Kraken 5.5 "ultra bright"u/w monitor

I wrote Kraken and Weefine about their 7" monitors. No replies from them 😶

I don't understand why all these new monitors (also SUPE) are depth rated to 80m. Once it was 100m. This breaks the deal for me.

Another strange spec is their weight underwater: Kraken writes 2140g on land/560g underwater for both models 5.5" and 7". Very strange indeed and it's a lot.

Anyway their lights are good.

Posted (edited)

David,

I ordered the 5.5 ultra bright and waiting on delivery. I have noticed most manufacturers will set a test depth for warrant and safety reasons. I had a TG-5 which is supposed to be good to 45ft. Took it to 100ft by accident, no water ingress.

Will give update as soon as I can test.

Edited by Tobyone
misspell
  • Thanks 1

I was interested in their 7" monitor which is a behemoth so I asked them some info. Here their reply:

7” Monitor: 2214g on land/560g underwater

5” Monitor: 1945g on land/320g underwater

The HDMI cable that is included is quite flexible but we are working on a 90 degree cable. It is not ready yet, however.

The 80m depth rating is because of the large pane of glass over the screen on the monitor. To ensure the integrity of the monitor, we only rate it down to 80m. It may be able to go deeper, but we cannot insure it for deeper and do not recommend taking it below 80m.

Depth rating and hdmi cable position are huge deal breakers for me.

The 5.5" has a more ergonomic hdmi position but same weird depth rating.

The only meaningful review is this but I guess you saw I already. If you are still alive, at the end, he speaks about a couple of weird things on the function buttons that could be solved via fw upgrade but who knows 🤷 

• Like 2

FYI - I ran into a new user of the 5.5” Kraken monitor yesterday.  He said he likes it overall.  The brightness is terrific, even in a shallow sunny dive.  He also stressed it is quite negative due to the very compact design.  He was adding more buoyancy to compensate.  The battery life was good.

The only concern he expressed was regarding their included video ribbon cable.  The thin design can cause it to flicker if the cable is moved.  He is working through a better HDMI cable solution for a more solid video connection.  Other than that he has been very happy thus far. 

Edited by ChipBPhoto
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ChipBPhoto said:

The only concern he expressed was regarding their included video ribbon cable.  The thin design can cause it to flicker if the cable is moved.

Yes, from camera body to the housing bulkhead they chose the same cables used for fpv drones.

The good: is cheap and easily available everywhere.

The bad: fragile. Especially in the part where the connectors are crimped to the ribbon.

• Like 1

• Thanks for your support

Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.