Skip to content

Member Introductions / Archived topic

Member Introductions

Started by james ·

  • 3711Posts
  • 3711Replies

Read-only discussion

Member Introductions

3711 posts
  1. Greetings from St Andrews, Scotland. I'm currently studying for a masters in Marine Mammal Science and started diving age 12 (11 years and still comfortably obsessed!). I was lucky enough to get hold of an Ikelite housing and DS-125 strobe for my Nikon D70 when a diving colleague upgraded. Unfortunately i've since been unable to afford anything more than the 18-70mm kit lens but hopefully that'll change once I escape the poverty of studentship!

     

     

    Do you know anything about the Duke Marine Lab in Bermuda? My girlfriend is interested in studying marine biology there and I was wondering if you know how reputable it is internationally or anyone that has studied there.

  2. hey there, im 22 and from australia and have been taking underwater photos for around 6 years starting with a $50 MX-5 to an olympus c8080 and now i use a nikon d90.

     

    I work on a yacht so my latest photos are from the Carribean .

     

    you can see some of my work here http://www.leighdunne.com

     

     

    let me know what you think!

  3. I am new to wetpixel and would like to introduce myself.

     

    I'm an avid snorkeler and certified diver who loves to travel. Exotic dive and snorkel destinations are my passion. I began photographing sea life about 3 years ago, and I have quickly become addicted.

     

    I've joined wetpixel so I can learn from the best. The members here seem to be very helpful, and I look forward to becoming part of the community.

  4. Hi from the Baltimore, MD, USA area!

     

    I joined WetPixel a while back but haven't really gotten serious about diving and photography until recently.

     

    I'm almost up to 100 dives and thousands of very mediocre uw photos. I think I've maxed out my powershot/canon housing/no strobe setup and I'm looking to go to the next level. So I'll be doing lots of reading and research.

     

    Here is the gallery from my latest trip in June to Cozumel:

     

    https://jshare.johnshopkins.edu/mcole2/publ...coz.2011/album/

  5. Hello all,

     

    I'm an UK diver, been interested in photography for a while and finally bought my first UW camera system (S95 with Ikelite housing) less than a year ago. Unfortunately I just had an issue with it and lost a camera to flooding... :dance: Now I'm feeling a bit scared of it happening again, and a friend recommended I join this forum to get some help!

     

    Cheers

    Elena

  6. Hi, I have been dabbling in underwater photography for a couple of years with a compact and after attending a photography course have decided to take it more seriously and move to an SLR. Which has opened up a whole new world of kit, accessories, techniques etc. A daunting prospect.

     

    However, I was advised to join Webpixel as a way to help with the transition process and to hopefully learn some techniques and pick up some useful information.

     

    Looking forward to being a part of Webpixel.

  7. Hullo. Name is Courtney. Spent a year or so as an underwater photographer in Grand Cayman. Now I'm planning to move back to the Caribbean and am looking for new gear!

  8. Hi All,

     

    Names Andrew. Just stopped in to introduce myself. 28 years old, live in Illinois. Spent two years living in The Commonwealth of Dominica. (southern Caribbean). While there I did a Divemaster internship at Cabrits Dive Centre. During the last little bit there, I decided to upgrade my crappy camera and get a good one. Seeing that I couldn't afford to house my Rebel XTI, I started to look for the best point and shoot setup I could find. I bought the Canon G9 with the Patima housing and the YS110 strobe. All in all I spent a little over $2500 for the whole package including an awesome Pelican 1600 to hold it all. Got back to Dominica, used it once when tagging along on a Discover scuba dive in about 8 ft of water. Took a couple videos and some awesome photos.

     

    After that I found out my wife was pregnant so life got crazy and I never got to get it wet again. The G9 was used on land while in Dominica and also after returning to the US. It is an amazing camera and I will be sad to see it go, but I have to sell it all. I have followed this website quite a bit for tips and also used it to make my decision on the G9. Figured I would list it on here and see what happens. I will make a post over in the classifieds.

     

    Glad to finally join, but sad to be selling my camera. Maybe someday soon I will get wet again. That pregnancy led to twin boys that are now two years old. Haven't been diving since before they were born, but it's been the best two years of my life! I can't wait to share the underwater experience with them someday. They are already little fish! Untill then, I need the money to buy them the things they need.

     

    Thanks for listening to my story :-)

     

    Peace and Love

  9. Hi, my name is Stewart.

     

    I'm British but currently live in Dubai. Spend most of my freetime getting wet in Oman (Musandam, Daymaniyat Islands) or off the East Coast of the UAE.

     

    Been taking moist shots for about 8 years, and am currently using a Oly E-520. Recently went to Lembeh (KBR) and am eager to learn about going Super Macro.

     

    A few examples of my mediocre efforts are contained on the following links.

     

    Lembeh Album

     

    Bunaken

     

    Musandam 2011

  10. hi i'm nick and i'v traveling for two years around southeast asia . i've been use the gf1/14-45 with recsea housing with sea and sea ys-01

    and it's been a headache and bit random underwater i hope wetpixel can help

     

    nick

  11. Hello everyone,

    I'm Max from France. PADI instructor and Apple Certified Trainer on Final Cut Pro 7. I have been diving almost non stop for more than a year and a half in south was asia. DMT in Malaysia, working as a DM and IDC in Bali then Instructor and mostly videographer in Thailand making souvenir DVD.

    I'm back in my country and just finished amazing dives in the Mediterranean on world class WWII submarine wreck.

    I own an EOS 550D, Tokina 11-16mm Wide angle, 50mm with macro adapter, Ikelite Housing. Pro-2800 Lumen and 8" modular dome to come....

    Edited by max_oo
  12. Jon Nash from the UK checking in and looking for a underwater housing for a 5DMK II to rent before mine arrives. Any one local to Brightonish that can hep out for a sailing shoot on Tuesday ?

  13. Hi all, Tim from Dorset. I'm afraid diving isn't my thing ( I can sense this might cause trouble!!) but I'm about to go snorkelling with Humpbacks off Silver Bank and would appreciate some advice from the experts on this here.

    I'm expecting to buy some new kit as I really don't want to get a housing for my 7D - so I'm leaning towards M4/3rds, although a G11/12 in a Canon housing is a possibility. I'm thinking one of the Olympus Pens plus Oly housing. I don't understand the 'dome' aspect. I'm thinking that for Humpbacks I'm gonna need a decent wide angle. Thanks in advance everyone.

     

    Tim

  14. Greetings all, I'm Ardi from Bali, just started diving 2 years back, and shoot some pictures using a pocket camera. Now I'm upgrading my system to G12-Ikelite-Z240, looking forward to dig some info around this forum. :B):

     

    Cheers.

  15. Hi all :)

    I'm a photographer from South Florida.. Mostly fine-art work.. Been doing UW shoots for a couple years and this site has always been my go-to resource... looking to take my work to the next level.. so here I am.

    Zac

  16. Hi.

     

    I am Russell from Philadelphia PA. Just had two dive trips where I was unable to bring my camera due to a faulty strobe :-(. Unfortunately Ikelite did not want to repair due to age, and i am not in the posistion to upgrade right now.

     

    I have a trip coming up in a month so i hope to be able to service the strobe myself, with help from you all!

     

    Thanks!

  17. Hi all,

    I'm François from France.

    I started UW photography around 4 years ago with a small minolta compact camera.

    Enjoyed visiting wetpixel since a while.

     

    Now using a panasonic GF1 µfour/third camera with a leica 45mm macro lens.

    I just come back from a trip in Indonesia, being able to shoot wonderful critters in Lembeh and Bunaken :)

     

    Thanks

  18. Hello,

    I'm from NJ and own a dive shop here. I have been shooting a g10 but recently upgraded to a 5d mark2. I have been bouncing around this site for a while now and figured I'd join in the dialog. Happy to e here.

  19. Hi, my name is Michael, and although I have been taking snapshots underwater for several years, I have now purchased a more sophistacated setup, as I am diving again after a 26+ year rest! All my previous experience was during my snorkelling years, but last year I passed my SCUBA medical for the first time since I had to give up diving!

  20. Hi!

     

    Im still a novice at this photography thing really, but Im learning fast and getting better every day!

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.