Using Sony Lenses on Nikon Z Cameras

Friends: As you know, those of us shooting Nikon Z cameras have an incentive to use certain Sony lenses on our Nikon cameras, especially when paired with Nauticam water contact optics.

For example, if you check the Nauticam port charts, it's clear that the Sony FE 28-70mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS lens works well on Nikon Z cameras with the WACP-1. Many Nikon zoom lenses are not useable through their full zoom range behind the WACP-1, but the Sony lens doesn't have that limitation, hence its popularity.

Having updated my Nikon Z8 to firmware version 2.0 last week, I was curious which of the Sony E-to-Nikon Z autofocus adapters on the market would work. Turns out only one of them functioned for me.

First, I tried the Techart Pro TZE-02 adapter, which consistently returned error messages. I attempted to upgrade the adapter's firmware, but that didn't help, so I returned the adapter.

Next, I tried the Megadap ETZ-21 adapter, which didn't work, either. I couldn't even download the firmware update from the Megadap website for that one, so I returned it, too.

Finally, before giving in to despair, I ordered the latest Megadap ETZ-21 Pro adapter, which was reported to work well. When it arrived, I vowed that if it didn't work, I'd simply have to stick to using Nikkor Z or F lenses on my upcoming trip to Raja Ampat.

Surprisingly, the Megadap ETZ-21 Pro worked well from the outset! I had expected it to prompt an error message as well, since Nikon firmware 2.0 is so new and none of the adapter manufacturers have had time to update their own firmware to match. So I was pleasantly surprised that the Megadap ETZ-21 Pro worked fine on my camera. I guess I'll be taking that Sony lens to Indonesia after all!

Edited by ridgebackpilot
  • Like 1

I had the older Techart TZE-01 adapter that used to work OK with the Sony FE 28-70mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS on my Z7 camera but then after a period of disuse it became non-functional.

Like you, I now have the Megadap ETZ-21 Pro and it works well with the Sony FE 28-70mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS and other Sony lenses on my Z8 with both original and 2.0 firmware. I fancy it is a bit quicker and more sure-footed than the old Techart one was before it apparently broke.

I plan to have the option of using either the native Nikon Z 24-50 f4-6.3 with 28-50 limiter ring (to avoid image vignetting below 28mm) or the Sony FE 28-70mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS should extra reach be helpful. Although the newer Sony FE 28-60mm F/4-5.6 is not listed on Nauticam's WACP-1 port chart, I imagine it would also work in this application and possibly have slightly better image quality. I would expect the most modern native Z option to deliver the best image quality of these options behind the WACP-1 but the IQ differences may not be great.
The old DSLR favourite Nikon AF 28-70 f3.5-4.5D is a screw-drive lens that won't autofocus on Nikon Z cameras.

As far as I know, none of the Nikon Z/WACP-1 options allow a greater field of view greater than 130 degrees (28mm lens) so it is just extra reach that one of the Sony zoom lens options would offer.

• Like 1

Regarding using the Sony FE 28-60mm with WACP-1 the issue is that the lens fully extended is about 15mm shorter than the 28-70mm. With 28-70 Nauticam recommended the N120 20 II extension. On N120 you would in theory be left needing a 5mm extension. 

With WACP-C you have the same issue with 15mm of extension for the 28-70mm.

Another option because it is longer could be the Tamron 17-50mm F/4. I have used this lens in a Marelux A7R V housing with the WACP-C using 77mm of extension (the Nauticam N100 to Marelux adapter is 17mm and allows direct mount of the 28-60) With the Tamron I can zoom from 27mm to 50mm without vignetting. So a bit wider than 130 degrees to around 87ish degrees. 

• Like 2

Thanks, @MarkRD and @Phil Rudin

I have to admit I wondered why the newer Sony 28-60mm lens wasn’t listed on the WACP-1 chart. 

I leave for Raja Ampat next week and will be taking the following lenses for use with my WWL-C and WACP-1: Nikon Z 24-50mm; Nikon Z 35mm Prime; Nikon Z 105mm Macro; and Sony FE 28-70mm. (Of course only the first lens will work with the WWL-C). 

I imagine the Nikon Z 24-50mm will get the most use, but we’ll see! 

• Thanks for your support!!

Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.