Panasonic Lumix GH7

4 minutes ago, christophe chellapermal said:

hey changing a bit the topic im curious as to why did interceptor leave water pixels?? also i was talking to harald from seacam to see if there would be any chance of a gh7 i dont think it will happen either he didn't seemed thrilled with the idea and i don't think isotta will make one either... 

Did Interceptor leave the board? He was really aggressive on many occasions and probably got tired of people not automatically agreeing with his opinions. Just my speculation.

It's too bad because he has a lot of knowledge and experience to share. I know from years in Type-A dominated workplaces that learning how to effectively communicate with others is a common weakness for some of the smartest peole.

• Like 2

On 9/16/2024 at 10:45 PM, Architeuthis said:

As I see it, dual gain is implemented in several sensors, as you mention. In these previous models, however, the low gain A/D conversion is working at low ISO and at some, higher, ISO value, the high gain A/D converter replaces the low gain one (resulting in 12- or 14-bit raw files)...

The novelty with GH7 is that both low and high gain amplifiers work in parallel and from both signals a 16-bit raw file is generated (16-bit to allow encoding both the more coarse steps derived from low gain (what provides high DR) and the smaller ones derived from the high gain A/D (this one provides the smaller, lower noise, steps derived fro the shadows)...

I find the photons to photos site difficult to use, getting a clear explanation of what the various plots are showing is not the easiest.  Having said this maybe this plot shows the shadow improvement capability of the GH7 better:

https://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR_Shadow.htm#Panasonic Lumix DC-GH5,Panasonic Lumix DC-GH7,Sony ILCE-1,Sony ILCE-7RM5

I threw a couple of Sony cameras on for comparison, I think ILCE-1 is an A-1?  The GH-7 seems to do very well at getting shadow improvement if this chart is showing what I think it is.

and.......having said all that just how much value is extra dynamic range anyway?  Apart from sunballs most UW photos have a pretty low dynamic range and the first thing I do in processing is set levels and increase contrast.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Chris Ross said:

I find the photons to photos site difficult to use, getting a clear explanation of what the various plots are showing is not the easiest.  Having said this maybe this plot shows the shadow improvement capability of the GH7 better:

https://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR_Shadow.htm#Panasonic Lumix DC-GH5,Panasonic Lumix DC-GH7,Sony ILCE-1,Sony ILCE-7RM5

I threw a couple of Sony cameras on for comparison, I think ILCE-1 is an A-1?  The GH-7 seems to do very well at getting shadow improvement if this chart is showing what I think it is.

and.......having said all that just how much value is extra dynamic range anyway?  Apart from sunballs most UW photos have a pretty low dynamic range and the first thing I do in processing is set levels and increase contrast.

This graph is interesting, albeit I must admit that I do not really understand what, exactly, it means... :classic_laugh:

Maybe one can say that the parameter quantified for shadow improvement, is the same for all cameras at base ISO, for "conventional" cameras it makes a jump when the second gain kicks in, and then, for the GH-7 this parameter rises continously with ISO instead of making a jump?

I am in occasional contact with Massimo by EMail and he writes that he can raise "Exposure" in LR by +3 EV without noise problems (I find it a pity that he does not participate here any more). This sounds to me more like raw files from a FF camera (e.g. the Sony A7R5 that I have at present) - but better this new technology, that blews up the raw files to 16 bit, brings a substantial benefit...

I am eager to see the final results of serious reviews and the comparison to other cameras, e.g. the exposure series in DPReview, that will come out, hopefully, soon...

Wolfgang

Edited by Architeuthis

On 9/16/2024 at 2:38 PM, Davide DB said:

The only guy I found using Gh7 posts every week several BWand macro photo but, as usual, I couldn't get useful feeback from him via FB.

This guys has been posting for a while, macro and BW photos shot with a GH7:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/216446581877881/user/591319383

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.