Ball Mount o-ring

Matan

Hi eveyone.

one of the o-rings on my Nauticam housing broke - can anyone share which size o-ring is required?

Also - I'm assuming I'm doing something wrong here - any tips on how not to damage the o-rings of any ball mounts?

Matan.

Edited by Davide DB
Appropriate title

1 hour ago, Chris Ross said:

To clarify is this the main o-ring or the o-ring on one of the balls mounts?   I've found the o-rings on the balls very durable my previous housing they lasted 6 years so far.

main o-ring break would flood the housing 🙂 

it's the ball mounts - once of them just broke - this is a used housing so nothing new here, just wanted to make sure I'm not doing anything that damages them. I occasionally put some silicon grease on them as well.

Matan.

• The title was changed to Ball Mount o-ring

Yes I'm aware of flooding it could also break being installed. 

You need to be a little careful with o-rings and lubricant.  The Nauticam o-rings are silicone I believe and if you apply actual silicone grease to them it can soften them.  The Nauticam lube is a universal lube for o-rings, a generic silicone grease will damage the Nauticam o-rings.

As I mentioned the Nauticam ones are very long lasting and I never did anything other than soak the whole housing after a dive, never added any type of lube.   I don't believe the o-rings need lube as their function to grip.  I recall someone mentioned the spec for the o-rings on here a while back but I don't remember the exact dimensions.  Nauticam of course sell theirs but they are expensive.

Thanks, I'll just source new Nauticam ones and stop the lubing thingy.

(yeah they are expensive but a one time payment for them every few years is still cheap - my CCR costs more annually 😄 ).

Matan.

3 hours ago, Matan said:

(yeah they are expensive but a one time payment for them every few years is still cheap - my CCR costs more annually 😄 ).

Matan.

Are you looking at the right o-rings? $16 USD for a pack of 10 (Backscatter, Bluewater Photo, etc) sounds like the cheapest purchase related to this hobby you might ever make 😛  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kamaros said:

Are you looking at the right o-rings? $16 USD for a pack of 10 (Backscatter, Bluewater Photo, etc) sounds like the cheapest purchase related to this hobby you might ever make 😛  

Still very expensive thought 

10 orings of that type in an hardware store don't add up to one dollar.

I have never understood why manufacturers of various types of diving equipment continue to want to make money on o-rings.

A set of o-rings from my previous rebreather from the manufacturer: 100 €. At the hardware store 10 €.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Matan said:

Matan.

I just checked a few of my Nauticam arms (with balls) and my ULCS arms (with balls). I did find one Nauticam O-ring (on a ball) with a signifiant gouge in it - that one will likely eventually break. The ULCS O-rings feel a little more "robust" (defintiely less soft). 

A gouge could easily turn into a snapped )-ring given enough friction and movement.

8 hours ago, Davide DB said:

Still very expensive thought 

10 orings of that type in an hardware store don't add up to one dollar.

I have never understood why manufacturers of various types of diving equipment continue to want to make money on o-rings.

A set of o-rings from my previous rebreather from the manufacturer: 100 €. At the hardware store 10 €.

But they're fancy blue o-rings! 

• Haha 5

32 minutes ago, Lewis88 said:

But they're fancy blue o-rings! 

... and as we all know, colour counts in your choice of scuba gear - whatever PADI quizzes might say.

• Haha 4

2-209 o-rings in buna are like 10 cents and in silicone are like 25 cents. I like softer o-rings for positional stability and change them once a year (when I remember). The only exception to the size is the XIT 404 versions, they use a different size (and different sizes for different XIT balls

bill

• Like 1

• Thanks for your support!!

Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.