suits at least those they rent around Sydney are often in average shape.  Plus gloves and hood or hooded vest.

Regarding Leafies, they are not generally found in Port Philip Bay, best spot is Rapid Bay Jetty south of Adelaide.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, hellhole said:

thanks for the reply... rapid bay seems like a good place to see these animals...

Yes Rapid Bay is good for Leafy Sea dragons, however weedy sea dragons are not common there.  The water there is also cold in October.

4 hours ago, Kraken de Mabini said:

Nice chiaroscuro contrast.  Was this foto taken with natural light or did you use a strobe?

It's strobe lit, they match the kelp really well without strobe lighting, the Sydney ones are particularly colourful.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Thanks for your support!!

Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.