How to use diopters?

Hello everyone. 

Let's say I have an SMC-1 and a Sony 90mm.

Can the diopter work at all lens focus ranges? 

Or does the diopter begin to work (come into focus) at the 1:1 focus range of the lens? 

Thank you. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, hedonist222 said:

Hello everyone. 

Or does the diopter begin to work (come into focus) at the 1:1 focus range of the lens? 

Thank you. 

Based on the lens + diopter you have a small focus range. 

For Nauticam there's a chart with the most common combinations.

4 hours ago, hedonist222 said:

Hello everyone. 

Thank you. 

It's pretty limited. Nauticam says your working distance 43-95mm. That's why a native lens that magnifies a lot is cool, like the OM Systems 90mm, which reportedly does 2:1, when most standard macro lenses do 1:1. Canon RF 100mm does 1.3:1.

18 hours ago, hedonist222 said:

Hello everyone. 

Thank you. 

The basic answer is yes, it will come into focus anywhere within the focus range of the lens.  The Nauticam quoted distances of 43-95mm, the working distance of 43 mm is at 1:1 and at 95mm working distance the lens is at infinity. 

1 hour ago, Chris Ross said:

The basic answer is yes, it will come into focus anywhere within the focus range of the lens.  The Nauticam quoted distances of 43-95mm, the working distance of 43 mm is at 1:1 and at 95mm working distance the lens is at infinity. 

I have Sony 90mm and SMC-1. It is certainly not possible to focus at infinity distance when the SMC-1 is mounted. As the others above write, working distance, where focus can be achieved, is 45mm - 93 mm and the maximum magnification that can be achieved (at 45mm), is 2.2x. When the working distance is bigger (up to 93mm), magnification is, accordingly, less...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Architeuthis said:

I have Sony 90mm and SMC-1. It is certainly not possible to focus at infinity distance when the SMC-1 is mounted. As the others above write, working distance, where focus can be achieved, is 45mm - 93 mm and the maximum magnification that can be achieved (at 45mm), is 2.2x. When the working distance is bigger (up to 93mm), magnification is, accordingly, less...

Note I said the lens is at infinity - not the subject.  When the lens is focused to infinty the focal plane is 93mm from the front element. 

• Like 2

On 7/22/2024 at 2:36 PM, Chris Ross said:

Note I said the lens is at infinity - not the subject.  When the lens is focused to infinty the focal plane is 93mm from the front element. 

May I kindly ask that you elaborate, Chris.

Thanks to everyone for contributing on this thread.

I will be back with more specific queries 🙂

Basically when I say the lens is at infinity it means it is focused to infinity, so in simple terms the distance scale shows infinity.   When the lens is at infinity focus, it is the minimum magnification and maximum working distance you can achieve and in this particular example the working distance is 93mm with the SMC diopter you mentioned as indicated on the port chart.   It can then focus all the way to 1:1 on the lens which with the diopter gives you 2.2x and 45mm working distance. 

• Like 1

Le 21/07/2024 à 15h38, Davide DB a déclaré :

Pour Nauticam, il existe un tableau avec les combinaisons les plus courantes.

I've been looking for this chart for a while, do you have a link?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2024 at 3:10 AM, Flo said:

THANKS. In fact, it's a comparison table with other lenses (INON for example) that I'm looking for 🙂

I'm not sure such a table has been developed.  One of the few sites comparing Nauticam and INON can be found in the this video:

You can use this information to place the magnification of the INON lenses against the Nauticam lenses.  You can compare the CMC and SMC by combing the port charts in particular the magnifications of the CMC and SMC lenses on the same lens the EF 100mm macro can be found in Canon RF port chart here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bvM2qfMy_r1Z4TNP5mH2ojJztrSv6tcF/view

It allows you to see the relative differences in magnification on the 4 Nauticam offerings, combining with the above video data to see where the INON lenses fit in regards to magnification.  It won't give you the exact magnification of any of the lenses but will allow you to rank them.

The fact that they are on different lenses and sensor formats doesn't really matter , the best that can be done without conducting a full scale test would be to rank them in order of magnification and then use the more complete data in the Nauticam port chart to estimate where other options might lie in comparison.

• Thanks 1

• Thanks for your support!!

Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.