Jump to content

Canon RF5.2mm F2.8 L Dual Fisheye (for VR)


Recommended Posts

Has anyone tried this lens underwater? Would it work with a normal dome port, say, like the Nauticam 140mm or 230mm dome port? Or do you need some sort of specialized dual-dome solution in order to get true 3d pictures/video?

 

https://www.usa.canon.com/shop/p/rf5-2mm-f2-8-l-dual-fisheye?color=Black&type=New

 

With the new Apple Vision Pro out, I'm kinda curious to try producing some 3d content for it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would expect you would need a custom dual dome for it.  It is also 121 mm wide so no way it would fit through the dome port opening of an N120 port.   You would need to mount a dome base first install the lens and then place the dome itself on top, so you would need an o-ring joint at the base of the dome element. 

 

I don't know if I can explain it optically but the dome relies upon symmetry to render everything the same across the frame having a single dome would no longer be symmetrical for each individual lens as the left side of one of the lenses would be a different distance and angle from dome surface compared to the right hand side of the lens.   Basically this is because the entrance pupil of either of the offset lenses won't be at the centre of curvature of a single dome.  This would mean I think the images are not identical but would be flipped with respect to each other.

 

I would imagine that the 3D system relies upon the image from each lens being identical apart from the perspective change.   It would need I think two domes at 60mm centres placed over the lenses, so they could at most be 60mm diameter.  The minimum focus distance would be about about 125mm from the lenses so probably could not focus particularly close due to the very small domes.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Sexton Corporation built a port for this to work on the Red Raptor housing.  There was a facebook post about it (not sure if its cool to post it here but if you FB and look up Sexton Corporation - you will see it from January of this year).  Apparently works awesome even though the individual domes are wee small.

 

I want one too 🙂  And Sexton are amazing to work with. So maybe we will see more in the future with this lens.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, ColdDarkDiver said:

The Sexton Corporation built a port for this to work on the Red Raptor housing.  There was a facebook post about it (not sure if its cool to post it here but if you FB and look up Sexton Corporation - you will see it from January of this year).  Apparently works awesome even though the individual domes are wee small.

 

I want one too 🙂  And Sexton are amazing to work with. So maybe we will see more in the future with this lens.

 

 

This would be the post, looks like it needs the big port opening of the GAtes housing to fit it in:

https://www.facebook.com/thesextonco/posts/pfbid02L4JMoMUUndAhqgVtqoUYWTF6oZ5PMFvfa2VvBce3Ed3Rp1Fd9gB3veDQ4UhmPkCkl

 

And this appears to be the lens with a custom housing for an R5C?

 

817991040115612?ref=embed_posthttps://www.facebook.com/thesextonco/posts/817991040115612?ref=embed_post

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Chris Ross said:

This would be the post, looks like it needs the big port opening of the GAtes housing to fit it in:

https://www.facebook.com/thesextonco/posts/pfbid02L4JMoMUUndAhqgVtqoUYWTF6oZ5PMFvfa2VvBce3Ed3Rp1Fd9gB3veDQ4UhmPkCkl

 

And this appears to be the lens with a custom housing for an R5C?

 

817991040115612?ref=embed_posthttps://www.facebook.com/thesextonco/posts/817991040115612?ref=embed_post

The lens itself is 121mm wide so wouldn't fit in a normal port (including the base) for Nauticam housings even if you attached the lens from the front.  Plus it is so short it might not even clear the front of the housing. Unless I am wrong (in case anyone has the lens on hand to try it).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, ColdDarkDiver said:

The lens itself is 121mm wide so wouldn't fit in a normal port (including the base) for Nauticam housings even if you attached the lens from the front.  Plus it is so short it might not even clear the front of the housing. Unless I am wrong (in case anyone has the lens on hand to try it).

yes, correct, it requires a custom port solution, probably effectively a custom port and housing, though the big opening on the gates housing seems to allow just using a custom port cover with two mini domes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Thanks For Your Support

    backscatter_block.gif Fotosubshop_Logo_Longnew.png
    isotta_logo.png INONlogo_Waterpixel.jpg
    marelux.gif nauticam_WPX.jpg
    RPV Banner.png Retra2.png
    SeaandSeaLogo.png turtlelogo.png
    image001.png image.png

    image.png
    XRAY Magazine

     

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.