Why is incorporation of an external battery is not part of standard underwater housing design?

I use a Sony A6400 mainly for videography. It has a relatively small battery, so practically I have to change battery after each dive. Above water it's not a big deal to swap batteries, but on a small boat between dives it's PITA. Most of modern cameras can use USB power with an attached external battery with larger capacity.

Unfortunately I have no space in my underwater housing to squeeze any external power bank. I was just wondering why is this not the standard in underwater housing design. It would be huge advantage for underwater videographers but it would be welcomed by photographers as well.

What do you think?

• Like 2

Nauticam used to offer it as an option for some cameras, but they discontinued it - maybe there wasn't enough demand, or maybe a supply chain issue. If you're using a Nauticam housing for your a6400, you might be able to find one of those power packs on the used market.

Battery life is often an underestimated parameter.
Nauticam has made housings with the housing for a battery pack where the problem was known or even a feature. 
I remember the housings for the Black magic Pocket Cinema Camera had the space for it.
Even now for a consumer monster like the Canon R5C, the housing comes with a built-in slot. The camera only films 8K with the external battery and even in 4K, depending on the codec used, the internal battery only lasts 15 minutes.

In your case you could find a DIY solution using the monitor's M16 port and an external waterproof case. But the whole thing becomes more cumbersome.

R5C

R5C

Hello everyone,

I also had the problem with too little battery power a few years ago with the Sony A7II series. This annoyed me so much at the time that I built an underwater power supply myself. The whole thing consisted of S6 flash sockets, an old S6 flash cable, and an old diving lamp. The lamp body served as a housing for a USB power pack and also carried my dive computer.

I was also able to transfer the images to the computer or an iPad during two dives via the S6 socket and charge the battery without losing the vacuum in the housing. Everything was completely sealed.

I even made a few different versions of the “Surface Interval Cable” for the Sony A7 series and RX100 housings, some of which are still in use today. Partly just to charge the camera between two dives, i.e. only with power and partly with power and data.

With newer cameras and USB-C, such a part would be relatively simple and easy to build.

Greetings from Lake Constance,
Tino

2016-07-28_17h-48m-11s-by-Tino-Dietsche.jpg

on land

2019-03-29_16h-08m-37s-by-Tino-Dietsche.jpg

In the water with the "Underwater-Powerback"

• Like 2

Nauticam recently introduced a very helpful accessory. The USB-C camera-housing connector.

This should help charge the camera even on a small boat with a correct power bank and also download photos directly from the camera without eliminating the housing vacuum.

This should be very convenient to those with battery life issues.

https://www.nauticam.com/products/nauticam-usb-c-bulkhead-with-usb-c-connector

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Tino Dietsche said:

Hello everyone,

I also had the problem with too little battery power a few years ago with the Sony A7II series. This annoyed me so much at the time that I built an underwater power supply myself. The whole thing consisted of S6 flash sockets, an old S6 flash cable, and an old diving lamp. The lamp body served as a housing for a USB power pack and also carried my dive computer.

I was also able to transfer the images to the computer or an iPad during two dives via the S6 socket and charge the battery without losing the vacuum in the housing. Everything was completely sealed.

I even made a few different versions of the “Surface Interval Cable” for the Sony A7 series and RX100 housings, some of which are still in use today. Partly just to charge the camera between two dives, i.e. only with power and partly with power and data.

With newer cameras and USB-C, such a part would be relatively simple and easy to build.

In the water with the "Underwater-Powerback"

Hi Tino - and wow!
I'm very interested in this underwater-powerpack, as battery life is not good on my compact (LX10), with which I shoot video - the camera can work powered by a slave battery, but there's no room in the housing.

Did you make this work with the RX100 Nauticam housing? if so, how did you get the cable in?
I only have on bulkhead port used for the vaccum valve, but do not use any flash - no idea how these ports work however.

If you have the time, a little photo write-up in the DIY section would be great.

Cheers

ben

Edited by bghazzal

There are few exceptions, but in my opinion, it could be a standard. The extra space requires some new designs but it would be not that much extra cost (you may correct me, I have no experience in UW housing production) and the extra power banks are also not that expensive (and can be used also above water). I like Tino's DIY solution, but it's too complicated for most, and a correct housing design would make it unnecessary.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, bghazzal said:

Hi Tino - and wow!
I'm very interested in this underwater-powerpack, as battery life is not good on my compact (LX10), with which I shoot video - the camera can work powered by a slave battery, but there's no room in the housing.

Did you make this work with the RX100 Nauticam housing? if so, how did you get the cable in?
I only have on bulkhead port used for the vaccum valve, but do not use any flash - no idea how these ports work however.

I did the whole thing for various Nauticam housings. RX100III, RX100IV, RX100V, Sony A7II series. It was always important to have a free M16 or M14 hole on the housing. Access to the housing is via a converted N6 flash socket.

I would be  look for a few pictures in the archive and possibly make a post in the DIY section.

2 hours ago, Nikolausz said:

There are few exceptions, but in my opinion, it could be a standard. The extra space requires some new designs but it would be not that much extra cost (you may correct me, I have no experience in UW housing production) and the extra power banks are also not that expensive (and can be used also above water). I like Tino's DIY solution, but it's too complicated for most, and a correct housing design would make it unnecessary.

Making the housing so much larger that there is room for an additional power supply wouldn't be complicated at all, but the bottom line is that people who travel a lot more than most probably need this. That's why it won't have any priority or benefit for the housing builders at that moment.

With newer cameras and usually much better battery performance, the topic is becoming more and more in the background.
Since I've been using the third and fourth generation Sony A7 series, for example, I haven't had the problems anymore. I'll have to see if I make some more videos again and see if it becomes an issue. If so, I will definitely build a new external power supply.

11 hours ago, Tino Dietsche said:

I did the whole thing for various Nauticam housings. RX100III, RX100IV, RX100V, Sony A7II series. It was always important to have a free M16 or M14 hole on the housing. Access to the housing is via a converted N6 flash socket.

I would be  look for a few pictures in the archive and possibly make a post in the DIY section

Great thanks you Tino.

Unfortunately I think it's a no-go - the NA-LX10 only has one M14 port, used by the vaccum valve.
Not sure what the flash socket is  - I do have unused optical fibre holes.

Screen Shot 2024-04-14 at 9.32.47.png

Edited by bghazzal

3 hours ago, bghazzal said:

Unfortunately I think it's a no-go - the NA-LX10 only has one M14 port, used by the vaccum valve.
Not sure what the flash socket is  - I do have unused optical fibre holes.

The only way in this case is the Nauticam Offset Connector with Vacuum Vavle.

Bildschirmfoto 2024-04-14 um 07.34.27.png

• Thanks 1

I recall a post from someone looking for a replacement battery for the Nauticam solution on WP a while back.  I suspect the reason it was discontinued is because the power pack they were using was no longer available and nothing on the market would fit there.  The issues seems to be that the power packs change size, shape, colour capacity, features etc, literally every 12 months.

The USB C connector solution seems to be the best option available, won't fit everything but it will allow you to charge battery and download photos without opening the housing. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chris Ross said:

I recall a post from someone looking for a replacement battery for the Nauticam solution on WP a while back.  I suspect the reason it was discontinued is because the power pack they were using was no longer available and nothing on the market would fit there.  The issues seems to be that the power packs change size, shape, colour capacity, features etc, literally every 12 months.

Yes, this could be a major issue

On 4/12/2024 at 3:07 PM, Giancarlo M. said:

Nauticam recently introduced a very helpful accessory. The USB-C camera-housing connector.

This should help charge the camera even on a small boat with a correct power bank and also download photos directly from the camera without eliminating the housing vacuum.

This should be very convenient to those with battery life issues.

https://www.nauticam.com/products/nauticam-usb-c-bulkhead-with-usb-c-connector

I added this bulkhead to my A6400 Nauticam housing, combined with this adapter to get to micro USB. It works fantastic.

Amazon.com: Poyiccot USB C to Micro USB Cable, 90 Degree Left Angle Micro USB Male to USB C Female Adapter Connector Cable Support Charge & Sync for Samsung and Micro USB Devices(Left Angle) : Cell Phones & Accessories

I removed the external battery holder from the bottom of my housing under the camera tray (3 allen screws), and the adapter connection sits in there. 

Allows me to charge between dives without breaking the vacuum, especially since removing my Tokina is from the front, so requires lots of disassembly.

On 4/14/2024 at 1:35 PM, Tino Dietsche said:

The only way in this case is the Nauticam Offset Connector with Vacuum Vavle.

Bildschirmfoto 2024-04-14 um 07.34.27.png

Wow - I didn't know these existed - I've found a DC coupler (dummy battery) for the LX10 (link) - could this be used with an external battery pack to power the compact?

Anything giving more battery life underwater would be fantastic.
When you were working with the RX100 series, what external battery pack were you using, and how did it compare to standard batteries when shooting video?

Thanks!

Ben

4 hours ago, bghazzal said:

Wow - I didn't know these existed - I've found a DC coupler (dummy battery) for the LX10 (link) - could this be used with an external battery pack to power the compact?

Anything giving more battery life underwater would be fantastic.
When you were working with the RX100 series, what external battery pack were you using, and how did it compare to standard batteries when shooting video?

Thanks!

Ben

Hi Ben,
I don't know about your camera, the Sony cameras can be charged via USB while in use. For this reason, my solution didn't require battery dummies or anything like that. A USB connection to the USB power bank to the camera was sufficient.

With the offset Connector from Nauticam, it should actually be possible. USB-Powerbank to USB-Connection in the housing or USB-Powerbank to your dummy-battery. 

With a little courage you can build the whole thing yourself relatively easily. Soldering iron, the necessary cables and some time. Different things would be possible for the housing for the power bank, old diving lamp, old underwater housing...

The simplest solution is without plug connections and a permanently cast or sealed cable connection. If I prefer to have a plug so that the whole thing can be used without the extra power supply, I would use old electrical lightning cables and sockets.
I'm looking for two more pictures to illustrate the whole thing or give an idea.

Tino

Edited by Tino Dietsche

2016-07-18_11h-49m-32s-by-Tino-Dietsche.jpg

Power Only Version for RX100II to be able to charge the camera between two dives. The USB-C socket mentioned in the posts above is basically the same. In principle, the idea is not new.

2016-07-17_19h-53m-05s-by-Tino-Dietsche.jpg

Inside a Sony A7II Housing from Nauticam, with a cable for power and data.

2024-04-15_14h-16m-42s-by-Tino-Dietsche.jpg

The S6 Connector to the "Underwater-Powerpack" from an old flash cable.

2019-03-27_13h-05m-53s-by-Tino-Dietsche.jpg

The USB-Powerpack inside the old housing of an diving light.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

image.jpeg

If your housing has a space reserved for flash trigger. It can be used to install a lithium polymer battery. It's a rudimentary method, but it works and will last for a day's diving. No need to open the housing.
battery are cheap and can be recharged over and over again .

组装后.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

• Thanks For Your Support

backscatter_block.gif Fotosubshop_Logo_Longnew.png
    isotta_logo.png INONlogo_Waterpixel.jpg
    marelux.gif nauticam_WPX.jpg
    RPV Banner.png Retra2.png
    SeaandSeaLogo.png turtlelogo.png
    image001.png image.png

image.png
    XRAY Magazine

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.