TTL/HSS, capable optical flash trigger for Nauticam Canon R5C / R6 Mk II w/ ONE UW 160 & Marelux Apollo Strobes

I am in the market for a new flash trigger. He needs to be able to support HSS and TTL functionality. The strobes will be used with includes the Retra Pro, Backscatter MF-2, ONE UW 160 and new Marelux Apollo 3 strobes.

So basically, I’d like a model that can:

(1) support TTL, HSS functionality over optical sync with all 4 of those strobes (last 3 being most important)

(2) work with Canon R mirrorless cameras

(3) Fit inside the Nauticam housing for the R5C and R6 Mark II

(4) As a bonus, potentially work with the Nauticam S6 bulkhead for electrical sync for TTL/HSS with the ONE UW 160 strobes.

My understanding from ONE UW is that the UW Technics flash trigger doesn’t work in HSS mode with their strobes over optical sync. Which I guess would leave the Turtle trigger as the only option that does all the above?

Can anyone confirm if the Turtle trigger works with the Backscatter MF-2 or the new Marelux Apollo 3 strobes?

Also, I’m confused by all the different models of the Turtle trigger. What’s the difference between the e-Turtle Smart, e-Turtle Smart Mobie and Smart 2?

• 3 weeks later...

Do you have 2 different housings (NA-R5C and NA-R6II)?  If you think to reinstall the TTL Converter from one housing to another and back for many times, it will have a very short life. You have to install appropriate TTL Converter in each housing.

Edited by Pavel Kolpakov

On 2/17/2024 at 8:53 AM, DreiFish said:

My understanding from ONE UW is that the UW Technics flash trigger doesn’t work in HSS mode with their strobes over optical sync.

Did anybody test ONE UW 160 strobe in HSS by optics? By the way, all other HSS-strobes work normally in HSS mode with UWTechnics triggers. Why do this strobe model would not work? I have doubts in this. Please tell me some details and where the information comes from.

Edited by Pavel Kolpakov

Hey Pavel,

Yes, I have two different housings. Plan is not to swap the TTL converter from one house to another, but rather to buy 2 of them, one for each housing.

Re ONE UW 160, I have an email from Luca Carraro (ONEUW owner I presume) saying the TTL (and presumably HSS functionality)  works primarily over electrical sync cable, but also works with optical sync with a special model of TRT trigger. Luca indicated it hadn't yet been profiled for UWT (whatever this means) I haven't tested it personally, so perhaps it works anyway with the standard UWT trigger. Email from Luca reproduced below:

On ONE160x, in addition to the connection by synchro cables it's available the one by optical fiber cables.

To shots in s-TTL mode, digital camera and strobe must be interfaced by an optical TTL-trigger dedicated to the ONE160x unit.

This device has the function of converting the information received from the camera into optical pulses, which they will be decoded by the strobe CPU to managing the monitoring pre-flashes and and the final exposure flash.

The exposure may be correct only if the optical pulses which the strobe received are correctly calibrated according to the unit technical specification.

TRT has profiled our strobe and it has released a dedicated converter - Olympus, Panasonic, Nikon, Sony camera line are compatible with ONE160x.

UW-Technics didn't yet profile our strobe - you can’t use your converter in TTL mode, only manual.

On 3/7/2024 at 12:42 PM, DreiFish said:

Luca indicated it hadn't yet been profiled for UWT (whatever this means) I haven't tested it personally, so perhaps it works anyway with the standard UWT trigger. Email from Luca reproduced below:

Thank you for the information.

As i see in the email, he simply has no information about UWT triggers compatibility, because he did not test.

My thought, they are compatible. If i have a chance, i will test and publish this information.

• Like 1

I've upgraded my oneuw strobes a few months ago in order to have HSS. It is only possible through electric cables (was confirmed by Luca, who mentioned having no intention to develop an optical solution).

• Like 1

On 3/10/2024 at 4:03 PM, Raph said:

I've upgraded my oneuw strobes a few months ago in order to have HSS. It is only possible through electric cables (was confirmed by Luca, who mentioned having no intention to develop an optical solution).

So, as i understand, the ONE UW-160 strobe does not have HSS synchronization by optical input, but only electrical. Then, there is no subject for the discussion about its optical sync.

Edited by Pavel Kolpakov

• Thanks for your support!!

Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.