Roatan, Honduras

Beautiful images and editing Peter!

Are you still filming with Gopro + Inon?

It is a pity that the WB betrayed you on the last clip of the turtle. It almost looks like you had a red filter.

Thanks for sharing

• Like 2

Yes David still using the GoPro and Inon lens however the glass has some marks on it - not deep scratches but marks I can't remove with a simple rubbing.  Any suggestions would be very appreciated.  I need to protect that baby from scuffs!!

I agree the white balance is something I need to approve.  I am Red/Green color blind so I had my wife help me with the color on that  one clip in Final Cut Pro.  But it still needs improvement. 

Thank you so much for the constructive comment.  It will make me a better videographer!  

• Like 2

Hi Peter,

Don't misunderstand me. It is one of the best "gopro" video I have seen.

I went to your introduction post to discover you were using a Gopro otherwise it seem really a mirroless camera.

It is proof that a gopro in good hands (stable footage, good framing and good editing) can achieve as good as other cameras.
This video is definitely a benchmark for anyone using an action camera underwater.

On the final clip it looks like you have the red filter with the lights on. Hence the strong red cast on the nearby turtle.

90% of underwater videos shot with gopros have big problems with the stability of the footage. The gopro is very small and light and weighs less than the tray and arms.
What kind of tray do you use and how did you balance it?

• Like 1

Thank you for the kind words Davide.  I'm using a simple "boomerang type" metal tray and two Sola video lights. I keep it really simple. I do believe the wet lens that I'm using is a game changer though. 

Close focus wide angle is my favorite shooting style.

• Thanks 1

We just made our reservations for our next trip "home" in  January.  We are already looking forward to it.

I used to really dislike the Mr. Bud, but now that it has some growth on it, it is one of my favorite dives, along with the French Cay Cut.

Edited by SwiftFF5
typo
  • Like 1

Hi PeterN, nice and vivid colors from your video. I have recently been in Roatan and despite there are tons of bleaching/dead corals it's still a pretty enjoyable place for diving. The north area of the island is better no doubt. 

About fixing your Inon lens you could use some mild polishing products, but check first what is the front glass made of to be sure you use the proper product without damaging or removing the manufacturer coating. A glass quality 67mm filter in front can also protect it from future scratches. 

About 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Crasoner said:

About fixing your Inon lens you could use some mild polishing products, but check first what is the front glass made of to be sure you use the proper product without damaging or removing the manufacturer coating.

I thought the same but it's not.

Have a look at this thread:

• Like 1

Oh wow - good information.  I just ordered a "Shark Skin" wetsuit with a thigh pocket for my next trip.  I'm going to keep the lens in my pocket until I'm submerged then attach.  Hoping that will protect this or any future wet lens.  Camera rinse thanks on the boats scare me now. 

• Like 1

If you ever change wetsuits, a regular (but sturdy) cargo-short with buttoned pockets, worn over what ever wetsuit you're using work fine (neoprene cargo shorts with pockets designed for diving also exists, but if it's pockets you're after, a good cargo short does the trick just fine for a fraction of the price - a lot of guides in warm-water locations use these rather than boardshort type swimtrunks as they last longer).

The only thing to look out for is metal - buttons  / bungees instead of metal fasteners like zippers, as they will break down quickly in salt water)

You can also get generic neoprene pouches the size of your lens to protect it better, which gives you the option to tie them to something.

cheers

Edited by bghazzal
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Thanks for your support

Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.